Greenleaf Nutrients MEGA CROP Q&A/Support/Pictures/Feedback/Anything thread

You can find a baseline PPM very quickly. For example, add in 6g/gal MEGA CROP, stir in well. Measure PPM/EC/TDS on your meter.

Write down the number, then in the future you can just use the meter reading 100% as your guide and not measure out nutrients.

2 Likes

I fed my Royal Queen auto quick one that is in week 7 and the flowering stretch 10g/gallon by accident a week ago and she loves it. Even while doing some defoliation tactics on her. No burn at all in 5 gal soil smart pot under a 3500 k cob from cobshop

1 Like

Youā€™re right on according to my spreadsheet/calculator. It uses 16 micro/macro nutrients, not just NPK. On the 500 scaleā€¦

Add 35 ppm water and Bingo! 656 ppm

EDIT: All credit for the calculator goes to Mel Frank and friends for sharing their hard work: http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/articles/profiles.htm My spreadsheet took it a step further.

5 Likes

looks good. We also have a build in PPM calculator on the site exactly for MC :slight_smile:

https://greenleafnutrients.com/feeding-chart/#1503551740849-5add0c8a-5261

5 Likes

Alright, received the small package of promotional MEGA CROP! Thank you, Greenleaf. Feeding my strawberries their springtime desert with this today:

And, for the more ambitious crops, I bought the 22lbsā€™er:

I could certainly smell the rather distinct aroma of amino acids and other amendments in the mix. Should be good stuff.

5 Likes

@GreenleafNutrients, just wondering if I want to feed some of my container grown veggie and berries with MegaCrop, would I use the same or near schedule as I would with pot? Say maybe some strawberryā€™s in a 5 gallon bucketā€¦TIAā€¦

3 Likes

All I smell is shit! :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

use veg strength formula as starting point.

1 Like

Haha, kind-of a black-powder / organic smell. Not bad, not like shit to me. Perhaps a faint hint of a smell like that of a waste processing plant?

To me, the closest odor is more something like:

Plants seem to love stinky stuff, though :smiley:

6 Likes

I just finished a run using MegaCrop start to finish, and while I am fairly pleased with the outcome I do have a question and some feedback.

Question : How in the hell are people not getting sediment in the rez when using MegaCrop? Iā€™ve seen several people mention that they have seen no sedimentation when using it, but that is absolutely not my experience at all. In my experience, there is more sediment from MegaCrop than anything else Iā€™ve ever used in a rez. This may turn out to be a dealbreaker for me, actually. When using 3g/gal up to 6/gal I get a light layer of sediment/sludge at the bottom of the rez after about 48 hours on average, which grows progressively worse over time. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s my main rez or some other container, whether I use H202 or not, whether the rez is aerated or not, whether there is a circulating pump in the rez or not, or if I just mix it up in a jug and let it sit for 48 hours. All of those scenarios result in sludge settling at the bottom of the rez. What the hell am I doing differently than everyone else there?

Also, there is absolutely not enough mag in MegaCrop for me to grow my standard strains in coco dtw with COB LED lighting without supplementation. MegaCrop has less mag than Jacks or MaxiBloom, for instance, and in coco under LED I usually add up to 1g/gal of Epsom even with those. Having said that, supplementing MegaCrop with Epsom worked fine, and didnā€™t take much to keep the girls happy.

Quality wise, I am well pleased. The finished product turned out quite nice. Very frosty and potent, especially for a first run with an unfamiliar nute line.

I think I could really get to like this stuff if it didnā€™t add to my workload cleaning out the rez and plumbing two or three times a week. As a nearly crippled person dealing with several issues that result in chronic pain, and growing exclusively for personal use, thereā€™s only so much work I am willing to invest in growing.

6 Likes

Have you touched/sampled/smelled the stuff in the bottom of the rez? Is it gritty or slimy or smelly or?

What water are you using - tap or RO or? How is your water quality? PH, EC?

I am about 2 weeks into flowering stage with 3 Blue Dream clones in my hydro experiment. I have been using Mega Crop at about 6-7 gm/gal - (EC = 2.1 to 2.3ms) but am dropping down to about 4 - 5 grams for a while based on my PH/EC/Water level changes shown in this chart.

My clones look very happy at 5-6 grms/gal, but I want to see what happens at lower dosage.

