Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

you want these instead as those are the 5000k one, well unless you want those.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/bridgelux/BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3/7907661

And you would be looking at 8 strips per xlg-240-l-ab driver, or the M series as well if you want to run parallel chains.

The driver will need to be turned up a tiny bit to max it out but no different that what was needed anyways with the other strips.

4 Likes

Much Thanks! I will order shortly :pray:

1 Like

Depends on how much DIY’ing your wanting to do, and if you can solder and such. But with the bridgelux eb2 strips that would work well for you being out of stock.

12 of the following strips and one of the following drivers should work well for your tent.

https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lighting-solutions--light-engine-led-assemblies--light-engines/smjd-3618072c-xxn100d20f038all-seoul-semiconductor-1128372

https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/semiconductors--lighting-solutions--led-driver-modules-rev/xlg-240-m-ab-mean-well-4116591

You will still need to get a 100k linear potentiometer and appropriate wire and frame material.

Cost wise your gonna be over $100 especially if your in the states because of a 25% trump tariff on alot of these electronic goods.

If looking for more prebuilt options figure your porbably gonna have to end up spending 2.5-3 times your $100 figure to adequately light your tent, but depending on what you get you can build it up in stages and just run an under utilized tent plant wise and still get some bud but a couple of the the HLG 100 v2’s or 65’s, or say marshydro ts1000 would be places to start there, but would need to be expanded on if wanting to utilize your tent a bit more.

10 Likes

Wow. All I can say is WOW. Many many thanks to you guys for helping all us newbie DIY’ers out! I myself am just starting out and wow there sure is a lot of info out there. But by far, this is the best yet! @Mr.Sparkle, @Shadey and all you other guys many thanks. I am doing my best to make a couple of different setups to try out in 2x2 rooms. I am going to have 4 rooms housing 1-2 plants in each room. I want to try different lights in each room as well soils, LST, etc. Just to see what happens with the same strain but different conditions. Hope to do a strip setup, a qb setup, HID, and either cfl or ??? I’m not concerned about hydro costs. Well I might be someday :). Reason why I am picking 2x2 rooms, is that way you are able to expand by making more light panels. Soooooo. If anyone wants to offer any suggestions or advice or ideas, I would be happy to try things out. I will post my works here as well to share for everyone. Maybe let’s start with a strip build? Use the same fixture for veg and flower? Dimmable, XLG driver, ???
Talk soon :slight_smile:
Dezi
BTW, I’m from SW Ontario

8 Likes

Thank you so much for the details! I’m from europe so Trump is not a problem luckily. I was looking at the marshydro because it’s assembled and around my budget (+40$) but i want the best for the baby that’s going to be in there so would you recommend to buy, or to assemble one?

1 Like

all depends on what you want to do and further goals, gave an option above if you wanted to build one which would be good for your 80cm tent, otherwise say if you wanted to go down the marshydro route rethinking on it two of the SP-150 would be the way to go but they are out of stock in europe, but with those you could start with one and buy a second when you have the funds or desire to add more light, cause two of those would work well in that tent.

The TS1000 would be under powered but still grow buds also would be awkward to add a second light later just because of its dimensions, now the tsw2000 would be more than enough and should work well but also 2.5 timers your original budget.

So yeah either build if you want to go down that route, or try the sp-150’s if you can get a hold of them.

2 Likes

@DezmondG welcome to the forums and throw up a grow journal if your already running plants :wink: , sounds like you may be thinking about starting a grow, though check around over int he grow journal section and see what people are doing in tents you may get some ideas on what looks good to you.

5 Likes

I have started my first grow. 4’x4’ tent with 600w hid. Just switched to 12/12 light yesterday. I have been getting photos and for sure I will get a journal posted. I like to tinker and try new and different things. That’s why I want to build 4 separate 2’x2’ rooms. I want to build some different light styles for each room and grow the same strain and see what the results are from different lights. I want to build my first light as a strip. Probably use the strips you pointed out up above. But I was also thinking about adding some side lights and maybe ir and uv? Again this is for the fun of the diy crowd. I’m just not sure what strips to get with what drivers. I want to use dimmers and also if I need to, a couple of drivers. That way I could control what colour temps would be on etc? I have the frame materials all figured out as well as passive heat sinks.

