Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

Go through and do a mock checkout, it will probably show up at the tax/shipping stage, mind you im Canadian so i don’t get that but know a couple who have been charged that 25%.

And yeah as @BudSy said typically people who are running higher wattage’s are also hanging the lights higher, something to be said about light brightness decreasing the further away the light is though but at the same time running brighter but further away you do get a slightly larger happy zone light wise.

But that 30-35w/sqft range is imo more than enough and will get less as time goes on as our efficiency increases, also why im playing in that 20-25w/sqft range just to see, but ive hit a media volume limitation so ??? no conclusions as of yet.

Side note though i was playing today and used some of the strips i removed from my other lights to build this, definitely had the drill bit wander off a few center punch marks, or well just bad marking on my part… just testing it with what i had on hand power options wise getting a whopping 70-73% driver/power efficiency lol…

Been thinking of adding a space 14"x14" to the closet as a third chamber to be used for pollen and or finishing off seeded plants.

14 Likes

Oooooooooh, do we get to see some more cabinet building goodness from @Mr.Sparkle ?
Can’t wait.

2 Likes

Not until i get back from a summer trip to the family cabin, but with what im thinking, gonna be a super basic probably one day build, literally a door with light seals and a standoff for floor intake and a pc fan hooked to controller of some sort extracting out the top through a basic bed filter

9 Likes

I imagine you said the same thing when you were building your first cabinet :smiley:

Enjoy the time away.

5 Likes

Id like to import some fixtures from @mr.sparkle to California!

3 Likes

lol yes and made a revision or two, this though i was contemplating other options but they would all require partially dismantling and rebuilding the current setup or setups where the heat of one chamber would cascade into the one above it which makes it more difficult to maintain temps/RH between chambers, and id be loosing alot of closet space in the process.

They way im thinking about it though just leaves the bottom two chambers alone and i would have a separate third cabinet in a section that wasn’t really being utilized closet wise and a quick build out, but yeah who knows.

and @Icculus easy to make your own :wink:

5 Likes

Home depot has these 20w lights for $17.50. Think they would work for a one plant auto grow? Maybe 4 of them?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Wafer-8-in-White-Selectable-New-Construction-or-Remodel-Recessed-Integrated-LED-Kit-WF8-SQ-B-LED-30K40K50K-90CRI-MW-M6/308157329?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-310129167-_-308157329-_-N&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=afl-ir-10451-483420-&clickid=xMhTgr3Z3xyOUOawUx0Mo3cmUkiWXgzdT12lyE0

4 Likes

Based off the specs it seems it would work but I’m just learning myself so I may be wrong, i would remove the plastic cover for sure.

2 Likes

Spectrum is good, just depends how efficient they are, it would be cheaper to use sils though, on a multi branch fixture like these. Just pop the plastic diffuser off.

13 Likes

@Icculus those are max 1800 lumens from 20-21watts , Screw in LEDS like @Shadey posted are cheaper “4-8x” and more efficient “30+%”, especially once the domes are popped of but again its not that far off from building a decent diy strip setup.

8 Likes

Unless you can get a decent bulk price buying the screw ins, it’s actually cheaper to do the Bridgelux light per watt, but if you’re not looking for much light area coverage screw ins will be a cheaper package, but will be more costly on energy and produce more heat in the tent to get rid of.

I am as cheap and red neck as it gets :wink: the Bridgelux lights are probably the best value for money you can get with a little effort to make them atm :joy:

10 Likes

Does anyone know if this is correct? Blue is neutral brown is live and green yellow is ground? This is just my guess based on the letters.

7 Likes

Yes, though the L stands for Load. Typically that’s black in the US.

5 Likes

Yep, I just wired one up the other day just like that. I hate the colours of the wires every time I have ever used a Meanwell, or anything else like it.

I know, different places, different standards, it’s all good, and it’s not actually hard to wrap my head around it. But after enough years being careful and specific with mains electricity things become very disconcerting when they look wrong.

And it just looks so wrong, messes with my head everytime. :man_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

Good day LED wizards,
Just like to know what’s the most efficient amperage to run single
https://www.digikey.lt/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXEB-L0560Z-57E2000-C-B3/BXEB-L0560Z-57E2000-C-B3-ND/7907657
?

That’s correct it’s coloured to UK/European wiring code.

That’s how I feel with Canada/US colour codes on wiring :joy: after emigrating from the UK. I have to double check every time I wire something up :thinking:

6 Likes

These are tested at 700mA. I would go with that. Max current is listed at 1400mA, so stay under that.

So https://www.digikey.lt/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/LDD-700LW/1866-3122-ND/7704767 would work just fine for single strip?

Yes, but the LDD drivers require an AC/DC converter. They take DC voltage as input.

1 Like

Alright,
https://www.digikey.lt/product-detail/en/mean-well-usa-inc/APC-16E-700/1866-1121-ND/7702572
So one like this could go straight to 220v?

1 Like