Do octo/auto/sip systems work with salts?

Sick of hand watering, have no clue where to start with drip irrigation much less dial it in given I usually grow multiple strains from seed so I get plants drinking at all different rates. I know there’s growdots, but they’re pretty expensive and sort of lock in your veg time. I could do organics, but I grow in my bedroom and I’m not trying to have fungus gnats and shit where I sleep

6 Likes

I do individual DWC buckets with air stone in each. I use Jacks for fertilizer which is really cheap but an initial investment. No bugs, no watering but monitoring PH and EC becomes more important.

6 Likes

Lots of people use octopots/pups with Jacks 321 which is salt based.

6 Likes

They should be able to work, but for any situation where you’re using salts and not generating runoff/draining to waste or constantly circulating I would be careful that you don’t end up with salt buildup in your medium.

It might not even be an issue over the course of one grow unless you feed heavily, but if you re-use your media washing it and checking the runoff EC will be even more important.

This cost about $12 to put together at Walmart. I used the oil drain pan. This one is 25qts. I believe, the first one i made used the smaller 16qt pan.

9 Likes

That’s mostly the issue I worry about, as is I water to ~20% runoff give or take a few points, thing with dwc buckets is I don’t a noisy ass pump in my bedroom on top of my already noisy ass fan(that’s getting replaced with an ac infinity eventually)

1 Like

Peat and perlite are cheap enough that I’m not super concerned about reusing it, I don’t really have the space for storing and washing it, especially with one bathroom between 3 people

1 Like

@vernal has a lot to say about the virtues of pickle bucket perlite hempy with straight DynaGro or Maxi

Doesn’t get much cheaper and quieter than that

https://overgrow.com/search?context=topic&context_id=112444&q=User%3Avernal%20hempy&skip_context=true

4 Likes

I love my 6 gal Octopots and Jacks

3 Likes