Freakshow Collective Seed Run [CLOSED]

I read in OG never picking seeds with your fingers, use tap water without the usual 24 hours so the chlorine will remain and disinfect, finally also some drops of peroxide … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Agreed. If the seed shells and membrane have hardened and you try to separate them forcefully, you’re just asking for problems. A good soak and everything slips right off.
That’s a good tip for impatient newbs. “I see a root, but the shell is still on…I’m just gonna * crack * …shit!” …lol

11 Likes

I think that what makes the difference is that we have tons of seeds and never mind if we lose one … frech|nullxnull

5 Likes

@Tappy, it looks as though you got to experience pre-emergence damping off fungi on a seed coat. That is no bueno! Always pre soak seeds in H2O2 to destroy any infection/fungi on the seed coat that may keep the seed from sprouting or contracting damping off fungi… there are many types of fungi that cause damping off.

That is probably Rhizoctonia solani keeping that seed from germinating. Rhizoctonia has similar symptoms to pithium, however, it is the main fungi that prevents seed germination

10 Likes

I’ve actually been looking for h2o2 for my carnivorous plants…but because everyone needs 100 gallons of h2o2 since coronavirus, haven’t been able to find a drop.

Edit: I was one of those shell pullers up until not long ago…I think it was @George who told me to put a drop or 2 of distilled water on it and the shell will release.

2 Likes

I think it was Meesh saying that if you pulverize the shell with distilled water it softens and helps the plant breaking it (don’t tag as I am not sure :grin:). LabRat spoke about the peroxide and finger picking in this thread.

As you see, all my recently acquired knowledge is borrowed from others … frech|nullxnull

EDIT: Finally solved your avatar meaning, thought you liked indicas … search|nullxnull

5 Likes

Apparently their Prairie Fire is kickass.

3 Likes

@Tappy
Just curious on a comment above
H2O2 for carnivorous plants
“ I’ve actually been looking for h2o2 for my carnivorous plants…”
What’s the application Aimed at ?
I am a bit of a carnivorous plant enthusiast myself
Have a few pitcher plants , Venus fly traps and sun dews at home

4 Likes

@livingthedream I’m starting my cp’s from seed. My mix is 1:1 peat to perlite. I’ve read that mould taking over the top layer is a real possibility. Lightly spraying with h202 keeps this from happening and gives the seeds a better chance of survival rather than rotting due to the saturated mix.

6 Likes

Thanks @Tappy much appreciated

1 Like

Had the same problem, 7-11 has little spray bottles that no one’s seemed to figure out but thy cost as much as 2L at Costco.

2 Likes

I’m quite interested to join forces on this one @Tappy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Kayoes, this project was intended to be shared by 10 people that put some money to buy the pricey seeds, no spots available yet. I am confident that Tappy is going to do a fine job and there will be many seeds around. If that’s finally true when receiving mine’s I can send you some … :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Aha, I see. Should have browsed the thread a bit more :slight_smile:

Will follow the progress :smiley:

5 Likes

Seedlings are taking their time, but the light I had them under clearly wasnt adequate. Hooked up the new mars TS1000 last night. The 2 seedling on the furthest left are purple kush autos for another project. We still have 17 seedlings of the freakshow.

Freaky looking seedling…

17 Likes

I’m not the greatest translator, but this is my rough translation:

FREEZING AND POLLINATING

So here I am going to explain how you to do this and especially how to do it “well” so all your effort pays off.
If you do not quickly remove the collected pollen from all plant particles and then immediately dilute it with extra sieved wheat flour (for example), 7 v.d. 10 times wrong. Storing and freezing Cannabis pollen is not a difficult thing, so it is not really that interesting (apart from growers and / or cultivators) because you hardly read anything about it.
The best thing is to collect pollen from a fully flowering plant. You can do it in two ways. You have to be very carefully when you are alone and time becomes a determining factor. Therefore, from collection to freezing should not exceed 10 minutes. First make sure you have everything ready. I am thinking of: A glass plate or large mirror, dry wheat flour, good rubber gloves, a dry paper bag, pointed tweezers, an airtight and well-disinfected glass jar or glass laboratory tube.
Caution: Only start if your plants have not received rain or watering for at least 2 days. Put on your rubber gloves first. Take your spotlessly clean mirror or glass plate and try not to have any wind from either inside through ventilation or outside. Make sure you have an object that you can lightly tap a very gently against a full flowering branch about 10 cm. of the main stem.
I use a steel kitchen knife for that. Now keep your sterile mirror or glass plate under 1 of the branches that you pulled very carefully towards it and down. Almost horizontal is perfect. Then you give very small subtle taps, close to the main trunk, against that branch. If you tap too hard you get too many plant particles, from the opened flowers, between the intended pollen. And you can not use that, because then good purification is never possible in 10 minutes. Okay, now we have to act quickly because time before freezing has to be as short as possible. In other words now you have the job with a magnifying glass and tweezers to quickly rid your pollen of everything that is not pollen. That is why gentle tapping was so important. Now that you have the pollen clean, mixing it with the wheat flour is the last thing you do. Never more than the same volume as the pollen.
Mix well and then immediately put in the freezer. Make sure you label it with the info of which plant it came from.

The best way for me is to use two glass plates, with fine tweezers and a magnifying glass as a necessary auxiliary tool. I sift the wheat flour with the help of a tights stocking with a fineness of 15 denier or finer.
Please note, everything you do from this point on must be 100% clean and free of bacteria and / or fungi.
And then, this is the method I prefer. It is only possible if you have 2 glass plates and the correct sieves at your disposal. I made them myself because they are difficult to find. These 2 sieves ensure that I have 99.9% pollen left over in a reasonably short time. My first sieve is made with screen gauze and the second with material normally used by screen printers. The first sieve removes all the clearly visible plant material and the second sieve only allows pollen to pass through. Without these two sieves, I would never be able to collect pollen in fairly large amounts. This works well and is very functional. With this method I pull a large paper bag over the entire plant as carefully as possible.
Before I pull that bag over it, the plant is pushed slightly to the ground direction. This is a job where you really should have someone’s help.
Never a plastic bag or purse because of the dust and pollen-attracting static effect.
A few big taps against the trunk will do the rest. This way you get a lot of plant parts, but there are sieves for that and it saves a lot of time. You must always assume that the process from “harvesting to freezing” is very crucial in terms of time.
So I always do the wheat flour sifting in advance, to save time once you have collected and purified the pollen. Also on a clean glass plate and then leave a small section at an angle to mix with the pollen later. As you buy wheat flour, it is normally really dry as long as you don’t have sweaty hands on it. If you leave about a teaspoon of wheat flour on the glass plate, you will always have plenty. Finally, it is better not to mix an absurd amount of flour with your pollen, because that makes it quite difficult.

Hope I did ok @SpeesCees

HAGO!

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing, this should go to the GrowFAQ 2.0 … Arriba|nullxnull

6 Likes

I’ll do an auto project if you’d like. I am already in on some freakshow seed and have elite auto lines.

You can also treat seed with a ~10% bleach solution, then rinse in tap water to prevent seed-borne damping off. And/or treat with something like Rootshield WP, a Trichoderma harzianum Rifai product before planting. Of course, you also loose any beneficial microbes on the exterior of the seed as well.

8 Likes

To anybody playing with autos if you have reg auto beans and get a male I need pollen , and those are some odd looking seedlings guessing we will see some freakadelic plants soon. Fern gully looking weed.

10 Likes

@Tappy… keep in mind that this strain is a worked anomaly variation and it’s supposed to look like an ugly step child… don’t forget this and pull them out!

8 Likes