Did I kill her?

I uppotted a girl a few days ago and she hasn’t looked happy since. Now, the lower leaves are all dying while the top is growing… The lower you go, the more dead the leaf, and the higher you go the greener. So, I’m thinking I nicked a root and she’s now pulling nutrients from the bottom leaves, although I’d love to be wrong.

If I’m not wrong, is it possible to clip the top off and put it in my rooter? Or is it too lste once the leaves start going?

12 Likes

If the top is actually growing I would let her go as she is. Even if you cut a root during repotting she does have some roots. If you take the top as a cutting you would have to start from scratch with no roots.

3 Likes

Is that pot full of expanded clay pellets only? Looks like she could use some water…

If the tops growing I’d let her keep on keeping on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im sorry, I would not waste my time on it.
If your new to growing may I suggest
Throwing those pellets in the bin?

I seen excellent grows in them, but the gardeners
We experienced.

I been growing a long time, always wanted to try
Hempy, and as a newb to it, It was a disaster for me.

My style of growing is not wasting time on sick
Or under performers, I just yank them and move
On.

Im not ragging you, not trying to.be a dick
But as to the question of this thread

If you didn’t kill it its damn close.

If you have the time, if your in legal land
If you like a Huge challenge, go for it.

Me? I chunk them dead dying stumps and start over
In Foxfarm happy frog.
If ya need seeds just holler
Again im not being a dick, they just looks horrible
Im sorry, perhaps with enough time and care
But they look ruff bro.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s a transplant issue looking at the other plant behind the one in focus. I cut 25-50% of my root ball off sometimes, nicking a root doesn’t cause that

8 Likes

You have another issue, IMHO, as I’ve removed 2/3’rds of my plants root mass, and the plants do not do that.
Weeds are not really that fragile, but need their consumables in proper amounts.
Does not matter, organics or salt fertilizers, water, air, medium, again, IMHO medium as in water, perlite, coco coir or husks, soil, peat, lecca/hydroton the clay balls, it really does not matter, but each has a characteristic to abide by.

4 Likes

No one’s asked your pH or feed strength? Weird. I’d start there. Maybe a couple feeds away from being gorgeous. Maybe locked out and headed to death, but hard to know without knowing what you’ve been giving them prior to now

10 Likes

The dichotomy of man, right here

10 Likes

It’s a photoperiod plant, right?

Looks like a recoverable situation to me, just a matter of figuring out what’s going on.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is root damage.

My guess is that you are over-feeding, and maybe a ph issue and too intense light as well, but we need more info.

What are you feeding her? What ppm? What ph? What type of light? How close?

3 Likes

I think it’s a root problem just going upwards so don’t see nothing much to do to save her. Perhaps you can trim all those bad looking leaves so it can concentrate all the energy on the top and see if it reacts. Cuttings must be taken from a healthy plant, not a good idea in your case. Best luck … beer3|nullxnull

5 Likes

Sure. Welcome to og. What are your suggestions for this fellow, then? Sounds like you’ve got all the answers

4 Likes

This was her before the reporting, she was looking good…

It is, she is on a constant feed via a 1/4" line… I don’t think she should be thirsty…

Thank you, I’m not new to growing tho…

I’m considering that, but I’m out of these particular seeds (long story) and wanted to get at least 1 plant out of them. Im also trying to time everything out in the tent, ugh.

The one in the background has an unrelated issue… It was started under a light that was way too strong and dwarfed 2 of my plants 🤦. The new light is much nicer :blush:

I think that’s probably because I’m growing aquaponically… My feed strength is constant, as long as I feed my fish :grin:.

It is, yeah… I’m worried I pinched it broken the tap root.

What am I feeding: fish poop, I grow aquaponically
pH: stabilized, and very rarely moves in aquaponics once stabilized without external inputs, which happily there haven’t been any :grin:
Type of light, LED, just picked it up, the details are in my grow journal…
The light is approximately 20" away on 25% brightness

Well crap, lol

I would agree, if any other plants were showing any symptoms. I grow aquaponically, and all plants are on the same, constant flow of healthy, nute filled water. Even my two stunted plants from a light that was too strong are showing healthier than this lil girl right now. So, nutes can be removed from the equation.

2 Likes

Out of the box solution - have any mom plants you could graft the top onto?

3 Likes

Not to be mean bud, that’s not good

4 Likes

If your fishes are healthy that means water pH is between 7 and 8, too high for your plants, do you amend it? beer3|nullxnull

4 Likes

With plants in the system, as much biomaterials as there are in there and all the air I’m pumping in, the pH never really goes above 7.2, it usually hovers around 6.7-6.9.

2 Likes

No, I know, she was under the same light that dwarfed 2 other plants, she’s coming out of it drastically better than the other 2 :grin::grin: lol. Point of the pic though is to show that she was looking healthy (at least a LOT better, she wasn’t dying) only a few days ago… 🤷:crossed_fingers:

I don’t have a mom area setup yet, I’m getting there though😁

1 Like

I wonder if it could be the PH is just a tad high.
From looking at this chart a few things may not be available.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/pH-chart-for-hydroponics-system_fig2_346953811

Maybe P is unavailable, according to the chart it is anyhow???

4 Likes