Did I kill her?

I’m having a hard time with it being nutes, because the other plants are doing ok… Granted, this one is larger than the rest.

This is another… The lower leaves are from when it was a seedling in another area, not in this system.

Also, if it isn’t related - which I’m open to - it’s a crazy coincidence that it happened right when I repotted the… Right?

I flushed the bag out really well today and took off the dead and dying leaves. If this doesn’t help, I’m going to have to try the cloner, and drop a few more seeds.

With the stunted plants from my last light,band now this, I feel like this grow is never going to fully get off the ground.

1 Like

With being aquaponics, I have to find a comfy balance for the plants and the fish… I’ve found from 6.5-7.3 will keep everyone happy and growing :blush:. Sometimes I wonder about aquaponics, but then I remember that I’ve killed everything I have ever tried to grow in dirt, lol.

2 Likes

The difference between 6.5 and 7.3 is quite large. I’ve always had good results shooting for ~5.8 in hydro.That particular plant likely isn’t as ph tolerant as your others. I’m surprised they’re not all evenutally having some sort of nutrient lockout with your current ph “range.”

2 Likes

In a straight hydro grow, yeah for sure… But life is different in aquaponics :blush:

I’m sure water params aren’t the issue, so that part can be answered as “ok”. I’m more worried that I cracked or broken the tap root, as I’ve read doing so can kill the plant, like a clematis.

2 Likes

When I have a plant that looks like this I rip off a lot of that bottom growth and just keep the top 1/2 to encourage new healthy growth up top. If that doesn’t help, i just cull it and pop another seed. Its relatively small and easy to get back to that size in a month or so.

If it does get better, I clone and check how good it is in flower. if the smoke is good I grow out the clones with better structure and make a mother.

I did that to this lemon Thai x heirloom piff @Rippleseeds , but buried the whole stem. So it was shorter. Now it’s good.

2 Likes

I will take your word for it, I am clueless when it come to aquaponics.
With that said you know your set up.
A root issue could cause this, but I would think it would take more than crackin the tap root.
If you broke it very close to the stem that would cut off most of the root system.

I have broken the tips of them right off and the plant just slowed growth until the root system recovered.
So if you did break the tap root, it should not kill it.
I don’t remember having leaf issues, but I may have.
That very well could be the case here.
Hard to know really.

Your plant has this weird upward leaf curl thing going on on the upper left side.
Could that be to much light?
The other leaves edges are lifted upwards too.
Hard to diagnose things from a pic…LOL

1 Like

aquaponic systems operate within a pH range of 6.8 to 7.2, which is slightly acidic to neutral. This range is optimal for most plants and fish species that reside in the system. However, sometimes a specific plant or fish may have different pH preferences, which requires pH level adjustments to maintain suitable conditions…
copied from Why is pH Important in Aquaponics? - Go Green Aquaponics
if you want to keep your ph that high grow something that likes the ph that high.

4 Likes

I must be stoned fumaoo|nullxnull for not realizing it before, if you are in hydroponics your pH should go from 5.8 to 6.4 or your plants will never feed themselves enough… icon_e_confused|nullxnull

Hydroponic pH chart

5 Likes

I’ve taken about the bottom half off now, and flushed it with straight clean water… :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:. I was wondering about burying it down lower… I wasn’t sure if it would be better to do that or be able to see the stalk…

Are you adding supplemental nutrition?

2 Likes

I did notice a curl in the other pic I posted after I got a better look at it… My light is at 25%, so I can’t turn it down any more, but I could lift it up higher… That leaf curl suggests I should.

This plant did start life under a light that was too powerful, the other 2 that started with it are completely dwarfed, and only a few inches tall.

I’m worried I snapped the tap root higher up… Ugh…

Well, it has a few days to perk up or its coming down it guess.

If the stem stays too wet it may rot, it may grow some roots too, if hormone levels are high but I would not expect roots from an ill plant.
I suggest not going deeper.

Yea, that could be bad, but she should recover if the seed is valuable to you it is worth keeping.
It may grow slow for quite a while until the root system recovers.

1 Like

Hmm, did I say I keep it that high? Or that it stays in that range and as far as up to 7.5? But that I typically keep it around 6.8-7.2?

Sorry, I thought it was clear with this post

Aquaponics, not hydroponics :wink::blush:

So far, just some bone meal… I did add some seaweed fert to my last grow and ended up killing my crop, lol 🤦

1 Like

The ph of “hydro” “aqua” WATER needs to be in the 5.6-6.2 range. Your just going to chase you tail thinking aquaponics is different than “waterponics/hydroponics” it’s the same thing. You can either buy fish that require lower ph or grow plants that require a higher ph. Or you can take the plants out of the fish tank and put them in some media with the correct ph.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how “life is different” feeding the plant fish shit hydroponically. What makes the plant’s ph requirements change by calling it aquaponics?

2 Likes

Maybe we should add an Aquaponics category … frech|nullxnull

2 Likes

When you say aquaponics do you just mean soilless?

I grow in a soiless hempy style and I could grow in those pellets and I never go over 6.0 pH, I roll exactly at 6.0.

I’d also say for what you’re doing pH is an issue in some regard. Perhaps not all the issue, but enough to complicate it further.

3 Likes

There are many differences. I can tell you I have had a number of great grows in aquaponics, it is 100% doable, with the goldfish I have.

So, let’s remove water params from the issue… Other plants are living happily in the system, so to blame it on pH makes little sense.