Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

I noticed in your grow journal that it appeared you have two 2 x 2 foot sections of the Bridgelux lamp to form one 2 foot by 4 foot lamp…is that correct? and also that if my reading comprehension is right that you are running TWO XLG-150-AB’s to power the whole lamp, so one per section? And it looks like 20 of the 560mm strips, right? I have a 2 x 4 foot tent I want to have one light do the whole she bang and liked your setup, so was just trying to get some info. I have still to figure out the framing setup and liked the wood idea at first but then thought it MAY be too heavy? Not sure on that. But I can figure the frame out but wanted to nail down the deets on the rest. I appreciate the help!

5 Likes

@randrobertson522 They are 2 seperate frames (20"x22" in my case)

Each frame has 10 560mm strips, powered by an XLG-150-L-AB

Wood is fine, anything lightweight will work, really. 1"x1"x1/8" aluminum angle like I used is actually pretty heavy, heavier than wood of the same size I think.

6 Likes

Oh ok, so they are two separate lights, wired independently to their own driver…great…thanks again!

4 Likes

What did that cost to make a side @TrevorLahey.
I like that lots and what’s your total watts psf =?

4 Likes

@OleReynard @randrobertson522

Here ya go guys

https://www.digikey.ca/short/pdp585

That’s for 1 side ($121CAD)

I like this setup as it’s modular and can fit a 2x2, and can be expanded to fit a 2x4 just by adding another frame. And it gives you individual panels to raise/lower or dim/brighten as needed, if you like having that level of control.

Total watts per square foot 37.5.

These strips run at 175lm/w efficiency so each side is ~26,250lm for a total of ~52,500lm

My 315w SIL array only puts out about 27,000lm! That means one of these 150w frames is about the same lumen output as 315w of screw in bulbs!

9 Likes

Be hard to put away the hp’s

5 Likes

Right on, man! Thanks MUCH for the time put in to help! Waves of positive vibes coming at ya…:wind_blowing_face:…NOW!

5 Likes

This is my latest build using QB132’s HLG panels 3500K 4 panels for 109.99 US
I mounted them to a thick aluminum cookie sheet, industrial baking pan. Then a power supply and meter to dial it in

Power supply is 36v adj. with in line meter to see where the boards are running all wired in parallel.
runs at 36v approx right at 2000ma 300watts from the wall.

15 Likes

What’s the dims on each board?
12 x 20 or something like that

4 Likes

approx 12 inches long (Ouch that is what they said) and 9.2 inches wide
Amazon has QBs on there site

5 Likes

Not sure if you get notified when I reply

4 Likes

And God said ‘let there be light’, then he bled all over the place, took some CBD and grabbed a beer!

7 Likes

Yep I got it :+1: Soo 22 x 48 would be over 4 bills.
Do you like them and have you tried these strip lights that seem to be the craz

3 Likes

I also considered those boards as well, as its a pretty good deal for what they are. They are composed of the lm301b diodes which in the 3500k range are around 190-205lm/w vs the bridgelux eb2’s 175ish so they are more efficient but at a cost increase

6 Likes

My completed assemble is 18x 24 approx so 8 panels (2 of the lights I built) would be 18 x 48 inches.)approx.
I know quite a few guys who say they are getting 2g/w I just built mine and have yet to use it.
You would also need two drivers , They have recommended drivers at the site. I used 36volt power supplies in parallel.

7 Likes

Say lumen to lumen vs cost, not that your running the QB at nominal as your typically over driving them

But one of the QB 132 v2s would be equivalent to 2 of the 560mm gen 2 strips, if both were running at nominal voltages and amperage, but cost difference between them is roughly $33 for the QB132 v2 and $15 for the EB2 series, so even at the same price your getting twice the amount of light with the EB series if running at nominal, saying that though the QB are typically over driven by at least double so its kinda even in the end, just one is running harder and hotter in a smaller area vs one that isnt.

The lm301b’s are a better diode though

7 Likes

HLG has a lot of diff/QBs
Check them out https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/
I am sending a PM not sure if I can post other sites for info

5 Likes

Yeah i know there products, and post away as this thread is all about cheap-ish diy led alternatives.

5 Likes

No problem Thanks I was looking at Shadeys light he just built that lead me here
I like it and was wondering how much and where the parts came from , but believe it or not the 300 watt QB light I built cost me less , but may be due to the exchange rate also.
And my hand would be killing me after putting in all those rivets LOL
Nice to meet you Bro

7 Likes

Thks just saw this now

4 Likes