How did you get into pollinating / breeding?

I don’t think so.

Welcome.

5 Likes

I’ve always been interested in genetics and the thought of creating something different. I used to research for hours about breeding reptiles and vegetables, and stacking traits, but never got to practice very much of it.

I have some F2 strawberry plants growing outside from a cross between an everbearing plant from walmart, and Fragaria Virginiana which grows wild here and is one of the 2 original strawberry’s used to create modern berries. All F1s had slightly sour berries.

Its all just very interesting to me. Steering life. It still seems odd to me that we have the power to do it. And so quickly.

8 Likes

A friend bought el chipi mix from
Sensi seeds they were pretty but lacked punch, I grew out some landrace heavens knows what, found a male and bred to the faves, we got some real nice cannabis, that was a long 35 years ago

3 Likes

Bred my first grow. Decades later I bought a $100 pack. Never again. I feel sorry for people who buy into all this garbage.

3 Likes

Woo ! Thanks everyone !

I didn’t know they’re was so many breeders ! ( Yes I know use that term lightly ; I won’t call it pollen chucking yet lol)

Interesting introductions I must say! More interesting than Id been expecting !

Hope I wasn’t biting off the “who plans on making seeds” thread :slight_smile:

It seems I will continue with research - but may end up doing the male jail as @Foreigner said.

Or possibly hang around a bit longer until I stumble across some pollen!

I’m not in any rush and as @Budderton mentioned - it will come naturally as I progress with growing :slight_smile:

Great answers and stories all!

6 Likes

Just FYI my jail consists of a fluoro from 1991 and is just in a spare bathroom with no ventilation.

All the best.

3 Likes

Welcome to OG @Mudballs .

2 Likes

I made my first seeds 32 years ago in an attic. Read about pollinating plants with paint brush method in High Times. Oh to be 17 again.

4 Likes

Making Feminized seeds came around for me 5 years ago.

2 Likes

LOL
Poor males lol

What lighting schedule do males require to begin pollenation? Same as female ? 12 hours darkness?

2 Likes

12 hours correct.

The lack of ventilation is actually a good thing so the vents don’t spew pollen through the apartment.

3 Likes

LOL- I was thinking that about the ventilation - that it may somewhat be intentional !
Thanks!

1 Like

In fact I taped over the vent with a piece of cardboard.

This also has advantages for drying.

3 Likes

I am going to do exactly that right now :+1:

2 Likes

Welcome to OG @Mudballs

1 Like

I want to pass on to you that if you start playing with males and pollen, be careful on which males you use. If a male is hypersensitive then thats how these hermie prone strains get made like GG#4.use a male that wasnt so fast at flip

2 Likes

Right on!! Thanks!

Appreciate the info!

I’m a bit away from any experiments yet :wink:

I think I have some reg photos coming to me, I will be waiting before I run them to see if I can grow out whatever pops .

I’ve heard a lot about gorilla glue , not in-depth though. I’ve also heard about unstable genetics going herm because not Bred thouroghly / properly.

Lots of knowledge on O.G. For me when I’m ready to learn though :slight_smile:

Glad to see you here @Mudballs

1 Like

In 98’ I got passed the torch, so it chose me, I didn’t chose it.

3 Likes

That’s the truth man. I am looking into buying my first clone, I have one other keeper so far, still figuring out my style. What ones have you preserved??

1 Like