F2 / line breeding question

okay so I have 9 TK x TK x Iraqi ranya regular beans… if I did an open pollination would it be possible to basically work the line towards the Iraqi or would trying to do that be a waste of time basically?

5 Likes

You have 9x TK BX1 beans ala Iraqi Ranya :heart_eyes: and you wanna work it towards the Ranya?

It’ll probably be pretty buried unless the male was Ranya leaning :thinking: That said, back crossing creates segregations in the line. You likely won’t find straight TK either.

My best bet would be to find a pair or more that look/smell like the ranya and f2 them. Probably find it in those f2s.

Can do open pollination but imo that is just gonna jumble up all the genetics. So you will likely need more f2s to find it than if you bred with just the plants that most resembled/smelled like the Ranya. If you only end up with one female or one male that resembles it, then just gotta do what you can, but ideally… Also since only starting with 9 beans… not a bad idea ^^

11 Likes

Yeah I’d like to experience the Iraqi but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that as far as I can see. Tryin to work with what I got.

But thanks for the info, so basically open pollination could make the search in the f2’s a lot more lengthy…

Not sure I have the skills to determine if any males are more Iraqi leaning.

But yeah, not to say I don’t want TK, just really want to play with Iraqi; everything I’ve seen/read about it sounds so good… and the beans were a random freebie from a few years ago so don’t want them to get old and not germinate.

4 Likes

Yeah definitely more lengthy depending on the selection. You might get lucky right off though.

And worst case, even if you do the open pollination as planned, you should at least have a bunch of beans to look through to find what you’re looking for :wink:

5 Likes

I think open pollination vs selection really depends on what the goal is. I tend to agree with @HolyAngel and for your stated purposes selection may be best BUT what if you don’t get the pheno’s you are looking for? Then you are kind of stuck. I think your path really depends on how many seeds you have to start with. I’d probably open pollinate the seeds you have while ALSO taking cuts of each plant. That way you have more seeds and if you find the desired pheno’s you can breed those on the next round to narrow things down without having to sift through the F2 OPs you made. I think this hedges your bets the best and is my plan for the @JAWS FP OG IC1 run I have planned.

5 Likes

From your 30% iraqi point, it mean that you will bred pure recessive anyway. You need a bunch of seeds first, the time to kick the ass of the TK.

Just like HA said, optimizing directly the pairings you’re doing to bend it more in your side. Then being stubborn enough to let come what you’re hunting.

3 Likes

Are you saying take clones of the males too?

Yes. All of them so while you do the open pollination run you can narrow down what exact plants you want to cross.

2 Likes

find the most ranya leaning and cross it to the most TK leaning.
the math then gives you 50% ranya/tk , 25% ranya , 25% TK
from there you can continue further coaxing of the ranya traits though you may not ever isolate it completely.
An open pollination will give you a large seed increase to preserve the line but it will take a long time to go thru all the seeds find the pairings you want. Which are the most TK leaning and the most ranya leaning males and females of both to form an A and B line to see dominance. example being ranya leaning female x tk leaning male for line A and line B is just the opposite.
Do the punnet square and you will see.

6 Likes