Gpaw's New grow (#5),CBD photoperiod

Might be due to the stems now compartmentalising , so the nutrients slow above that point until it’s fully compartmentalised. Yours looks like it’s soft and mushy and not fully doing it. I may be wrong .

3 Likes

Hi Arthur,
Something ‘funny’ with these girls, I have never seen anything like this on previous plants I’ve super-cropped. They always just developed the usual ‘knuckle’ bulge. Structurally they seem really solid.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Getting rid of all of those leaves was the right move, someone said “they are a Hotel for pests and diseases” :spider:, I don’t know if with that supercrop the stem was wounded and its weakness was a door open to disease, looks like botrytis to me :sweat:. Keep an eye on it and if you see it goes further chop chop.

The rest of the plant looks healthy, if that presumable deficiencies shown in those leaves were in the bottom and the new growth is fine, looks like you have it under control … :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Thanks George,

My first thought when I saw that was ‘irrigate the wound’, but then went blank as to with what, so I figured LITFA was right, unless someone suggests something else.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

George,
I think you nailed it Botrytis cinerea photos look like it!

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thanks, had it last year with my tomatoes :sweat:, having shaved her legs and more airflow will help with that, it comes with humidity, be sure to avoid it expansion … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Today’s Lesson

Botrytis Cinerea

Hat tip to George for identifying the ‘wee beastie’

From the stoner ‘fountain of universal knowledge’, Wikipedia

TL:DR

Nitrogen toxicity increases the chances of getting infected.

I knew I had an issue in veg but I figured they would use up all of the easily available N before Flower. Guessed wrong, older leaves are getting darker and darker the lowest branches that are not growing - dark with claws

I tried a new soil recipe for heavy feeders, I thought I could get away with it because Seedsman said they were 80% Sativa. I figured they would be hogs like my last batch of Jack Herer

You can actually detect early infection of the leaf with a specific band (580nm) of light. The reflected light sort of ‘highlights’ the infected leaf.

Management

Air flow through the plants

1.wack out some inner & lower leaves, open up the structure
2.one school of stoner thought is it is better to spread a heavy pruning over several days (less shock)

Sanitation

• remove sick leaves and branches

Biochar (dirt folk only)

• Biochar in the soil improves the plant’s immune system to fight off infection

Chemical (yuck)

• there is a fungicide that can be sprayed on 1st week of flower

Bio-control

• There are two commercial products containing ‘microbial antagonists’

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Thought of the day

Remember 2015? Google Glass had been around for about a year or so and was the most innovative convergence of technologies we had seen of late.
Some of the potential uses were showing up in books like William Gibson’s Pattern Recognition.
Yes, Some jerks were getting their collective asses kicked for inappropriate use of Google glasses - but that was to be expected with something as new as this.
Then - radio silence. Well, not completely, there was some mention about ‘enterprise applications’ but that was it.

How could a technology with that sort of potential just disappear from public consciousness?

Something to cogitate on after sparking a spliff.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

Yeah, that was a good one :smiley:

As one elder told me when I was young, “some questions don’t have an answer because the answer is the question” :wink:

4 Likes

It’s been 6 days since the attack of the Killer Mold was fought off.
We have stabilized and recovered from a significant trim in week three of flower.
Instead of removing the two branches suspected of being the source of the infection I decided to experiment a little. I kept them and irrigated the wounds daily with 3% hydrogen peroxide. I’m seeing positive results, The wounds are ‘greening up’ and closing slightly. So far I can’t get the camera to focus clearly to document.
On other fronts, I’m still loosing a couple leaves a day (showing early signs of attack) so it looks like it is going to be a race to the finish line 5 weeks away.

