Growing on the cheap! Korean Natural Farming

So if you get preoccupied and don’t check on your JMS and it starts to smell really bad, that means its dead, right?

1 Like

I’d like to add another option for ‘protecting’ the top layer of IMO - I learned from Chris trump that you can add a sugar cap, just pour a little extra sugar on top to keep things ‘under wraps’. Using something heavy is good for fermenting to keep the air out. However with IMO in rice - you just want to keep it in a deep sleep state - it shouldn’t be active in this stage.

2 Likes

I feel you! I personally tell everyone to follow master chos handbook for their first few times to get the method down, then start adding their own stuff. And i recommend getting a microscope as well. So hard to know what microbes you’re breeding amd transfering to your soil without a microscope

2 Likes

Morning Y’all,
So the black rice labs finished up, but the ph is at like 6. Lame! I’ve got another white rice wash working now, so I’ll make another batch.

5 Likes

Has anyone heard of taking male flowers at their peak and creating a FPJ from it, then either spraying the solution or doing a soil drench to a female plant will induce male pollen sacs which will create feminized pollen? I’ve just come across someone making these claims as an organic reversal technique and wondering if anyone has tried it

2 Likes

Interesting, it’s all enzyme driven right, so there might be some validity to it. :thinking:

1 Like

Is there a way to bring the ph down? Maybe add a bit of your old culture ?

I plan on testing it out but won’t be for a while and was wondering if anyone else had a chance

1 Like

Sounds to me like they caused some other stress. PH stress, for example, can illicit this same response.

3 Likes

No apparently it’s not a stressor but enzymes/hormones that are altering the production of male/female parts on stable genetics. I’ll be trialing it out though to see if it has any merit

4 Likes

Make a thread or post it here, I would be interested to see if it works.

I have my doubts because it’s not a hormone that produces the male flower on a female plant, it is the absence of a hormone (ethylene) that causes the female to produce male flowers. Silver products work by blocking the ethylene.

8 Likes

I have made soo many ferments, teas, sprays, and topdressings with male plants to apply to my girls and have never seen any of them do anything funky

9 Likes

Bob Hemphill talks about feeding his culled males back to his female crop in his second potcast interview. He said the he previously would chop them up and let them soak in water as an extract, more recently it sounds like he’s blitzing them in a blender and feeding that back to the crop.

6 Likes

Oh man, KNF is so complex and intimidating to fully commit to. I feel like I’m doing half KNF and half JADAM, probably not the best approach. KNF has a lot to it and I have never made OHN and it looks like a lot of commitment, time and money. I feel like I was on the fence about getting started for about a year, then only half way got in. I think that it’s hard to learn about because most of the information is in Korean and the U.S gov doesn’t want us to learn this stuff. I was shocked to find out that KNF has been around since the 60’s and it’s just now becoming popular. JADAM seems to be a lot easier to do, but it takes a little more time to make the ferments. Simple tho…

5 Likes

100 percent agree.
JADAM was developed by Youngsang Cho, the son of Cho Han Kyu (who compiled the original KNF methodology);
the entire intent of JADAM is to simplify, and improve KNF, removing the sugars, and hyper specific components, and creating more approachable inputs (I’m looking at you IMO-1 through five!)
Cho Han Kyu now endorses the JADAM approach, and, having recently synthesizing literally ALL off the KNF components, I’m actually really eager to never do that again!
I’m still going to do the write up for KNF, and I’ve already got a bucket out back, filled with 10 pounds of kitchen scraps, a handful of unfinished compost, and 4 gallons of water. I’m thinking I’m a JADAM convert.

6 Likes

JADAM certainly seems more approachable.

Steven Raisner mentions the insurance that KNF brings especially to beginners as apposed to JADAM. Basically saying that through fermentation and knf practices that the good out competes the bad when making knf inputs. JADAM on the other hand is more of a raw extraction or transfer of ALL organisms which then are left to battle it out in the root zone.
His theories resonate well with me. Dude is a brain.

I straddle the line between KNF, JADAM, and store bought organic inputs.

5 Likes

I too am kind of half and half. I really enjoy making ferments since they are good for human consumption as well as plant health. although the use of the sugar is less than ideal to me, i have started using organic cane sugar instead of brown sugar and that makes me feel a bit better.
The dislike of all the sugar is what led me to JADAM, and i am really enjoying the results from that as well.
I have had good success with KNF inputs with foliar in veg and am really liking the JMS for later on in transition to flower as a drench.
My house plants are in love with KNF foliar.

@HeadyBearAdventures did you add any LABs to that bucket of kitchen scraps? wondering if that might help breed more of the good guys?

5 Likes

All of my inputs are wild fermented, no LABS added.
When growing mushrooms, we inoculate the substrate with a fairly high ratio of colonized grain so that the desired mycelium can easily outcompete other microbes and dominate that ecosystem.
LABS uses milk to encourage lactose loving bacteria, a sourdough starter uses flour to encourage wild yeast colonization; essentially I feel that inoculating all ferments with LABS limits the microbial diversity by allowing an established population to gain a quick upper hand.
In JLF, the fermenting agent is leaf mold because it has billions of organisms always present.
In short: LABS = faster ferment but less diversity
Wild cultured= longer ferment/more
diversity

14 Likes

Thank you @HeadyBearAdventures ! Thats a gem of info right there!

3 Likes

Great info. That makes sense

3 Likes