Dry & Curing Science

2 Likes

Cool… that’s a relief!

2 Likes

Seems about time, that dude is way too aggro and does not listen or comprehend or something

3 Likes

Awwww. And I thought he had so much to offer. :rofl:

4 Likes

At least 37 different ways of saying “that’s a boron deficiency” if nothing else. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I have been sifting through the documents in this fantastic post by @the_bot

In particular is this paper:

Some excerpts:

• Dry floral clusters are usually trimmed of outer
    leaves just prior to smoking. This is called manicuring.
  • The leaves act as a wrapper to protect the delicate floral clusters. If manicured
    before drying, a significant increase in the rate of THC breakdown occurs.
  • Floral clusters with the shade leaves
    intact are well protected from abrasion and accidental removal of resins, but
    manicured floral clusters are best tightly packed so they do not rub together.

Now, this Paper is 18 years old, so it may be outdated. However, Clarke seems to suggest that you leave the sugar leaves on the buds and trim them just prior to consumption.

The theory being that the sugar leaves create a protective shield around the bud, minimizing loss of trichomes and resin.

For casual home use this sounds like it might be worthwhile. No big deal to trim as I go for personal consumption if it yields better results. Has anyone seen a quantitative study on trichome/THC loss due to handling trimmed bud?

11 Likes

I watched some curing science with dr bugbee he says it’s cured when you can toss it in a sack and forget about it. Half life of chlorophyll is 2 days. .6 Active water content to ensure no pathogens grow. It goes from .99999 to .8 in 24 hours I think I remember him saying.

2 Likes

lol im watching that too right this moment (i found it a few days ago but just had the time until today to make notes and upload here later).

But heres the thing… he says dry fast the first 24hr… but what does that mean you know? like really low humidity and then bring humidity back up? I was just trying to investigate this (because he also says to just look at curing of tobacco and other herbs for clues).

2 Likes

I suspect he’s talking about being “dried out” vs way too dry.

3 Likes

Usually people say to run your dehumidifier on constant for the first 24 hours to speed up the dry without adding too much heat, it seems like 70 degrees and 20-30% humidity is the goal

1 Like

likely to avoid things like fungus, mold and such. Bring it down to a low enough RH you aren’t worried about those and then slow the dry till it reaches the point you want.

thanks! yup its for that, i just was under the wrong impression that the room was never -not even at the beginning - supposed to be under 40%. but I understand now why my thought process was wrong.

1 Like

this is by far the most technical explanation i have found about the drying and curing process. It is a video by INSPIRE (a company that manufactures cannabis marketed HVAC systems). I will take summary/notes and add them here as well later.

Drying and Curing Cannabis to Preserve Terpenes and Other Secondary Metabolites

15 Likes

I was looking for small portable AC’s to tent dry

And this looks like it’d be perfect for people who live in a drier climate as it likes adds humidity to the air while it cools.

idk just thought it was cool

3 Likes

I have a giant one of those on my roof to cool my house. :grin:

4 Likes

That’s crazy

1 Like

Like you said, dry climate. It’s 8% RH about now. Keeps the house down to 75-80°F when it’s 100°F+ out.

1 Like

So you think the little guy would be a valid option for folks in dry climates wanting to dry in a tent?

it’s not dry by me, and I would be concerned it’d raise RH too much

Probably would still need a humidifier tho
But at least it’s an AC that doesn’t dry the room out more

It may work on a small scale, but it’s all about the ambient temperature. You’re only ever going to get a 10-15°F temperature drop and once RH goes to around 60% RH, they become less effective.

It would be nice to have on my desk though. :upside_down_face:

I looked into building my own drying cabinet using Peltier coolers and a fan like a wine cooler. I was going to run it all off an Arduino, but it became too much like my day job.

2 Likes

Have you seen those large mini fridges (basically) with a humidistat they charge like 2k$ for?
in the name of “curing”

1 Like