Flushing too soon?

Sounds good man, just dont over dry them in the first week, if they dont retain some moisture the curing process stops. you going to hang them in the tent first, like last time?

2 Likes

Thank you both, I am going to slowly dry them in the darkness with 21 C and 50% humidity (maybe 60% is better?) in the big tent, as before. Until they are crunchy in the outside but spongeous inside, I know the importance of not overdrying them for the final cure.

I have discovered a white stain in some buds I stored, first I thought they were the rest of sugar leaves, now I doubt it may be mould. Please check, thanks ā€¦

2 Likes

That looks like mould to me. Do you have a more clear image?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply, Iā€™m afraid youā€™re right. :expressionless:, is there anything I can do? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Throw it in the bin, that shit will make you ill.

4 Likes

Done, thanks for the advice ā€¦ :+1:

3 Likes

Unfortunately the bin is the best place unless you make oil and I know you donā€™t. It must be still to moist put the rest on a paper bag for 6 hourā€™s and dry them out a bit more. Clean the jar as well with alcohol before you put anything back in the spores may be lurking in it.

3 Likes

Now Iā€™m paranoid ans see mold in all the buds :sweat:, having a microscope make you see frightening things! :smile: Fortunately I have a friend that knows how to cook recipes and tea so I will give him the jar. Thanks anyway ā€¦ :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thats a bit of a bastard, your right about the scope showing you stuff you donā€™t really want to see. Have you tried looking in your ear with it. No matter how clean your hands are under the scope it always looks like they have never been cleaned lmao. That grey stuff could be mold hard to say, I have bud thats good, look like that, when they have a bit of purple in them. Got some nice amber trichs on it. Do they feel very moist?

2 Likes

Yeah, once you see mould it is right through the bud.

Most of it is invisible and once it has eaten enough bud it fruits and the stuff you see is the flowers of the mould.

You can water cure it, put it in water, swill, throw away the water.

Repeat until the water shows no change.

Even then, do not smoke that bud. Use it to make oil or hash to be cooked.

3 Likes

Cannot see anything through the hair! :smile: I knew I was getting older when my hairdresser asked me if I wanted him to cut them :disappointed_relieved: (sorry gals). Thanks for pointing the trichomes, I heard you lose your balls if you smoke weed with mold :sweat_smile:, I agree with @Microdoser and wonā€™t take any risks, still have another jar of Amnesia and a yield drying upstairs.

You taught me how to grow, now I know the basics and I am able to vape my own weed, that is something I owe to you and @LabRat in the coitus CC. Still much to learn, here is a good place to continue with it ā€¦

2 Likes

Well, just an update to say I finally had a decent harvest and it tastes good and smooth, no harsh at all, perhaps flushing soon the excess of nutes and later on feeding just the necessary is a good middle point between flushing or not.

Thanks to everyone who helped me, I promise I will bring more problems in the future :smile:, cheers ā€¦ :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Glad you got a good bit of weed to smoke George, have you started cracking another bean yet?

3 Likes

I keep telling you. Flushing is a myth :rofl: congrats on the harvest mate :+1:

4 Likes

More than the double that you predicted :sweat_smile:, I could stop growing for a while but reading this forum without having something growing at home would be like seeking the storefront of a pastry shop the day it is closed.

Iā€™m taking care of two Early skunks (the one devoured by the mold in the past :disappointed_relieved:) and one Frisian duck and a half (probable coitus). This time in soil as it is still a subject to pass. As you said, your own experience is crucial for the learning path so I am ready to make more mistakes :confounded:. I promise with my 25th successful grow I will start a Grow journal :grin:, in the meantime, I will just enjoy with the good company ā€¦ :sunglasses:

5 Likes

We live with them, donā€™t we? :grin: I read somewhere there are people that flush before starting the flowering stage, I am going to try that too. Maybe we are just discussing about the sex of the angels, people can just try their own options, make conclusions and share them, that would be more productive than asking ā€œWho do you love more, mummy or daddy?ā€ Thanks for your support given, still many things to learn ā€¦ :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Whilst I am with @Esrgood4u with my view on flushing at the end of flower (myth), I can see a reason to do it between veg and flower. You will have a load of veg ratio nutrients in your substrate and you want to clear that out and put the stuff you want in there. It will freshen the substrate and allow you to quickly adjust PH if you want. This would be a ā€˜lots of PH adjusted diluted nutrient solutionā€™ type of flush to clear salt buildup, remove unused/excess nutrients, and reset the PH.

