How do you keep your strain collection?

I don´t know dude. I kinda think all that is fucked up and scary. Just this morning in the shower it occurred to me how it will be impossible to avoid genetic contamination from GMOs in the not so far away future. I might just be a reactionary.

Now, the future I want for me is legality keep gaining ground and being able to have a greenhouse collection of my own strains, and clones of all sorts, to be grown outdoors on a sunny Colombian hill. However, with corporate interests dictating the conditions of the “legality” regulation, it does not seem likely. In fact, we might end up seeing that “legal” means for corporations only.

3 Likes

Grew tired of keeping clones.

Let some really nice plants go.

I run seeds mostly, take clones almost as often, and try to get it into friends tents to keep the really good ones around for a while.

I love seeds, but there has to be a way to “easily” keep a clone system going. It would be sad to think that jar is definitely the last of “my” Goji OG or whatever. Being able to keep a plant alive and unchanged from generations seems like a miracle to me, and an invitation to chuck pollen now and then.

Nothing lasts forever. Learning how to cross will bring back familiar flavors while experiencing new. Its OK!

2 Likes

That is why we should keep growing this community and create a nice seed sharing culture :grin:. Prices are getting out of hand. I´ll keep looking into your posts to discover your creations.

2 Likes

aren’t you in colombia, i thought cultivation and possession were decriminalized (or at least “not enforced” it said on wiki)

I think you could make a small space and use floros or similar. Something that you can run 24/7 but won’t be so much light that they grow quickly. Your PCBs should be used for their awesomeness. Flower under this babies.

@Grower13 seems to have a good system. Check out some of @Mr.Sparkle micro grows too, he’s got some small mother spaces.

Cheers

1 Like

Possesion of up to 20 grams is not a criminal offense, and there is Supreme Court precedents claiming there is not a crime even for larger amounts for personal consumption. Cultivation is limited to 20 plants (no height or canopy size restriction), but since a criminal offense requires a threat to public health there should be no crime if the product is not sold or even given freely to third parties. “Plant” means a live plant or its harvested parts, so that leaves us with the question of whether a mother and its clones are just a single immortal plant :joy:

That is the theory. In practice, you can imagine cops have better things to do here if they want to get some dope, and that in the streets if a cop wants to bug you it does not matter if its legal or not.

3 Likes

Thanks for chiming in! We´ll see… these 120s are meant to be run at about 50w or less, so one for each 2x3 level does not seem too much, and twenty something a pop + driver is not too bad. Electricity here is rather expensive (like 25-30 US$ cents/kWh) so LEDs make sense too.

I also have some 2700k 288 diodes QBs cooking some delicious buds on other tent!

1 Like

I keep bonsai mothers. I can fit up to 15 in a 2x2x2 space under a 4-bulb 2’ T5.

5 Likes

Do you have a thread or grow log for this? How long does a bonsai keep going before you have to replace it with a new one?

Yes @ReikoX we need a whole thread dedicated to that system!

1 Like

I’m probably just envious and wish I had all LEDs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

COBs and QBs have done right by me. I´ve been hesitant to look into suplemental UVA/UVB (nasty dangerous stuff, at least in my mind) and red/blue diodes though. QB 120s and in general PCBs with LESS better spread diodes seem like a good way to go, as they keep cost “low” (in diodes and cooling) and give better spread. If I had more space I´d make a flowering tent using those, and if I had more money and space I´d go crazy and make a sort of cube of light with PCBs on the top and sides.

1 Like

Yeah man, check out my Workshop

I have a couple that are a little over a year old and need to be replaced. I keep them in fabric pots I made using the tutorial @Mr.Sparkle has on ICMag. It automatically root prunes. I feed them Dr.BudGreenGenes recipe (Shultz 10-15-15, Superthrive, and Fish Hydrolyslate).

If I were you, I would get a 2x3 wire frame rack and make levels with the quantum boards. Open design, maybe a few clip on fans.

1 Like

Pure gold. Thanks @ReikoX! I knew there was more to this than “keep mother plants”! :grinning:

My gripes with an open design are a cat who loves to eat cannabis plants, that I´d rather be able to have this in the kitchen or somewhere other than my growroom, and that humidity here is a bit too low for seedlings and clones (about 45-50%). A wire frame rack within a tent seems like a good way to go. Do you have a good source for parts, or just HD?

1 Like

Like @ReikoX i use to keep Bonsai Mothers in 500ml fabric pots, which btw my inspiration for them came from an article on the original Overgrow a decade plus ago, but those bonsai mothers take up next to no space, and would provided 3-6+ clones per plant every two weeks which was more than enough for me.

But since going over to autos i just keep seeds only now for obvious reasons, but saying that making your own feminized seeds is super easy, and an excellent way to keep your genetics around if you don’t want to maintain mothers for the long haul.

Sure you get a little variation when making those seeds, but its relatively easy to find a nice mother again.

All you need is some pure silver, distilled water, a wall wort “dc power transformer with around a 5-20v output” and some alligator clips to hold onto your silver, for me takes a couple hours to make some colloidal silver, which i then spray on my plant of choice one to two times a day from week 2-2.5 till it starts producing pollen which is around week 5-6, and you pollinate your mother of choice with that ideally allowing around 3.5-4 weeks for seeds to develop.

Then you have some seeds of your chosen favorites.

2 Likes

Yeah the cat eating plants would be a problem. You could wrap it in panda plastic, but I bet you could find a tent online that would work. It would look nicer too. 45-50% humidity sounds like a sauna to me :laughing: But I live in the high desert. :sunny:

1 Like

It is quite easy to make more fem auto seeds. In fact, I just finished a run in my PC, thanks to your input. I got something like 50 seeds of mixed varieties. I am even doing a second round. For micro grows, the autos just seem to produce better. For the bigger cabs, I still like clones and photos.

1 Like