First Time (growing legal that is)!

Looks awsome I’m growing out side and started as well. They are doing awsome. Loved seeing your results

Things moving forward, 15 days in from planting. Spent the afternoon mixing loads of living soil. Transplanted 1 row (3 ea.) of these into 1 gal air-pots as they were reaching the lights.

21 Likes

I didn’t know that they would flower in synchrony :crazy_face:

First timer …

1 Like

I get caught up in the ‘doin’ and overlook the postin’! Rack was getting a bit crowded so have transplanted the Apricots & Karel Haze into 1 gallon airpots and moved about half out to their new temporary home. Tropics are great but man do we got bugs! Usually move stuff into 5-10 gallon grow bags and make cages covered with a baby-stroller mossie net…just discovered I can buy a king-sized self standing mossie net for about $10. Grasshoppers & caterpillars are gonna be hating life not being able to get at these little ones!

I’ve got floodlights that flip on a timer for an hour about 1 am and hope to be able to keep these in veg for a while, take some clones and then flower them hopefully before monsoon hits. It could be close!

21 Likes

Looks like you’ve got things dialed in @Tlander . May they grow free and easy for you! :grin::peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Quick update on the girls…about their 6th day in full sun (for the earliest ones, shortie’s just 2-3 days) and everybody’s starting to reach for the sky. Karel Hazes much more so than the Apricots. Moby Dicks and Ghost Dogs should be ready to move out and join the others in a couple days.

16 Likes

Thanks @LedZeppelin I had a bunch of those black airpots laying around from another project and figured I might as well use 'em. The temperatures over here get pretty hot so I prefer the white ones which I believe help keep the roots a bit cooler throughout the day. These girls will get transplanted into those much larger 5, 7, 10-gallon gro-bags in the background for the rest of their lives, but the small airpots let me keep everybody inside that larger mossie net for now.

This is all kind of a test to see if it’s possible to grow a quick crop out of season. A bit of a race between the plants and the weather. Monsoon can hit anytime between Oct/Dec and we never know just how ‘hard’ it’s gonna hit! I’m looking into the possibility of tearing down one of the old greenhouses and replacing it with a brand new one so I could just move everything under cover a short distance away, if needed.

I’m like a kid in a candy shop! This is like a ‘first time’ grow with being able to put them in full sun like this. I’ve upped my game on the soil mixes, and pulled out all the stops (well, considering I’m in the middle of nowhere!). Yesterday I scored a connection to a guy who raises crickets on a massive level for the Asian edible food markets who has (should read: “HAD”!) an excess of frass on his hands! Similarly, found fairly cheap access to shrimp shells, crab shells and composted tree leaves of 2 species of trees that Thai’s swear by for gardening. Combining this all w/my usual LS mix means it’s going to be difficult to separate out “what’s making the difference” but what the hell, it IS an experiment!

I’ve never grown either of these strains before so hard to compare changes from ‘normal’. Very much would like to hear from others who are more familiar with them! The KH seem to be shooting up a few inches per day right now and the internode spacing seems excessive…I hear they can get really big given the room? Might have to transplant some of them into the 10/12/15 gallon gro-bags early on to see if/how much difference it makes.

Had the shock of my life yesterday…went out at dawn to check on them and kneeling down to examine a fimmed plant I was suddenly hit by a wave of the most amazing bud-scent I’d ever experienced on a 3-week old plant! Took a minute of disbelief before I discovered I had a small bag of ‘Runtz’ in my shorts pocket that was getting squeezed by kneeling! :rofl:

So again, anybody that’s familiar w/ KH or Apricot please drop me some hints! Thanks gang!

8 Likes

I love em when they’re like this. Peace :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

NOW you tell us! Ooooops! Well, it sure was fun being legal…for a while!
From today’s headline article…

:wink:

2 Likes

Well, had a good moving day today. Girls are spending their first night in new digs. Very Thai in their mossie nets! :rofl: Put a few in 30 gallon grow pots, a few more in 15 gallon and a couple in 10’s. Going to try to finish up the rest of the repotting tomorrow and likely make a few clones from a couple of the taller ones.

Meanwhile, The Moby Dick and the Ghost Dog are both bulking up! Anxious to see how these two take to HST. And the Chocolope and Durban Poison have arrived, are soaked and planted. That’s gonna be it for the report tonight, gotta be up before dawn to start on more mixing before it’s too hot out!

12 Likes

Okay, everything cooperated and by 2 pm I’m done…in that ‘patch’ at least! Karel Hazes are just shooting up and branches are starting to form on the first ones that got moved out. A couple of the Apricots are looking pretty nice too! Moby Dick & Ghost Dog are in the 1 g. air pots and I’m loving the way they’re looking…stout little mothers! Here’s a few shots;

14 Likes

Love the setup.
Those mossie nets and a ton of air pots.
Plants are looking very comfortable…! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thanks @Maddawg The nets are a bit of a pain in the ass to have to deal with, but so are the grasshoppers, butterflies and caterpillars! Took off a couple clones each of Apricot & Karel Haze to root up. New seed batch (Durban Poison and Chocolope) aren’t exactly impressing me yet…seeds seem quite ‘weak’. Seems like a lot of the online & dispensary seeds are the same…all ‘bred’ for a “name” with no regard to plant vigor! I mean if the seed has lost the ability to push up through the soil and shed it’s seed coat on it’s own, why the hell would you keep propagating it? At the opposite extreme, I’m really impressed by the Ghost Dog seedlings! Along with the Moby Dick, they’re just bulking up like an Iowa farmboy with dreams of a career in the NFL! Really short internodes and very vigorous branching out. I want to pinch 'em back and do HST on them but they look so good I think I’m gonna wait a few more nodes and just try to root up a cutting or three. Everybody’s tucked away under their nets, so pics will have to wait for another day! Thanks for stopping by!