2 Likes

Flushing is not a myth anybody who has smoked non flushed vs flushed buds would quickly agree. There is some rather simple plant science behind it and Iā€™m surprised to see so many people disagree about it. Plants have a certain amount of nutrients stored in them before they are used in the growth process. To much of these nutrients mainly magnesium will cause the herb to smoke hot and even spark in the bowl. By flushing you are forcing the plant to use its reserves and clear its self of excess nutrients. Letā€™s try and use numbers to explain this. Say the bud has a nutrient value of 50 and the leaves have the same number . Now lets say you need it below 30 to not smoke hot. If there are no nutrients in the soil the plant will pull them from the leaves. This is a normal part of plants defense to dryer weather and lack of nutrient availability threw the soil due to lack of moisture. So if bud has nutrient value of 50 and so does the leaf once the plant starts pulling from the leaf those numbers drop in the leaf to support the plant growth. Once the leaves are depleted they start to yellow from lack of nutrients and the number in the bud starts to diminish as there are no reserves left thus dropping the bud value down also. The trick is to time it so that you allow the leaves to be cannibalized by the plants without letting it happen for so long it affects the bud color. The nutrient levels drop considerably before the yellowing occurs and if timed right the plant will have used up excess nutrients providing a better smoke. I think everybody who grows weed would benefit greatly from a entry level organic chemistry and biology class,Or do alot of reading to better understand photosynthesis, and plant life cycles in general.
I will say that growing using organic methods seems to reduce the amount of flushing needed compared to synthetic fertilizers and flushing to early will limit the buds ability to finish properly. There are many variables to consider and I only flush for about three to 5 days vs the longer periods sometimes recommended. Also this is much more of an issue in hydroponics and soil less medium then in soil.There is alot if arguing over this matter because itā€™s not fully explainable but science cant explain alot of things. What I can tell you is that Iā€™ve experimented with flushing vs not flushing and doing so for different links of time and the taste and qaulity of the burn is affected. First step in science is to observe something, the next step is to try and form an idea of how it works and then be able to repeat the results. Growers have observed an increase in quality from flushing at the right time , which is slightly different for each strain btw. It has been repeated and tested by people in the community,now where at the point if understanding why. Most of it has to do with the root zone so I flush realy hard once and then feed plane water. Alot of the qaulity of your herb depends on how its finished and how its dryed. Growing weed is easy
but growing exceptional top shelf herb takes a deeper understanding of plant biology in general and experiance that only comes with time, here is a link to one interesting read on the subject

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/to-flush-or--not-to-flush/

5 Likes

My understanding is itā€™s chlorophyll that causes the irritation. If itā€™s green it has chlorophyll in it and I suppose most buds are green in colour but itā€™s the leaf matter that holds ā€œalmostā€ all the chlorophyll. If you take a little more time and remove as much of the leaf matter as you can when trimming and allow a longer curing time for the remaining chlorophyll to break down I donā€™t see any reason to starve the plants when they are feeding the most and growing in size. Obviously Iā€™m no botanist and Iā€™ve been wrong on more than one occasion here on OG but you grow for 3 months + so why not take the extra time to fully dry, trim and cure also?? :+1:

2 Likes

I agree.

The only study I know of that has compared flushed to unflushed cannabis found no significant difference in the chemical makeup between them.

The harsh taste is due to chlorophyll, which can be removed by restricting nutrients early or curing.

EDIT :

And from your link

The levels of nutrients concentrated in plant tissue are up to 1,000 times more concentrated than those nutrients in the root zone. One-hundred ppm nitrogen solutions produce plants whose leaves can contain upwards of 10,000 ppm of nitrogen. Since we have established that none of those 10,000 ppm are going anywhere but within the plant, we are looking for explanation of how that concentration is being reduced by a flush to the extent it can affect flavor. We havenā€™t found it yet.

But that is all I will say on flushing here, as it is not my thread. This would be a better place to have that discussion.

3 Likes