Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Hey @Mr.Sparkle, on Future Electronics I see

BXEB-L0280F-35G1000-H-C3 (280mm) in packs of 1 and 200 (minimum 2000)
BXEB-L0560F-35G2000-H-C3 (560mm) in packs of 1 and 200

Are these the ones you were looking for? Seems they are available in small quantities now.

So this is the new cool stuff? I might need to build a light in the near future.

Going through this thread again I wonder how many of these would be good for 2x2? 4 or 5 of the 560mm? (Edit: probably rather 8–9, I got that confused with the HO version)

3 Likes

yeah noticed you could “preorder” on future though estimated arrival date is some time in fall, unless that has changed

…never mind looks like they have some stock good spot… now do i put in a order when i have no “need” to upgrade.

4 Likes

Around 8 will do and over driving them at around 140-150%

1 Like

Thanks! Another question about the driver if I may… I thought I had figured it out for the Gen 2 and the older Gen 3 with 19v, now the newer ones are 38.1V if I read the PDF correctly. Mean Well seems to have several that go up to 38V. Can I use those or is the .1 supposed to tell me to use something else? Do you have a recommendation by any chance?

2 Likes

XLG-150-H-AB

it falls into the 27-56V range and can be adjusted for your desired max current output then you can just add a 100k linear potentiometer for brightness control otherwise

6 Likes

Excellent, thanks so much! :pray:

1 Like

Dived in and grabbed some of the Newer F90 Bridgelux strips this being my Third and final upgraded panel.

Compared to my gen 2 EB with some added gen 3 thrive strip panels, and doing a reskin on the wall shineys in my bottom two cabs lux output wise i netted a 22-25% increase in efficiency.

Liking them so far

20 Likes

That much?! :+1: :star_struck:

I better review my numbers, I’ve been thinking about 2 more big lights down the road… :thinking:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Consider i was calculating beforehand of about 22% on just light output alone just because i had some lower lm/w Thrive strips in there bringing down my average output in compensation for some higher cri strips vs say if just straight EB2’s 80cri strips at least lumen wise the F90’s would be about a 12-14% increase but different class cri wise.

The 80cri gen 3 strips still output the most amount lm/w wise though the f90’s are knocking on the door and bumping up to a 90cri in the process so like for like the F90’s throw out about 17% more light at the same CRI.

5 Likes

How careful are you in regards to the CRI?
I’ve been mostly interested in the lm/w & have been largely ignoring CRI. I figured if it’s in the PAR band - good enough :smile: but maybe not?..

Cheers
G

5 Likes

initially for me light was light the more the better reason why i went higher CRI is just so i could view the plants better saying that there is some info out there that higher CRI lights are better for growing than those that are lower, specifics on why may just be that the light output is more rounded vs say peaking in areas that may not be beneficial to us but i haven’t fully gone into that data.

Currently, the plants look good with the new lights and output wise they are more efficient so :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

The Bridgelux EB3 higher CRI strips have more far red, so they are basically ePAR monsters. The better color accuracy is noticeably nicer to work under.

However, Bugbee found that the most important thing is total DLI within PAR range. If you can get 700-750nm without sacrificing the 400-700, might as well due to the Emerson Effect. Also, don’t go more than about 10% blue in your PAR output, since intensity has the same effect as blue on keeping plants compact, but doesn’t slow or limit their growth like blue does. And blue/UV has little to no effect on total cannabinoids.

8 Likes

So… I have a bunch of HLG 54a/b drivers… 120, 240, 320s, and a 600. I’ve been running 4x hlg qb288 rspec boards on a 600h-54ab in my 4.5x4.5 but have been wanting to go to strips for better coverage. As-is I can only run around 450w through those 4 boards before light stress.

Are the bridgelux strips out of the question with the 54a/b drivers?

I do like the Samsung F-Strips and believe those will just drop in… Would that be my best bet? or is there other strips that would work with these drivers?

4 Likes

No. not at all…
(I’m assuming that the 54 is referring to the DC voltage).

The constant current range for those drivers are 27~54V and the 4’ strips are about 39VDC.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I run that 54v driver with parallel sets of: 3 x 2ft gen2 blux strips in series, to get ~57v forward voltage (maybe 58.5 fv, I forget). The meanwell report on the hlg-185h-54a says the voltage range will go up to 59.4v. Used 12 total strips.

4 Likes

I’m planning on hopefully tearing down the stealth cab and building out a more purpose built dual chamber cab. In the process I’ll be taking my lights apart. Each side will be approximately 2.875 sq. ft. This is slightly smaller than the current chamber by about 1.5 sq ft. I’m currently running 17 590mm strips with an XLG-240-L-AB. I could go with XLG-100s, but considering I’m reducing the overall chamber size and the fact that I currently only use my lights at about 75%, I’m thinking XLG-75s on each side.

So the question is, how many strips for an XLG-75-L-AB? I calculate 5 or 6, but not sure which to go for.

3 Likes

Im back and lookin for guidance so i dont melt my brain learning electrics again. Im looking at these bridgelux strips.
https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/bridgelux/BXEB-L1190U-30E3000-C-C3/10279844

I want to cover a 4x8ft area so if someone would be super helpful and match me with some drivers and number of strips to run per driver. Two or three seperate ones would probably be pretty good for failsafes if one light dies then ill still have lights is my thinking.

2 Likes

Take a look at this site it has a 4’ x 4’ build using either 2 or 4 foot strips. I built their 2’ x4’ using 2 foot strips. https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/

7 Likes

I keep forgetting about that site.
It really does lay out the basics in a clear fashion with great illustrations.

Cheers
G

1 Like

I cant seem to get the link to work :triumph:

2 Likes