Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Yeah I was just about to say you can add a central strip like I did.

Here is some pics of mine. I used suspended ceiling L channel for my frames probably weighs 1/2 a pound all together. I have my drivers mounted outside the tent to keep it cooler in there.

Frame with strips mounted, make sure all strips face the same direction or it wont work as I found out lol.

All wired up in series.

17 Likes

Ok i am feeling better thanks guys i definitely was overthinking and overwhelmed. I just finalized my order on Digikey and the strips and driver should be here within 4 days. $202 to my door, i also just made a order at a local metal shop for 1"×1" angle aluminum that is 1/8" thick they are even cutting it 3 pieces that are 44" and 2 pieces that are 22" and I’ll have a few feet left over cause i had to buy a 20 foot legnth, $21.39 taxes included, so I’ll just need a roll of wire and some mounting hardware. I almost said screw it and bought what i thought was somewhat equivalent from Amazon until i realized it was only 7" wide. This is by far the best option for full coverage and quality on a budget. When i have everything I’m gonna try to make a step by step DIY for dummies (like me :blush:) … I want to thank everyone again it is greatly appreciated! I’m sure I’ll be back looking for help before this project is completed.

11 Likes

You can grab the wire at home do-it centers, I used thermostat wire it comes with 2 strands of 18AWG in a cover for $18 and is 2 strands 45’ long. 18 AWG fits the connectors just right. You may or may not need a 100k pot if you are running an AB driver, there are literally $1, I bought a pack of 10, hell I could ship you one lol

6 Likes

Dont worry, you wont regret it, it is daunting the first time but after the first one you think fuck that was easier than I thought. My 4th light went together in 45 minutes, my first took 3 hours, blood sweat and a lot of swearing lol.

7 Likes

I ordered the non dimmable almost got dimmable but decided to keep it as simple as possible.

3 Likes

Well my beast is running smooth now, Seems as though one or more of the drivers is still turned down as I am only drawing 558w at the wall but it is ridiculously bright. I will get them hung and get some lux/PAR readings from it very soon.

16 Likes

@TerpSneeze wooo, and yeah you would be slightly under due to nominal draw and the amount of strips you have vs what the drivers can do and how the strips use a little less voltage than rated but the 558 does seem low to where it should be, what I’d suggest is checking to see if that strip with the now dodgy section isn’t an issue, and try out each driver individually to see what your getting, also you can tune them up at that point using your power meter. Also check your dimmers too

5 Likes

By check I assume see if there is additional resistance or draw in that board vs others in the same series via multimeter?

2 Likes

Having a hard time finding 18 g solid core, i found this. Says it’s low voltage though 150 volts it says is this good or should i keep looking?

2 Likes

I ziptied my strips to a grate: you dont need angle.

1 Like

Yep that’s 18gauge perfect so long as it’s single core.

1 Like

OK, Trade Secret…
The reason they tell you to use solid core is people are somewhat challenged getting all of the strands into the receptacle. Bad Things can happen if you don’t…
So, either twist the wires extra nice and make sure you get them ALL in and/or trim loose strands or tin the leads.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

yuup. or tin them. I bought a solid core, 2 strand 10ft wire, stripped the wires and cut them.

3 Likes

The goofy thing is - from a thermal-reliability perspective…stranded is significantly better. There is a much broader cross-sectional contact area (carries more current) but offset with the issue it is easy to screw-up the installation.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Interesting, so really this would work fine as long as I’m careful and and make sure there is no loose strands.

Rated for double the volts and half the price. And 25 feet should be plenty.

3 Likes

From the picture, I am looking at on my PC it shows it to be single core, and 25ft will be more than enough so you will have no loose strands👍

It looks stranded in the pic when i look close and it also says stranded i think that must be what it means.

3 Likes

Yep stranded, fuck my eyes are getting worse :dizzy_face: I have been waiting to go to an opticians since just before covid hit that writing is just a blur :persevere:

2 Likes

All good haha I’m probably due for a check up too. I bought it i will be careful with it.

1 Like

Solid core is both much easier to work with and necessary for this application. You want the thermostat wire for sure, the reusable connectors on the boards won’t be as easily reused, they are not designed for stranded wire.

Edit: In fact I had already mentioned this to you a day or so ago in response to your question :wink:

4 Likes