EcoPlus air pump parts?

I’ve got a couple busted EcoAir 2 pumps, and it looks like stupid Hawthorne (:fu:) has discontinued both the pumps and diaphragm parts. Anyone able to point me in the right direction of some spare parts please?

Nevermind, got it working without new diaphragms. Please scroll down to see how I fixed it :blush:

1 Like

Does this help?
https://thshydro.com/hydroponics/air-water-pumps/ecoplus-eco-air-replacement-parts
Or

3 Likes

They only ship to Puerto Rico it looks like. But they do have the ones I need with the part number. That’s a good head start.

I also see a TON of generic aquarium pump diaphragms on ebay. Does anyone happen to know what size the EcoAir 2 uses?

1 Like

Not sure, but just do a quick google search for the parts you need. That is how I found the two sites I posted links to for you.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m back and my pump is working again! These clowns need to calibrate their electromagnets better. I’m gonna upload some pics to try and explain what I did here. It took some trial and error to get the angles of the bends just right, but after I got them right both outlets work PERFECTLY again.

Ok, so the issue is that the magnets on the diaphragm assembly don’t get a strong enough pull from the motor’s electromagnet. It’s supposed to vibrate back and forth, therefore pumping the diaphragm in and out to push air. If the electromagnet on the motor doesn’t pull the diaphragm manget strong enough, the assembly won’t travel back and forth far enough to pump the diaphragm, and no or weak air flow will come out. So what we want to do is move those two magnets closer together so they’re physically closer to the motor’s electromagnet.

Ok, so open that sucker up. This is what it looks like before any modding

Now what we want to do is bend those metal bars that pump the diaphragm. The whole assembly will slide right out, so pull up on it and detach its air hose. Note the way the two small black pieces are oriented. The round rubber disk goes inside, and the black square goes outside of that, circle facing towards the round disk.

Now bend those levers. Note the curves to mine, how they appear to have two bends with the screw holding the diaphragm pushed in. To get this bend, I pushed my thumb against the screw and that became the central point for the new bend. Make sure you bend the tab holding the magnet so that last bend is 90° so it won’t hit the electromagnet when it vibrates. Take close note of my picture, and try to mimick the bends. Getting that magnet tab bent back in will be the hardest part. I used a pair of pliers and carefully twisted it until the angle was good enough that the two magnets interacted well together.

I’ve tried to highlight the part and show the before and after curves in this shot

This may take a few tries to get right, so you may have to reassemble, plug it in, disassemble, bend, repeat. I left my cover off for tests to save time. Please be careful!! This is electricity!

7 Likes

images

6 Likes