How to spot misinformation

Do we though?

2 Likes

Sinclair media bought up a lot of local stations and sends them packages and segments they have to do and air. Not the only source for this kind of thing, but a BIG one.

5 Likes

Yes but the average person doesn’t know that and goes by the logo in the corner. When the logo changes and what you heard elsewhere is now “confirmed” by a “different media source” that’s enough for most people.

5 Likes

Two words: Operation Mockingbird.

8 Likes

Read books don’t watch the news. Read things through the lens of bias that are not to your own.

Also cows can fly.

9 Likes

Check out my thread, it’s full of misinformation!

10 Likes

They can! (-With the help of an appropriate aircraft or catapult)

3 Likes

Cow-tapult

8 Likes
7 Likes

Or a cow-nnon maybe.

2 Likes

I like this guy’s YouTube channel. He analyzes the linguistics of influential people and provides an interesting commentary on the intention and meaning of their words.

https://m.youtube.com/@martindecoder/videos

Seeking truth through language. We look at the language of influential people to find out what they really mean. The videos are aimed at making you even better at reading people in the media and in your own conversations.
My educational background is Linguistics and Media Studies (MA). I have more than 6 years of college-level teaching experience, working as a research assistant and as a lecturer.

Its not misinformation but it’s a pretty neat way to examine communication.

5 Likes

There’s one I always think of about when Bill Clinton got busted with Monica Lewinsky.

His exact wording was “I did not have sexual relations with, that woman, Ms Lewinsky.”

Classic distancing behaviour.

Sexual relations: not fucked
That woman: you know who she is she worked in your office.
Ms Lewinsky: you know her name, again, she worked in your office.

Not to pick on Clinton but it’s just an example that stuck with me.

5 Likes

I feel like I very rarely encounter real misinformation in the news, in the sense that the newscasters are giving information that is just plain false. Most of the time, they don’t even present any real facts. They have guests, and the news is that their guest said certain things. The things the guests are saying can be false, unresearched, complete misinformation or based purely on emotion and opinion. Most of the time, it doesn’t matter because people watch the news that tells them what they want to hear - usually, that they’re righteous in their anger against the other party because the other party is evil. No information, no facts, no muss, no fuss. Just passionate rhetoric and pointing at someone to hate. Why even bother wasting your time listening to it?

6 Likes

A funny/not funny image popped into my head when I saw the topic. Something about San Francisco. If this ends-up unmanaged, likely.

3 Likes

so far so good. and nothing about lies are political unless you make them that way. the last part about how to train yourself to recognize it is pretty good also. it is very important to be able to see and avoid spreading misinformation, and most of them i am referring to are on the non-political thread in the form of innocent memes that are based on a shred of truth.

3 Likes

We could explore misinformation in society, like the time the Sugar Research Foundation funded all sorts of studies to show fats are bad and sugars are good. This 1950’s nonsense still permeates our society today.

9 Likes

or how a waste product became our number one go-to food…

and in the spirit of the thread, entirely un-fact checked by myself.

4 Likes

It’s important to think of who is controlling the narrative and why.

When I have a group of people over and we are going to order a pizza I don’t say “what would you like in your pizza?” I say “do you prefer sausage or pepperoni on your pizza?”Those are what I want anyway so I’ve given the illusion that they are included in the decision making and I get the pizza I like.

Same thing, just one is done on a stage.

10 Likes

not the same at all in most cases. but most of those that jump immediately to mind are political so…

These pizza minions are under my mind control.

6 Likes