Canary tokens

as i was sitting here looking at the threads i noticed a trend. there are multiple threads that list things about people like what kind of music they listen to and what kind of pets they have and even one that lists what kind of weapons folks carry. it’s good entertainment, i have posted in a couple of them myself, but given the fact i live in a state where we are not allowed to grow, it got me wondering what would happen if a leo ever asked for information on users at overgrow. i know there is a procedure they have to go through and you’re not allowed to say anything about the requests usually so i wondered if there was a warrant canary set up to let us know if the site ever got compromised.

i’m not worried for myself since i’m not doing anything illegal like growing pot but i do know someone who is. i like the website and it does have that family feel to it, and that is why i posted this thread. you never know who knows what about anything and you don’t know what to ask about if you don’t know it. so to that end, i hope everyone gets some useful information and learns something that could keep them out of trouble. it is extremely hard to get out of after you’re in it already sometimes.

13 Likes

Now that I know the names of all your pets, just send me the name of the street on which you grew up along your email address and I’ll make sure it stays extra secure for you :wink:

Pretty sure the OG servers are not anywhere in US jurisdiction and as such any attempts by law enforcement would be fruitless, at least for those of us in the Americas. I’ll bet Joe has a pretty solid grasp of the laws involved though.

8 Likes

Your own comfort level is the most important thing. Only post things you are comfortable with being made public. I’m legal so I don’t care but there was a time when I didn’t tell nobody about nothing.

10 Likes

It’s a valid question. If memory serves correct years ago OG had a “incident”. I don’t know the exact details as I was around then but just reading and not actively participating. So it would be nice to know so more of the details of how the site is secured.

No security is ever perfect and those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

4 Likes

that’s what got me thinking since i was active on the other site before it went down, but had just stopped growing due to a friend getting busted. as far as anyone getting anything useful from anything posted, everything is useful if aggregated properly and some tla agencies have lots of computing power to spare on it. as far as the servers not in the us or it’s jurisdiction, anyone familiar with the way things work with extradition and leo cooperation knows that there are few places in the world safe from us interference, most of them being former warsaw pact members (wonder what they call themselves now if anything?). as i said, i’m not doing anything illegal but i have no illusions that i am safe from anything just because of it. especially with rico statues and the bullshit needed to clear a name in the us. i’d like to hear that something is set up to let us know if anything happens. it seems like the right thing to do, especially since so many of us are not in places where we can just do as we wish.

5 Likes

You wouldn’t have caught me dead on here just a few years ago. I wouldn’t even go into a hydroponics store…Co-ops…in different towns.

6 Likes

Oh the joys of driving to 3 or 4 towns to pick up one or two things in each town.:sweat_smile: Makes for a pain in the ass, but that’s what we did. I didn’t come out from under my rock till 2017-18 when we went legal. Long time underground but its a brave new world now!!
:canada::v:

7 Likes

I remember when you didn’t make eye contact at hydro shops and don’t ask and don’t tell and don’t ever say that highly dangerous word.

4 Likes

You mean “debit”?

4 Likes

One of several highly dangerous words.

Actually that’s not quite true. There was one shop that didn’t give a shit and it got busted.

The don’t ask don’t tell one’s, many still exist.

2 Likes

Remember when you couldn’t say “bong” in a head shop?
“Oh! Lemme take a look at that sick fumed beaker bottom tobacco water pipe!”

9 Likes

“Tobacco use only wink wink.”

4 Likes

I can understand the curiosity but surely you don’t expect the site to unpack its safety methodology for you here in a thread? Or anywhere else for that matter…

I think the phrase for that feeling is “5-0 vibe”

1 Like

This right here.

Everyone’s exposure is unique to them but we should all know by now the web is a sewer* so dress for it. Internet hygiene is a thing.

*a donkey show with Gallagher, in a sewer

5 Likes

The sewer is handy…if you love to toss shit around. bah hah! You practically have to be a 4chan coomer if you want to survive.

1 Like

Gallagher doing his Sledge-O-matic in the sewer…
Now that congers a mental image… :rofl: :+1:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

It’s hard to say. With the NSA mirroring all internet traffic with setups like room 641a, and with US and European companies banning --and Google dropping-- Huawei even though Huawei provided the most security updates for their OS and despite the fact that security researchers had examined the OS and found it to be the most secure of all Android OS’s, it seems that you can’t get away from LEO snooping and if you find a way…like using a phone that can’t be snooped on…they will place a ban on the tech you use to hide your data and come after you to see what you are hiding from them. I remember many years ago a hacker from the Philippines had done something and it was on the news one day that he used multiple VPN’s and all sorts of obfuscation methods and the FBI still tracked him down and arrested him in 3 days. :man_shrugging:
There is no hiding when everything we do is in plain sight.

2 Likes

When I say “exposure” I mean level of risk not likelihood of being observed. There really is no way to participate on the web absolutely unobserved, that’s assumed. Relative unimportance is perhaps the most effective camouflage.

5 Likes

This is why I remain dull but I also wear a false moustache as a disguise.

8 Likes

Obscurity is not security and security is a illusion. It’s really more of a matter of risk-tolerance, just as a few others have pointed out. Any bit of information revealed can surprisingly be used to pivot to and reveal even more, seemingly unrelated, information. -just depends on access to tools and time. Modern nation states with access to quantum computers are not constrained by encryption. There are no secrets among them.

4 Likes