I am running a 17 gal main rez, with three 5 gal totes for plants, one of which is E/F, one is NFT and one is Meniscus Membrane type hydro. I have zero build up in the rez. The water is always very clear and clean looking. The only thing that is ever in the bottom of my rez is red dust/grains from the red lava rock I use int he E/F tote.

Im still too new to know for sure if its strain related or what, but this Blue Dream strain also really likes more Cal Mag added. Ive recently read on some other forums that other folks are associating LED lights with the need for extra Cal Mag, but I have no clue if that really true or just anecdotal nonsense and/or coincidence. Im also running Hydro Guard.

3 Likes

What kind of setup do you have? That seems like a lot of rez cleaning.

Its been 36 days since I started the clones, and I did two rez changes so far. The rez looks so good, and smells so good, I have decided not to do any more rez changes. I dont think they are necessary for me. Im just going to add water as needed and more Mega Crop as needed to keep the EC within range - unless something starts to get whacky.

3 Likes

It does not smell bad, but there is a very faint ā€œoffā€ odor. I have only touched it while wearing gloves, and it is not gritty. There are no filaments or similarities to cyanobacteria or other bacteria blooms I am familiar with. It honestly just looks like I would expect MegaCrop sediment to look like. It does not appear to hurt the plants in any way, at least not that Iā€™ve noticed. Root balls at harvest were very healthy looking, but were a bit tan colored.

Straight tap water. Water quality here is quite good compared to other places Iā€™ve lived. Itā€™s typically around 35ppm or so, and although I donā€™t remember the details of the water quality report I got about three years ago I remember being pretty impressed. I believe the pH is about neutral, but it has next to no buffering due I guess to low carbonates.

I too want to see how they do at lower doses. I dropped down to about 3g/gal near the end with no apparent ill effects, but Iā€™d like to try to find the ā€œsmallest effective doseā€ eventually.

Huh. I suppose itā€™s possible that thereā€™s something off with the batch I received, but that seems pretty unlikely. I wish I had a microscope that I could use to see this stuff better. I think Iā€™m going to go buy some distilled water and mix up 6g/gal and let it sit in an enclosed container for several days and see if itā€™s a water issue. Not sure what else to try to diagnose this.

1 Like

I have a ten gal main rez with a pump that runs to octo-bubbler style distributors for drip lines, and top feed coco in small pots drain to waste. That main rez is topped off via a float valve from a 4 gal bucket from above, which is where I add all inputs.

I get sediment (or whatever it is) in both areas, which gets progressively worse the longer I go without cleaning it. When running Maxibloom at up to 7g/gal, or my usual Jacks 3-2-1 I almost never cleaned the rez as it would remain crystal clear.

It may be that I am just paranoid and cleaning it up more often than needed as it does not appear to be harming the plants, but the idea of that sitting in my rez and plumbing bothers me.

Thats a good idea.

I understand that perfectly. It would bother me too.

Based on what you said, I cant think of anything it could be other than a water issue or something in your batch of Mega Crop.

Or - is there anything else you are adding to the water?

If the distilled water test does the same thing, you might ask the Mega Crop folks if you can get another small sample to try to see if it is a quality control issue.

1 Like

To back up @Howard.Crane, i too have been getting the sludge but have just been keeping on top of cleaning my reservoirs. I havenā€™t done further tests to see if its the mega crop (klep extract ?) that is or something else dropping out or if its say a diatom buildup or something else im doing. Mind you the only thing i do extra is add a little calcium hypocrite just for keeping a dead res style system to prevent outbreaks or blooms of those diatoms or algaeā€™s.

Does definitely leave a bit of a slimy feeling behind, but diatoms do that as well so ??? just havenā€™t looked into it as the plants donā€™t seem to care.

3 Likes

This Starfighter came down on Sunday. It is the first plant run through with MegaCrop start to finish.

19 Likes

Now that you mention itā€¦ It looks exactly like dry Maxicrop kelp falling out of solution. I still have a bag of that somewhere that I donā€™t use any more because of that. Stuff is a great addition when hand watering, but never worked for me in an automated system.

Those look awesome! +1 = 20

2 Likes

So why would kelp extract precipitate out for some people and not most others? It would seem to me that a third element must be involved somewhere.

2 Likes