Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Double check your polarity, LEDs only work one way.

3 Likes

OK I have wired them up like this.

I first did just the bottom in series + at one end and - at the other but could not get a circuit until I wired the top of each strip side together is that right?

How do I find the polarity on these strips?

2 Likes

Just swap you positive and negative and give it a try. More details would help. How many strips and what driver.

2 Likes

your shorting it with the extra loops at the top, remove that, needs to pass through the led circuits not around it :wink:

@Shadey

7 Likes

16x560 mm strips 240 w driver

Do all the strips have to be lined up the same way I have 1 upside down to the others?

I will try and remove the wires without destroying the clips like I have done on one already.

3 Likes

well also depends on “what driver”

as for removing the wire, there is a hole on each connector, use a pin or small philips screw driver to push in on that it will cause the jaws to open on the wire. You will have to wiggle it a bit for it to pop out easily

4 Likes

@Shadey Obviously have it disconnected when you do this, and also just make sure your polarity is correct.

4 Likes

@Shadey as for the upside down strip, so long as your circuit path is negative to positive between each strip then its shouldnt matter, but might as well flip it while your at it…

But that’s only with the xlg-240-l-ab driver, casue say you picked up some hlg driver with low voltage but high current then they would need to be connected in parallel

3 Likes

xlg 240 L AB

Yes its disconnected before I touch anything. How do you check polar
changed the polarity not got nothing

3 Likes

Yep that’s it.

Basically remove all the wires up here, they are shorting you out.

4 Likes

yeh did that…/…/…

3 Likes

@Shadey

Your pic you posted was correct except for what sparkle and I mentioned, just remove those wires up top and it will work.

3 Likes

calling it 1quits before i damage them losing my temper fuckinh hands are shaking so much can6t do a fucking thing and just stabbed myself in the finger with an exacto knife removing tape, oiswsing blood everywhere now

5 Likes

no it doesnt lol,67i… i am going to re do all the pugs and connecters again later

5 Likes

Just to be clear you have all 16 strips wired or just the 3 in your pic?

Also make sure your dimmer is turned all the way up.

But yes 100% no doubts the pic you posted (minus the top wires) was correct.

3 Likes

Okay looking at the strips in the first post, if one of them is the wrong way, that is your problem.

Look at the posts, one is a +, the other a - .You want to wire the + to the -

If one got flipped, you may be connecting a - to a - or a + to a +, thus not completing the curcuit…

6 Likes

Good catch @ReikoX!!! That’s a problem right there I just went and double checked and yeah, if you flip one strip the wrong way it fucks up the chain.

@Shadey flip that strip mannnn

3 Likes

Right, bandaged finger, took a large dose of CBD oil for my back pain and frustration had a smoke and a beer to calm down. Checked it again, one of the connecting wires either wasn’t fully in or shorting out because of all the blood over it, flipped the strip, and we have light :heart_eyes: its working thank you very much guys for your help and patience…

19 Likes

I love it when a plan comes together!

7 Likes

I’m switching out uv 300watts for clearwhite 175watts.

1 Like