Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Did you end up going that route?

Hows it working out for you?

@dequilo

Got 6 of these pans. 4 strips per pan.

Killer deal.

Anyone incorporating any deep and far red into their builds?

Do u have on a separate driver or run it continuously?

8 Likes

you sound like your on our way …something I’m looking to get into creating my own vs china made…keep us posted on your progress :grinning: sound like you going to be my inspiration

Just wanted to send a quick thank you to everyone who posted their builds and help everyone out with this. All I have left is to wire the strips together and to the driver and my lights are complete!

27 Likes

A word of caution, the datasheet calls out 18-24 AWG solid for the interconnect wiring.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

That is precisely what I used, 18g solid. Thanks for the heads up though! I’ve been triple checking builds here for the last couple months lol.

3 Likes

I like to use a bit of 14 or 12 to get from the last Wago to the driver when making hlg-320 lights

1 Like

You can get it in but its bending internal connections. That connection is sound (its been tested and certified) but good luck removing it. That’s why it’s specd to 18.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

If I was to make a panel for a veg tent for a perpetual grow, am I high or would it be nice to use all the spectrums to give one end a nice area to pre bloom the plant I transplant a week before flower?

2 Likes

Most in this thread say straight 3500K with the Bridgelux as it covers the spectrum pretty well all on its own.

4 Likes

My girlfriend and I want to try growing some veggie sprouts (like bean sprouts etc). We’ve got a shelving rack and I thought LED strips would be perfect for lighting. After looking at digikey I’m confused as hell and thinking these high powered strips might be overkill.

How many watts/sq ft do you think sprouting seedlings would need roughly? Would something like this be sufficient?

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001652992140.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.6f41783f2cUZmv&browser_id=6e5f6959e7664ca88d554bb164a554bd&aff_trace_key=&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=178c8d7d4bb2405f9afe36534164473f2b9b1a8a1e&gclid=&imgsrc=ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H726aa6a5b2824cc582ef4b111c0660ccZ.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

3 Likes

Bean sprouts should not be exposed to light as far as I know. Microgreens on the other hand might need some light but not too much.

4 Likes

Nice work on the light fixture @ChronicMcBudz!

2 Likes

Thank you! Never would have been able to do it without OG! Scared the crap out of myself when I first plugged it in. Had the dimmer turned all the way down and it doesn’t light up until about 25% of the way. The first 5 or 10 seconds my heart about stopped til I turned the dial then wham! Bout blinded the wide lol

8 Likes

I asked a similar question a while ago @Mr.Sparkle suggested I build a light for veggie starts at 15 watts a square foot but run at around 10 watts per square. Ended up building a stronger light but have only been running it at 10 watts per square foot a few inches away from the tops and the veggies have loved it.

4 Likes

honestly if just starting veggies another option is to find an older T8 4foot floro fixture or 3 and pick up some “mainfit” Led Retro fit bulbs, just have to rewire the light to direct mains for those bulbs and allows you to remove the old ballast too, or the instafit ones if the ballasts are good, though less effecient

Bulbs are like $8 a piece

Can upgrade the house at the same time :wink:

3 Likes

True I didn’t think of that. I did consider regular floro shoplights, but I’m sick of those lol

@Chronickyle thanks I’ll shoot for 10-20 watts/Sqft and hopefully get something dimmable to dial it in.

Looks like I have some reading to do, thanks!

2 Likes

@beacher i ended up building mine at 30 watts a square so that after veggie season I can use it for flowering. It dimms right down to 10 watts a square no problem.

4 Likes

Did you use bridgelux type strips? I started pricing it out and it looked like I would be in for a couple hundred to run a 4 shelf unit. It would be nice, but I’d rather do it on the super cheap.

2 Likes

I used the bridgelux gen 2 strips built a 2*4 that could be used for flower cost a bit less than a buck a watt.

3 Likes