Exploring a rootball

Today I cleaned up from a recent grow, removing the soil from a 5 gallon fabric pot that held my Cheese plant, which was probably 15 - 18 inches over the soil level.

I found several very, very fine roots had gotten all the way down to the bottom (about 11 inches below soil level). They were very well distributed in every direction.

It appears the tap root literally went down about 1 - 2 inches and then bifurcated in two directions – not something I would’ve expected.

Trying to interpret this video. Why would a tap root do that? Is fine rooting building THAT deep a sign that it is looking and not finding – or is it a healthy development?

In this video, I have inverted the 5 gallon pot, dry, and am clearing away the soil, moving “up” toward to stalk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LkTbkziSDrPnywK3IZjNIQzp-lsreqQh/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Sounds and looks like healthy root development to me. The 5 gallon pot was too big a container for the plant’s roots to fill it. Longer veg time makes for fuller rootballs.

2 Likes

One good trick in large pots is to water them in circles far from the stem so roots will go towards the border to search for humidity … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

Looks that way to me, too. This plant was in veg for 7 weeks, and flower for about 10. Looks like I may be better off sticking with 3 gallon pots for most 8-week veg plants. I think I’ll have to be more careful in general, the way small aquariums are more finicky than big ones, but I should be ok. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m with you! I do it to ensure I don’t get dry spots deep down, too. Sides, bottom. . .I try to remain conscious that the roots want to spread their wings. I use circular “berms” to ensure water follows the vertical path I want it to. We’re in agreement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

3 gallon pots are plenty of room for your 8 week veg plants. Their water demands will increase as they flower.