6 Likes

G’morning over there, g’night from over here! Snapped a few, GD & MD still chunking up. Really nice structure for 2-week olds. I think I’m gonna really enjoy watching these grow up.

8 Likes

A little ‘down time’ with the truck in the shop meant a little spare time for me to catch up on some teas & pruning. Didn’t snap pics of the Karel Haze & Apricots as they weren’t very photogenic after our plant S&M session. But the Ghost Dogs & the Moby Dicks are still the things making me smile round here the most. Sturdy, stocky, slung low-to-the-ground with nice vigorous branching just calls out for HST! I decided it was time that they needed a little haircut to get some light down inside to help pump out more lateral growth.

Here’s a couple shots post-haircuts;

Probably going to leave these in the 1 gallon airpots for another week while I prep a new area of the nursery where they can get transplanted into 5, 10, 15, 20 & 30 gallon gro-bags with at least a bit of monsoon protection overhead…just in case! Seems a bit silly to use the 30 g., but I want my LS mix ready to use in the next long season anyway so I figure why not give a homeless plant a home!

9 Likes

Couple quickies on the subject of “Kinky fun w/ Plant-bondage”!

Ghost Dogs & Moby Dicks are just pumping right out of the gate! Having a hard time restraining myself from HST’ing them all as I expect they’re going to be subjected to some extreme tropical weather the next few months and anything too tall is likely to really get blown around. I’ve been trying to get down to check on the Apricots & Karel Haze but an early Sunday morn puff and a ton of OG threads mean I’m still not even out of the house at 11:30 am! Hope you’re all having a great weekend!

10 Likes

Plants are looking great!
Nice LST work…

I am wishing you much luck with this grow especially during the tropical monsoon season. I thought I was getting a bunch of moisture in TX but that Inter Tropical Convergence Zone you have going on merging with the Monsoonial circulation is absolute madness ( monsoon trough). Tropical cyclones, what?

I am looking forward to the madness my friend! :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Thanks @Maddawg, I/they need all the luck we can get! Just like Texas, and everywhere else, the seasonal ‘patterns’ don’t seem to mean anything anymore! My first 10 years here you could set a clock by the Westerly monsoon…hit in mid-Oct and ended on Xmas eve just as all the tourist arrived! Thailand narrows down pretty radically in the South-central part of the isthmus, so we get carry over from the Andaman monsoon as well at a separate time of year but it’s more spread out by the time it crosses the mainland. I’m rigging up a PVC protection frame and will have a roll-down cover in place, just in case! All my old greenhouse roofs are trashed, but the greenhouses are too full of plants to even try to recover them without a couple weeks of moving stuff. It CAN get wet here!

10 Likes

Last year I had a visitor from S. Africa who decided to bring along a little authentic Durban Poison for me to taste…the smell and taste was an almost perfect match to the 1970’s Thai stick weed. I have been itching to try some ever since. Too bad… both the Durban Poison & Chocolope from ‘Seed City’ were duds! I wrote to them explaining that these were absolutely the worst seeds I’ve ever received. Weak germination, every single seed that did manage to germinate had to have the seed coat removed with tweezers five days after popping (couldn’t risk waiting any longer). Their reply was basically, “Not our fault, take it up with the breeder”! When I pointed out to them that both strains were produced by their own in-house “Seed City Seed” breeders they relented and offered me a discount coupon for $60. Went ahead and ordered a few things but never even received their customary notification of the order! Live and learn! After reading through the threads here I really doubt that they’d have been the real thing anyway! Buyer Beware! They DID throw in some ‘Bruce Banner’ as a bonus (although I had selected ‘Royal Thai’!) and at least those have germinated normally!

5 Likes

Wild weather fronts blowin through here! Nothing too heavy, but good downpours. Got a bit more done rigging up a monsoon shelter for some of the girls.

Checked in w/Apricots & Karel Haze’s (Apricot #8 is a loner pheno, showing a lot of branching sites early compared to all the rest and a bit narrower leaves.

Gave everybody a top-feed of worm castings & cricket shit! Then threw a tea party!

And decided to pop the #1 Moby Dick & #1 Ghost dog into 20 gallon bags. Pretty early for their size but I want to see side-by-side testing what pot-size does with these.

Those latter got a thorough dusting of Mycors, a research team from the Nat’l Science and Technology Development Agency that I’ve worked with on fungal research has commercialized their work into this product and it sells via a company called SV Group. I like what it’s doing for the roots. Did a couple promo shots for them, gonna drop a hint I can do better with some new, full packages! :joy:

Stopped by the local dispensary and got talked into taking part in testing their brand new toy, apparently “Cookies” puts out this 18"- tall, clear-cylindered bong-like apparatus that you flip upside-down on it’s pivot and it blows you a shotgun! Managed 2 lung-toppers of ‘Gorilla’ before running out the door and jumping in my truck to get home before it hit me - spent the next 4 hours doing the best cleanup our warehouse has had in 20 years! I gotta rank it as THE “Premiere Bong Hit” of the last decade! I seem to remember someone saying they sell the bongs for about 20k Thai baht or $570! :rofl:

Okay, hope you all had a good day! Thanks for dropping by!

10 Likes