Dry soil micro biome

What’s everyone’s thoughts on keeping a drier soil.

Most soil experts strongly believe it’s important to keep it moist for the bacteria, microbes etc .

But what if your plants clearly prefer a drier soil…

4 Likes

I read something about that, and I guess from what I got from it it would also depend on what type or aeration. They described pumice and lava rock as a place for microbes to retreat and live in. Then Come back out as need depending on the environment. Something about the pumice and lava rock holding moisture a bit long that the loamy substrate.

4 Likes

Yeah they can attach onto the roots as well.

But still ya know. Maybe just water with less more frequently. And hitting them with some tea once a week would do the trick?

Or maybe the biome isnt as affected as they make it to seem?

Wish I just went to school for soil biology because I love this stuff lol…

2 Likes

I am not a soil guy so not much help here bud. I do think that one should do as their plants tell them though so if they prefer it drier and seem to thrive like that than I would do it.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m with ya there. I am more a trial and error myself. Damn near the whole last grow was just error.

The guy from nector of the gods preaches feed,feed water, tea method. So I’m theory if you give periodic teas you should be replenishing the biome I would think.

3 Likes

Lift method.

I have one plant that just needs a little more water than the others and it’s a real pain in the ass.

3 Likes

It can be pheno dependent too it would seem, I have two Syrian Vs growing, and because of the soil, ive been giving one plant alot less water than the other, and its taller than the properly watered plant. For sure not a keeper pheno though, thing is ugly LOL. Tall, like no internodal spacing between flower sites… its a mess XD

2 Likes

Some bacteria thrive without oxygen and can stay alive in dry compacted soil.
This article is quite informative …

2 Likes

What is a good measure :straight_ruler: of time to determine this before things can go south? :ok_hand::+1::facepunch::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

1 Like

Such a simple question but such a complex array of possibilities.

I guess the question is do you tend to the biome or the plants. Or try to find a happy medium.

Thats what Ill tinker with and hopefully be able to give future people a more concrete answer.

Yeah that seems to be the question. Well worded thank you.

Yeah I think ill lean more towards the dry end. I try to do a lot of research on this stuff and theyre adament about keeping the soil moist. All this science info stuff we have at our fingertips wasnt as available back in the day.

It seems like when I follow my gut things seem to go well. When I start letting all this outside info get in it can be detrimental sometimes.

I’ve learned so much more from outside sources though. Double edged sword sometimes. I pretty much owe everything I know to outside sources at the end of the day.

Great opportunities to learn either way.

1 Like

I like :heart::heart::heart: what you said but! :joy::joy::joy:

locked !

:slightly_frowning_face:

IMG_4605

:flushed:🫣

3 Likes

I’ve used a mycorrhizae product before which was isolated from the Dead Sea and it worked really well in terms keeping the plants happy in a hot environment (~90 F daily temps)

2 Likes