Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

that would work as well but make it 14 strips per driver just cause of the voltage requirements

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ll probably have more questions once im done setting this up.

For now I’ll just focus on purchasing the lights and driver.

3 Likes

Well if going with any of the AB ending drivers, dont forget to get a 100k linear potentiometer and maybe a knob for it, its not needed but allows easy adjustability within the current range you set or stock, vs adjusting the current max with the Io screw

4 Likes

Any reason to use the potentiometer vs just the screw on the driver? I’ve used the screw on my other drivers, just curious.

Also looks like I will be mounting the strips to a 18x26" aluminum pan which should work out nicely. Ordering the lights today, but probably won’t get it for another 2 weeks.

1 Like

So, say you have a XLG-240-L-AB driver, and up to 17 eb2 3500k 22" strips? Is this practical, and how would you wire them? For a slightly less then 2x4x6 cabinet? Someone smoked too much chocolate skunk, and went on a buying spree…er…they showed up, in a box, on the porch…

10 Likes

Lol,

They will be perfect for a 2x4 ft tent. One frame 22x44 inches gives manoeuvring room, so its not getting jammed on things sticking out from the tent frame. I used suspended ceiling L channel $7 from any Canadian building center its 12 ft long and you will need 2 of them as there is not enough for a center piece with just one. I cut, one half of the L and bent the other half and pop rivet the overlap of the cut sides.

Then I add the strips, and wire them up. Keep all the strips facing in one direction otherwise you mess up the polarity. Then its just wired in series with single strand solid core wire, braided will bend it needs a fair bit of force to get the wire in and locked into place, I found pliers helpful as my fingers have no strength now.

The last strip connects to the cable into the driver, same with the first.

17 Likes

love it lol

4 Likes

Just ordered the strips and drivers for my new build. Got 32 1120mm 3500k strips and 4 xlg 240 L AB drivers for my 4x4 flower tent. Works it to 812 w accounting for driver loss. Got to get the stuff for the frame or frames I should say doing 2 frames 2x4 well slightly smaller but you get the idea with 16 strips each with every other strip going to one driver and the remaining 8 to another that way I can turn off half if need be for babies

5 Likes

Super looking setup there @Shadey! So what was the total cost to build the 16 strip bloom setup?

5 Likes

It was $200 for the driver, strips,dimmer and frame L channel. The rest I had kicking about I would figure another $40 for wire, screws, connectors for the driver and wall plug. Cheap and good.

8 Likes

thats gonna be mad over kill, but hey why you have dimmers

7 Likes

I was just about to say the same thing, It wont be just the babies you will be dimming it for lol.

5 Likes

If I get 1200 Coronadollars you can bet it won’t be panda-film & screw-in LEDs over here on the :evergreen_tree: farm.

:money_mouth_face: :bulb:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Got a 1000W hps over them now so not much different

4 Likes

About 450 to 500 watts is equivalent to a 1000 hps when it comes to these high efficiency leds. 800 watts will be too much light for even peak flower.

4 Likes

The hps isn’t enough that’s why I went bigger with the led

2 Likes

How do you keep a 4x4 tent cool enough with a1000w HPS in it. I tried my 1000w HPS and could not get it below 88f even with the extraction fan on constantly, and a window open for the hot air to get out of the room.

I have my driver’s outside my tent with the LEDs, and it still gets pretty warm in the tent with just 300w worth of LEDs in a 6x4.

4 Likes

I’m running a 6" fan that dumps into the attic and the room the tent is in stays 73 so I’m right at 80 with the lights on. I have to move so much air my carbon filter is basically useless.

3 Likes

If you don’t have to worry about smell that’s no a big deal, I took mine off as the fan was dying, it’s dead now, I have to get another. I just cannabalized a fan from a humidity unit and stuffed it in a vent for the time being. Now we are getting into warm weather, it’s not going to be enough :persevere:

You might want to vent that humid air straight out of the roof space, my buddy did that and when spring warmed up the roof all the frozen moisture from his air caused a flood in his house, he had to replace the entire ceiling.

4 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle @Shadey. Things fell together great, E.T. can finally “Phone Home”. Thank You, O.G. I’ll post a pic, once the potentiometer gets here… DO NOT stare directly at the light lmao… Had to modify things to fit, yet its awesome…

6 Likes