So lets look at bud development from Apr 6 thru Apr 11
(you will see daily shots of the same bud (Doc 3 2 o’clock)that’s part of a side project)

up close and personal

There’s just something about watching them fill in each day of flower that is calming and amazing at the same time

Apr 7 (21 days into flower)

Apr 8

Apr 9

You can see the early flowering structure developing

Apr 10

Apr 11 (25 days of flower)

I’ve been taking daily shots of a specific bud (like a kluged time-lapse) for my doc process

25 Likes

Great green buds :sun_with_face:

May I ask what’s your purpose with the CBD strain ? I never tried one so I was wondering about the effects and what ailment you may cure with it.

5 Likes

Well, thank-you!

We process the plants normally and do an alcohol extraction. The tincture is then used to make gummies.

Primarily they are for arthritis, general pain management and a sleeping aid.

Cheers
G

15 Likes

Apr 15 (29 days of flower)

I was trying a different setting on the camera and I think the buds really look better

Frizzel bits - only bud showing browning on the stigma ends

22 Likes

They are staking up well, looking good G.

6 Likes

Nice !

how long do you plan to flower them ?

2 Likes

Hi GR nice to see you.
According to Seedsman, these are an eight week flower (almost at week 5 now), and as Shadey said - they are stacking up. The ‘fade’ is setting in and it is a sprint to the finish.
It looks like it is going to be ‘interesting’ figuring out when they are done as, so far, there are very few of the usual capitate-stalked tricomes.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Oh wow, yeah those are looking great now! Definitely stacking up for sure!

I’d say, most likely it will be another month before you even need to start checking trichomes.

3 Likes

Apr 16 (30 days of flower)

Doc 1 is showing ‘the fade’

Side shot of Doc 2 showing bud site development

Obligatory bud shot…

Apr 17 (day 31 of flower)

Check out the fade

side profile showing development

Yup, another bud shot

Apr 18 (32 days of flower)

Amazingly even top canopies. :mag_right:

We are building colas!! :man_factory_worker:

Top Dressing
I am constantly amazed by how these plants can consume 7 gallons of super soil in a grow (I should at least hear a burp…). Through several revisions this is my mid flower top dress.

The before shot

After

4 Parts ProMix
3 Parts EWC
Perlite as you see fit
2 Tsp of Gaia Green Power Bloom (2-8-4)
2 Tsp of powdered egg shell

Step 1 Mix up the Promix, powdered egg shell and EWC.
Step 2 mix in the perlite to suit

So now I have a nice basin of base mix. I mix in the PB into 4 ‘double handfuls’ of base mix. One ‘double handful’ packed nicely around the base of each plant. The balance mixed up and divvied out to each plant.
Then water them up. :shower:
The roots come right up to feed.

17 Likes

’Fun with tables’

So, here is a little experiment with table formatting as previously posted by @allotment

Height Table (datum = dirt)
(March, meas. inches)

Doc# 8 10 12 14 16 :sunflower: 17 19 21 23 25 27 29 31
D1 12 13.5 14.5 16 16 17 18 18.5 18.5 19 20.5 21.5 21
D2 13 14 14 15 15.5 16 16.5 17 17 17 19 20 21
D3 11 11 12 13.5 13.5 14 15 15 16 16 17.5 19 20

(April, meas. inches)

Doc# 2 6 10 13 16 18
D1 23 23.5 24 24 24 24
D2 21 22.5 23.5 23.5 24 24
D3 22 22.5 23.5 24 24 24.5

It’s somewhat crude but oddly forgiving.
Rather neat seeing the slowdown at the back end of veg and then about an 8 day lag after switching to flower, but I think a graphical representation might be better.

Cheers
G

9 Likes

Thought of the Day

I had an interesting insight last night while thinking about the preservation of landraces.

Archaeologists have tied cannabis to people back to 5,000 BC

There’s indirect evidence pushing the ‘possible’ date back to 30,000 BC.

So, people have been using and caring for this plant – and trading

So really, those landraces are ‘in a sense’ time capsules from the past (as well as really cool plants in their own right).

So basically, we are doing exactly what our ancestors did – just at warp speed.
We are going to smash out interesting expressions in phenotypes that commercial interests might not care for.

Cheers
G

13 Likes