Canary tokens

When you’re dealing with semi-legal surveillance systems that can’t even be used as evidence in court without being classified at the highest levels, obscurity is in fact a kind of security. It’s not worth it for the powers that be to ostentatiously reveal to everyone just how tightly the iron glove is around our - and their - throats if we’re not a major threat to them. Home growing just isn’t, at this point… and so, unless any of us on here are interfering in their geopolitical games of power, they’re unlikely to care about any of our nonsense. Why would the NSA care about any of this?

5 Likes

Security works on both ends client and server side. Obviously everyone’s choices are there own client side. Server side, country of sever location and what information is collected by server of users? Of that information how long are logs kept?

At least in the US the law says if the government comes knocking and they got the paperwork you have to give them all the information you have.

The workaround is simply, don’t collect information or store logs. I am sure this will effect everything from search engine optimization to monetization but security is both a pain and costly.

3 Likes

OG seems to have great security and is the only place I feel comfortable posting about my activity

We will make a good faith effort to:

Delete all server logs containing IP address of registered members (trustlevel 2+) within one hour after they have logged out.
Delete any photo metadata contained in uploaded images before publishing them on the web.
Anonymize all user posts and delete user account upon user’s request.

1 Like

obviously i’m not worried about it logged in with an easily trackable username. hell, i registered a domain with it. i also know not to post anything incriminating, but it does have such a cool vibe to the site i wonder if others who aren’t as careful as me have posted things they shouldn’t have. not that it’s the website’s responsibility to handle that, but they actually do by scrubbing metadata and deleting logs, nice job for going above and beyond. it’s just something i was sitting here thinking about this morning and figured i’d throw it out there to see where it went. it’s been mentioned before and i tend to agree, the feds don’t have the time to chase after a few random growers.

Fools 'em every time.
:+1:

5 Likes

“Hey kid your moustache is on upside down.”

4 Likes

I remember back in the 70s when my High Times Magazine used to come in a plain wrapped brown paper sleeve :rofl: when there was true real headshops till the man decided to start raiding them, and we became the true hunted outlaws for enjoying what Mother Nature had to offer with out human influence.THE MAN SUCKS and needs to stay in their own lane. Watch out all, as the man :man: has his eye :eye: on us all in this world now just watch the news and see how many people are caught on camera doing things. Makes you wonder :flushed::thinking:

2 Likes

That’s one of my favorite shows! Sheer stupidity in action! Then they see the camera and I just crack the fuck up!

1 Like

Dumb is as dumb does! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I never liked this quote. It’s like saying a soldier doesn’t need camouflage just because he’s wearing body armor :wink: Camo may not stop a bullet but it can stop it from being fired at you

3 Likes

I tend to believe this. If nothing else, I’d like to hope if LEO is surveilling us, what they’ll learn is we’re mostly all harmless and spend the majority of our time in our house and on our own property keeping to ourselves. That in itself must be a positive thing in their mind.

Plus, I wonder if other states monitor places like this to learn what legalization is really like. I saw the other day where even in Texas, they’re supposed to be passing a bill that will de-criminalize weed and expunge past arrest records.

I’m hoping that people in law can see that we’re all just a bunch of hobbyists spending tons of money of fertilizers and grow room gear, and mostly just sit at home smoking and eating food.

The worst thing I think I’ve seen here is that some people may grow a few extra plants over their limit. All that means is that guy spends even more time at home, WORKING, LOL. I still have bags of old pot from years ago. I save them until I get my seeds out of them. I wish I could make some money selling pot. I’m 68 and those days are long gone for me. :v: :policeman:

7 Likes

it’s ok to have as long as you don’t rely on it. and since you used the analogy, it’s like cover and concealment. you need both, but don’t rely on concealment to keep you from getting shot.

Security through Obscurity was the claim from back in the day when using computers. People would make the claim that since “operating system X” wasn’t used very much it was obvious less secure than windows but since windows was used all the time and was well known, it was the OS that had all the security problems… even though obviously it was more secure, right?
So then I pipe up “yah… logically VMS is the least secure system in the world, right?” bah. DEC ALPHA BABY!!!

1 Like

also things like not broadcasting ssid, changing ports, spoofing mac addresses, etc.

Even though back in the 90’s SWIM told me not to worry, it was posited that if you were making less than $1M nobody was looking, :joy: until 2010 I was always using a proxy and VPN because I am paranoid :sweat_smile:
:raised_hands: …because some local LEA’s may have lower tolerance thresholds or nosey agents with nothing better to do than try to cause problems

I grew into it.

2 Likes