Ecowitt WIFI - Monitor Temp humidity

Initially only purchased the gateway, it includes 1 wireless indoor sensor.

After only a few days of testing I was a happy camper. Ordered more sensors.

3 Likes

It’d be interesting to see how these compare against the Sensorpush and Pulse units. I run Sensorpush all over the place (including in my curing buckets) and when I compared against a Pulse unit the variations was not enough to warrant the drastic increase in price for Pulse.

These ones are a little bit cheaper but they are quite a bit bigger than the Sensorpush units. Do they offer an open API to pull my data or are you stuck using their app? Have you tested how quickly alerts are fired?

2 Likes

Stuck these in deep. They worked.
But I kinda ignored them. did not put any time into testing. So cant speak to their value or function.

My bad timing. Lol
For the run above I rushed the 3gal into flower. Should have let it veg another week or 2 for roots to fill the pot.

Whereas the 2gal was several weeks overdue for flower.

5 Likes

The sensors update the gw1000 about every 60 seconds.

No info on api capabilities.

Personally. My background is IT, but resisting the urge to get too techno with growing. Started as a cobol programmer on mainframes. Ugh. Lol

5 Likes

@anon58740919
I was checking out the bridgelux.
They are very popular and seem to produce the dank.

3 Likes

These look cool. Currently running Sonoff TH16 for the same purposes but it doesnt have logging or pressure data which really interests me in this unit. Price is right too!

3 Likes

I’ve used a fair few varieties of light solstrips/clu038s/clu048s/MH/HPS/meizhis/CFLs. “White” LED is where it’s at. It’s dancing the cost to performance line that’s the hard part. This runs confirmed that I’ll never glance at a HPS again lol. I was going the bridgelux route anyway after seeing mr.sparkles thread and results. And because the 1120s are practically made for my tent :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Haha I learned COBOL and RPG back in the day myself, been programming my whole life really… My whole grow is automated and my sensors provide real-time info on my stream and to my dashboards in the house. Makes things a lot easier. :slight_smile:

I wonder how often they send that data to the cloud though. Shame there’s no API, that really limits their usefulness to me.

2 Likes

Their cloud web site might be an option to collect the data.

Flashbacks to when I used to do some basic ‘screen scraping’ back in 90s. Post Novell Netware when Windows NT was hot. :laughing:

2 Likes

May do another overview thread…

When I use my AC - forget view only.
I need (want) full control anytime anywhere. Just as if I were using the remote.

Sensibo to the rescue!

• Never my intention to push any particular product - these are items I use and find valuable to my grow. There are almost certainly other comparable products, check them out to see what meets your needs.
3 Likes

Example mobile web interface view. Past 7 days.

3 Likes

Past 24hrs.

Makes is easy to spot spikes in RH and/or temp. Above shows my RH is all whack.

3 Likes

Unless you can keep your grow room free from the affects of ambient temperature and humidity, you are going to see those swings from the temp and humidity controllers, as they switch the extraction fan on and off.

I find the room humidity is more stable after lights out and the temps level off.

4 Likes

We love our system as well. Once the monitor hits 10% moisture in my tent plants, I know it’s time to water. We have been using ours on top so far, and it has worked great. Now I’ve transplanted to 1 gallon pots, so we will see.

It also makes it a breeze to monitor our drying room temp/ humidity.

Once we can run an network line to our grow area we will be utilizing smart plugs as well to turn dehumidifiers, etc on or off with the tough of a a
button.

Nice thread for sure.

3 Likes

Here I taped a sensor to the dehuey exhaust.

3 Likes

I learned recently that you have to keep living soil a bit more more moist 🤦

I believe while we experiment and observe a regimen can be created. There is also some good information out there pertaining to irrigation timing and effect on yield. Trends could probably also be analyzed to predict watering times as well. I really enjoy this system.
Capture _2020-10-26-09-28-06

2 Likes

Solventless BNV has been testing his soil moisture and designed a feeding schedule around it to maintain the optimal soil dampness during the whole day.

I wish I could find a soil moisture sensor that would let me trigger automations. I’d love to have my system water when dry, instead of on a fixed schedule like I have it running today.

4 Likes

Well crap, I just found out that the Ecowitt gateway can be configured to send data to any server (including my own). I should be able to code this up in my existing system and start pulling data from these sensors as well.

Now off to buy some moisture sensors and a gateway… :smiley:

2 Likes

Guess I’m going to have to join ig to check some things out. Thanks for the link. I appreciate the info. It could make it it easier on me with established regimens already developed. I could tweak from there.

1 Like

Joining the club…

Looking at the data collection it seems this will be pretty easy to setup. Going to try checking the moisture from one plant in flower and one plant in veg as a first test. As long as I can get the data into my grow service I will be able to trigger automations, including kicking off a watering.

2 Likes