Dwc brown roots

If Ozone and UV kill everything you will lose the beneficial microbes too … :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t use microbes I’m in dwc. The microbes are there to help make every nutrient readily available. But in dwc it’s already ready and available. Microbes are not necessary. Still can help but.

2 Likes

So would you guys say one of these may be an option to fight off root rot?

I have a spare aquarium pump and a timer…might just try to box up the ozone generator with the pump and have it set for 15 mins (minimum amount I can set it for) on and 3 hours off, while leaving the pump going 24/7.

Never had a root rot issue in the 10+ years I’ve been growing, but now 3 times in a row…getting sick of it.

1 Like

I’m running disgustingly hot res temps and aside from an algae issue due to light leakage, I’ve never had root rot.

How much air are you pumping into your res? I think I’m getting away with the hot res because I have a 1:1 ratio on GPM (gallons per minute, not hour) of air and reservoir size.

1 Like

@pufferfishfiend makes a valid point as well. The more oxygen the better.

Hmmm…maybe I’ll just try putting the second pump in the rez first and see if that helps the situation. My pumps are just small aquarium pumps…would love to get my hands on one of those monster 4+ outlet pumps…but $

1 Like

Dude.

I’m eventually planning on running 3 reservoirs of 14 G x 2 + 16 G, so 44 G of total reservoir volume. I recently picked up a 1750GPH air pump I need to install before I do that.

Right now I’m “only” running 2 x 950GPH pumps.

So, more air.

2 Likes

I have to upgrade my pump next grow too. I’ll be running 4, 5 gallons.

1 Like

Rot is usually bacteria, so the UV one would definitely work to clear out the water. Unsure of any UV effects on the nutrients, but should be fine I’d think. I actually have a spare UV sterilizer for aquariums and never thought to use it :thinking:

2 Likes

How to Breed Beneficial Microbes for DWC Root Slime Cure aka Heisenberg Tea

1 Like

What temp is the res at? The UV filter might help slow the spread of the rot to other areas of the grow but i doubt will really help. If anything if you have temp issues it might make it worse by increasing the nutrient temp. How much does a proper nutrient chiller cost your way? If you are going to start spending money you should look that those. If you had your nutrient down at 21C and started with a properly reset/sterile system I would be surprised if you got rot.

I ran rdwc for about 3 years in a very southern state… I used to freeze 2 liter soda bottle filled with water and drop them in the resivour 2-3x a day and they kept my resivour between 62 to 75 degrees…
Never had any issued with the roots ever… just have to remember to change out the bottles every few hours.
Cheap water chillers…

3 Likes