Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

You are going in a direction (series) which is inherently more dangerous.
You have other options as well, like parallel and series parallel.
(Lets say you want to drive 10 strips as an example.)

Parallel is typically safer as the DC voltage is much lower. In this case you would need
a high current/low voltage driver. Current demands would be (10x .7A ) or 7 amps and 20VDC so maybe a HLG-150H-20 (10-20V), 7.5A, 150W
options can be few or maybe it is out of stock… so

Series/parallel. Could be 2 in series and then all (5) of those pairs in parallel. So then we need 40VDC and 3.5 A. so maybe a HLG-150H-42 (21-42V), 3.6A

Neither of those two options will make you to do a backwards somersault from the squat position. :+1: :sunglasses:

Cheers
G

8 Likes

So, you’re on the right track. These drivers are “constant current” drivers, max current is 700 mA, twiddling the knob lowers/raises the current.

The number of strips the driver can run is based on the voltage, just ignore the remainder.

5 Likes

current kills, voltage is potential energy. :grin:
But either way, it only takes 150 mA to cause respiratory arrest. I highly suggest grounding your light fixtures. The simplest way to do this is to have the driver case directly touching the metal frame.

7 Likes

Okay thankyou for the reply. this instills a bit more confidence in me, my next question would be with the 150w driver and the .97 remainder is that close enough to fit an 11th strip/how do i tell if it is or isnt?

So if a driver only puts out 700ma max does that mean you can run 5 strips on a 240w driver (for my feeble brain to understand things better)

I feel like i should have clarified im looking at all the xlg lab drivers on digikey just to make it easier.

@Gpaw i think i understand what you are saying but then it clashes with reikos reply so im back to being confused (not with the wiring design though)

Im still at a point of working out how much light i need, i understand each strip produces 2390lm so on the low end looking at the 100w again ill be producing around 23900 give or take a bit and at the mo i cant find the umol rating though im not even sure what numbers i should be aiming at

Also i have seen a few different suggestions for wire gauge but the concensus is solid core which i can get behind (already had a go at pushing a wire in to one of those connectors) so any guidance would be helpful.

2 Likes

My comment referred to the series circuit. With a remainder like 0.97, you may or may not be able to add an extra strip. Or it may work when cold, but not when it gets hotter, or all kinds of other issues. Its best to save that extra strip as a spare IME.

No you cannot run 5 strips on the 240W driver. See how it has a minimum voltage of 178V? 5 strips would be 97.5 V.

5 Likes

Ahhh so if im inside the gap of voltage stated then its safe? ill be wiring in series just cause its easier to make sense of for me. Think i got my head around it. Now to buy myself a set of strips and drivers to play with.

3 Likes

I haven’t forgotten about you buddy. I would be happy to help you source the parts and muddle through it. What are we looking for? A 4x4 tent, mostly flower or a mixed spectrum? Budget? Dimming? Once you build your first, you will never go blurple again.

7 Likes

That made coffee come out my eyes!
Didn’t know that was possible! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Hey @Bob13
I’m in the process of doing the same/similar. Super helpful informative folks here.

Ordered.
1 - 20pack 560mm strips
2 - xlg-150-L-ab drivers

Still doing the math - learning.
Not sure what I’m building yet!

5 Likes

Hey man yeah everyone’s lovely, I’m at a tossup between a 100 and a 150 and 17 strips or 2 150s and 20 strips, still debating how much is actually needed per square ft as iv heard anywhere between 22w and 50w

2 Likes

If I’m catching on…

The XLG-150-L can do from 7 to 10 of the EB Gen3 560mm strips?
Wired in series.

5 Likes

You got it! You earned a gold star! :star:

6 Likes

cool

3 Likes

One thing thats putting me off the gen 3 is they are 590mm instead of 560mm and they are double the price.

Also im jealous of your gold star, im going to find a consolation cookie.

4 Likes

Bridgelux Gen 3?
590? The datasheet shows 560mm length, 24mm width.

Have they changed?

2 Likes

:cookie: here. But only eat half to start! :grin:

8 Likes

@ReikoX ahhh om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom mmmf you say half? :laughing:
Thankyou for all your help

@GramTorino Ah im lookin at the slim gen 3, i didnt seem to find a non slim version

5 Likes

No no, eat half then wait like 5 minutes and go ‘its not working’ then eat 3 more and freak out for 10 hours. Bonus points for peeing yourself!

10 Likes

There is a datasheet on this page…

https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/semiconductors--lighting-solutions--light-engine-led-assemblies--light-engines/bxeb-l0560z-35e2000-c-c3-bridgelux-9115969

Primer…
https://ledgardener.com/tag/constant-current/

Weird they dont come up on digikey, those prices look much more reasonable.