First CS Reversal: Flowers opened... so where's my pollen?!?

Just bought these. $8.71 for 400 vials. I don’t think I needed 400 vials, but the price was right lol

7 Likes

I have the same ones…Those are perfect for sending beans back and forth for trades…

Go to the local pharmacy and just ask them
if you can buy some empty pill containers for your spouse for their “bead” collection…that will allow you to store larger volumes properly :slight_smile:

5 Likes

great info on here thanks to all the grinder is geniusand i will beordering them vials asap like now i guess lol thanks folks as always

3 Likes

Just starting to collect pollen from my cup boys and thinking about how I’m going to do things. I think I’m just gonna go right along and copy @Ginger_Rick and everyone else here’s suggestions.

Pollen grinder -> cut with sterilized flour -> into centrifuge tubes and into the freezer

Perfect!

Thanks so much to everyone for contributing knowledge and wisdom

2 Likes

Just doing another batch up soon. Harvested the male flowers from this reversed Death Bubba the other night just letting them dry for a few days, then I’ll grind em up like before.

I’m pretty sure my last attempt worked, I’m seeing some pretty swollen calyxes on the plants that got hit with the Diamond Kush pollen I collected before. Pretty sure there’s seeds in at least a few of them. I’ll update when I get results for certain.

This is the Death Bubba right before i took her man-flowers off.

Let her dry out a little before harvest, looks sad, but those are fiery hot genes in there! :sunglasses::fire::fire::fire::sunglasses:

5 Likes

I usually grab a picture off the wall …give it a good cleaning so there is no oily residue on it…I then shake the pollen onto the glass and let it dry for a couple hours…thats when I mix it with the flour…

I “think”…(I don’t know for a fact) that pollens viability diminished as it drys…obviously depends on the environment…I’ve used my frozen pollen 9 months later and had no issues…

Perhaps someone else has more info on pollen viabilty :slight_smile:

Cheers

3 Likes

From my reading I gather that as long as its kept properly dry, sealed, and cold it can remain viable for years. Dry is key though, everyone I’ve ever seen talking about long term storage uses dessicants in a larger container, into which they place their smaller vials. Usually this is frozen and individual vials are removed as needed, and allowed to rise to room temperature before being opened and used.

1 Like

I wonder if vac sealing them in packs of 5 or something would extend the viability?

1 Like

Bingo! I think where most people go wrong though is storing it before drying it, and figuring that dessicants in their storage vessel is enough.

Don’t be in a rush to get it in the fridge. Dry it out really well first and then store it.

8 Likes

I can’t see how it wouldn’t improve things, and I’ll likely be placing my vials in sorted ziplocs with a bit of dessicant, then placing all these in a mason jar I vaccuum seal for long term storage.

3 Likes

Good call on grinding up the pollen. Will definitely be giving this a try next go around
Happy growing :seedling:

1 Like