Centipedes yay or nay

Are centipedes harmful to weed plants?I seen a couple small ones in my mulch and I had a feeling to let them do thier thing and let them go on thier way back in the mulch…Do they keep dirt gnats at bay by eating the larvae?

1 Like

They are the brown gold ones

1 Like

Not all centipedes have the same diet, and quite a few of them are brown and gold. If you can find a pic showing the type you found, it’ll be much easier to determine what they eat. But generally speaking, I think your plants are safe. They eat bugs, eggs and organic matter in the soil (or mulch). Keep 'em around - I bet they’ll appreciate having a warm place to live out the winter, and will likely work for their shelter by eating things you don’t want or won’t miss.

3 Likes

Most definitely to be predatory I’ll keep these guys ground.I got rid of some dirt gnats again and I noticed the pots with the centipedes running around are super healthy and stopped yellowing leaves and have no dirt gnats at all.

5 Likes

I was always am Asteroids > Centipede kind of guy.

But as far as trackball oriented games went, Centipede was a good one!

6 Likes

I think that track ball game was far superior than those terrible golf track ball games you have to buzz the ball with your hand to get the golf ball to land in the sand traps.

1 Like

Agree on that one.

Missile Command and Marble Madness were great games though…

2 Likes

This is going to turn into a Galaga/asteroids fight :rofl:

5 Likes

Galaga FTW! God, I loved that game!!!

7 Likes

This guy/girl stopped by to do a bug threat assessment. Quoted me a cheap price (will work for food) so i hired him or her.

It’s a house centipede

4 Likes

The ones I have in my pot have eliminated all my dirt gnats I haven’t seen a single one in over a week now.I was watching them eat the Little white Larvae like tic tacs.I can confirm they will eat Soft body insects

3 Likes

Highly beneficial! They are veracious eaters! :+1:

2 Likes