Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

BXEB-L1120Z-35E-4000-C-B3

Zero in stock!! 10 week lead time :frowning:

and wow, thats some clean cable management

3 Likes

I had no idea that prices have gone that nuts in the states… That’s straight up highway robbery!
I’m experienced with far east pricing (aluminum extrusions, heatsinks and sheet metal) - so I had ‘sticker shock’ with the local pricing :exploding_head: LOL.

G

3 Likes

shipping has gone nuts in the states

2 Likes

That was my price for local pickup. @Gpaw It’s literally 4x the price I paid per inch of the same aluminum angle four years ago. It’s unreal. Who is making that extra money?

I keep a spreadsheet of literally everything we buy for our household, and all purchases have gone up in price by at least 25% except for gasoline, and I don’t drive much. We cook almost everything from scratch and raw food ingredients have seen a 57% increase in the last 4 years, while wages have either not increased or decreased due to unemployment.

5 Likes

Thanks @Danonly, I had some paracord left over from a computer build a couple years ago and I haven’t done any lacing in… 49 years? Sort of a mix of new and old school.

Did you get that lead time from Digikey? They always go with the default factory lead time but (almost) always come in much quicker. I suggest you check once a week.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

yeah that was digikeys stock (zero) and lead time notification

Wow great job and the build looks fantastic!

1 Like

@Gpaw and @Mr.Sparkle I have some questions, being the first time I have used led lights to grow. My space is 2’x4’ and running the Bridgelux gen. 2 3500k strips. I measured the lux at 16” and I get 31k, which is good. When the autos I am running start flowering, will I need to move the lights closer to the plants in order to get a lux greater than 40k? Will I need to add more led strips, thus a different driver?

2 Likes

well the plants will grow upward thus increasing the brightness of the lights as the closer to the light assuming the light stays stationary, but otherwise depending on you day length “18/6, 20/4, 24/0” you may already be in that happy range for the plants and nothing will need to be done.

Guess just watch and observe and make adjustments as you see fit.

2 Likes

They are on a 24/0 schedule. Yes on the watch and adjust as necessary. :v:

2 Likes

Math wise and thinking in regards to DLI compared to recommended optimal levels and assuming conversion rates hold somewhat true, you would be only needing around a 25k Lux value at the canopy for say a DLI of 30 which is that 700-750μmol/s/m2 range of light if you were 12/12 instead. Double the time half the light = the same, at least straight math wise.

2 Likes

What is DLI?

3 Likes

Daily light integral , which is a rabbit hole in itself.

5 Likes

It sure is!
Thanks for leading me to it :laughing: :joy:

cheers
G

4 Likes

Do any of you digikey gurus know if they sell plug and play Led flourescent tube replacements? I’m trying to get the boss to upgrade the shop lights lol. We have 8 and 4 ft fixtures

6 Likes

Good idea, you might get some spares if he orders lots lol.

1 Like

Define plug and play… I believe the way they are designed to be use is drop in replacements, but that does include the replacing the ballast.

1 Like

Yea i thought of that after lol. You bypass the flourescent ballast, and they clip into the fixture… so i guess not plug and play… but retrofit?

3 Likes

Good question, I hadn’t looked for those…

Ok, I’m not seeing any that would be like the grow light drop-ins like AgroLED makes.

They have a number of the plug-in light bars but the pricing and specs look “meh” (as my kid likes to say).

Cheers
G

2 Likes

This time im not looking for grow lights haha litterally shop lights lol

2 Likes