Is this something you guys would be interested in helping me out along the way? Again many thanks :slight_smile:

Dezi

1 Like

Hey @Mr.Sparkle. you mentioned above 12 strips for roughly a 3x3 space. Do you think I could get away with the same parts for a 2x2 and dim them down? Or should I get less strips and find a different driver?

1 Like

for a 2’x2’

9 strips of your color temperature of choice whether 3500k or 4000k or whatever coupled to a xlg-150-m-ab driver and built out in a 3p3s array should be more than enough for a 2x2

and just need a 100k lineal potentiometer like i used for my bridgelux based lights, and then you have dimming ability.

Pretty cheap at least for me in Canada at around $110cnd, in the states it would be about $85usd before a 25% trump tarrif on electronic parts so you would probably be looking in the $105-115 range after wire and frame materials.

But at that point maybe looking at a prebuilt like a Spiderfarmer SF-1000, or a marshydro sp150 or ts1000 would be the way to go for not much more $$

7 Likes

Ya I’m in SW Ontario. Thanks for the answer. Would Arrow still be my best place to purchase from? Again many thanks and I will for sure post pics of my build :).

1 Like

Future Electronics for those above strips, and digikey was/is my favorite typically for the bridgelux but they are out of stock.

Arrow does seem to have some 560mm bridgelux EB2 strips in stock but they are the 5000k and 5700k ones

But here are the future electronics links again, they dont have a cart share option like digikey unfortunately

3500k 560mm Seoul semiconductor strips
https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lighting-solutions--light-engine-led-assemblies--light-engines/smjd-3618072c-xxn100d20f038all-seoul-semiconductor-1128372

XLG-150-M-AB driver
https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/semiconductors--lighting-solutions--led-driver-modules-rev/xlg-150-m-ab-mean-well-1113130

Would be 9 strips in a 3p3s array and 1 driver if building a light for a 2x2 space.

oh and amazon listing for a 100k linear Potentiometer, only need one though, and i usually buy them from where my parts are coming from “digikey”, but future electronics doesn’t have any not in bulk amount.

4 Likes

Hi to all, I am looking for a cheap way to add some far red (730nm) LEDs to my flower tent to help kick start the flower cycle. I did a test recently and the results were noticeable. I am looking to build a long narrow frame with far red LED strips so i can hang it between the two other lights in the flower tent when required. However, I am finding it hard to locate some strips that fit what i am looking for.

What i am looking for: Reasonably priced and reasonable quality far red LED strips. Without any other spectrum LED on them.

Can anyone point me to a name or brand to search for as I have found nothing so far.

2 Likes

I am also thinking of adding these to my lights, I haven’t looked on Digikey yet, as I have greater needs for other stuff atm.

Also looking for far red and IR as well as UV to add to mine. It will be a while before I do. Probably when I upgrade to an 8x4. I’ll have to add another 8 strips and a driver for the main lighting but it will leave room for the others. Right now in my 4x4 I’ve got strips 1/2 inch apart or less all the way across the tent

1 Like

know that what i think a grow light should be like the size of it

1 Like

hey @Malcolm, i remember you were looking for a info about light and led strips, hope this thread will help out!

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great article for diy led lighting, lots of good information.
One thing I picked up on, reading through the thread, is the problem drilling accurate hole to secure the led strips. Once you have marked where you want to drill, take a punch or nail and with a hammer tap a indentation into the metal or wood. You don’t have to swing like Thor, just a tap. Your drill bit will have a place to start and not wander, accurate holes every time. My $0.02!

8 Likes

@Tejas is correct, hole position is critical (+/-0.015").
Your best bet (esp. for longer strips) is make an accurate template. Test the template before you trust it…

Cheers
G

3 Likes