HLVD virus rampant in CA farms

$25 per test for HLVD, $40 for a mother plant screening that tests for two viroids,

minumum order 10 tests. Not really as available to consumers as their website implies.

I was going for two tests for some incomming clones, and maybe a third for another local gardener. According to a clone supplier I have spoken with, supposedly best practice is to test multiple times over several weeks.

But I was only going to do one test per plant to keep the costs low.

3 Likes

I would split them with you if they are good for at least a year or something. Always handy tool to have!!!
Edit. Unless you have to send all 10 at 1 time.

2 Likes

They say shelf stable 3 months room temperature, or one year refrigerated. let’s get in touch.

3 Likes

Add me for two tests if theres room, I’ll have a few cuts coming as well.

@zephyr thanks for that excellent post. I’ll read into the link from @oldguy later.

I have two strains now, one recently tested by FarmerJoe. Two inbound that I’d like to test since I’m restarting clean.

3 Likes

FarmerFreeman will do 3 virus panel for $55 per sample

10 Likes

Great tip thanks holyangel that’s also a good option. No minimum order from them?

It’s a bit more expensive though, about double the cost of tumi’s hlvd test, and 15 more than their $40 mother plant screening testing for hlvd and fusarium.

4 Likes

No minimum order but yeah, costs more :confused:
He’s got the individual test only for HLVD, but it’s $50 vs the $55 of the triple test… figure might as well do all 3.

Darkheart Nursery was doing $25 tests for it but I guess their website no longer exists? I can’t find anything about it now.

5 Likes

Mouth Breathers

2 Likes

I’m going to stay positive and look at it like my stash of clean seeds has quintupled in value.

11 Likes

I find the statistics interesting. Does anyone think they really have a clue how much growing is going on to start with?
Personally,I doubt it. Maybe they mean legal, fully documented,tax paying people, all 317 of them.

2 Likes

that will work out perfectly if you are interested, sent you a message.

2 Likes

This is what you get when monocropping on synthetic fertilizers…

Diversifying crops and using organic permaculture methods prevent imbalances like this.

3 Likes

This is a virus. It has nothing to do with nutrients or organics. It’s spread throughout all cannabis/hemp/hops. You can’t diversify and grow green beans!
Edit. Please don’t give out misinformation on this.

16 Likes

I’m curious, what do synthetic fertilizers have to do with it?

And by diversifying crops/monocropping, are you talking strains, or completely different species? I’m not aware of strain making any difference in this virus, and most people don’t have any reason to grow another species

I think most people would say the problem is more the rampant sharing without quarantine protocol, especially in commercial

7 Likes

Back when this virus first came out before anyone knew what it was. We all noticed the healthy organic grows were less affected. And some varieties tolerated it better than others. Probably the practice of keeping cuttings is what caused this issue in the first place. Humans have been growing cannabis for thousands of years. Starting from seed every year in outdoor environments. So we start taking clippings, bring them indoors feed them basic synthetic nutrients and then nature unleashes the plague on us that turns our prize cuttings to crap. It’s just a coincidence that this virus showed up now?

4 Likes

But virus’ “transform” and jump from species. That’s how we now can aquire the swine flu + all the other virus’ we(humans) are now susceptible to that we used to not be they “transformed”. Transformed may be the incorrect word, maybe morphed? Someone with biology experience would be able to help more.

3 Likes

Wear a condom

6 Likes

This is a fungus not a virus I believe but still interesting:

8 Likes

In order to understand origins of viruses and diseases you need to understand wild nature.
Nature kills what there is too much of, it kills what isn’t sustainable for the whole.
When you look at permaculture with a wide diversity of species packed together on a small footprint of land, the diversity itself keeps everything in check.

Nature thrives through diversity.

Diversity in plants automatically explodes diversity of insects and other animals as well. When you allow all of them to exist, then they keep eating eachother and everyone gets a life cycle long enough to reproduce, keeping it all going sustainably and by itself, without interference needed from human beings.

In order to prevent viruses all we need to do as gardeners and farmers is diversify, sow many species of plants that we can use as food and thus medicine.

Let food be thy medicine, eat a diversity of herbs on a daily basis, this then helps our immunesystem deal effortlessly with human viruses as well.

Diversity increases sustainability, fertility, viability, and lifts our mood, keeps us healthy.

7 Likes

Same goes for the Oceans. We are killing that also.

2 Likes