Hungry and No Yeast! Baking Bread during the COVID-19 šŸž

I succumbed to spring weather and went kayaking most of the day. No fish but I saw a lot with water so clear. No wind either and paddling was effortless. All of my ingredients are sitting on the counter ready to go.

4 Likes

Iā€™m going to make some starters, but of course I have no idea what Iā€™m doing.

Iā€™m going to try a few experiments to get some variety and maybe a quicker result. I have some microbrew beer that says ā€œcontains live and active culturesā€ so Iā€™m going to make a starter with that as my yeast. Iā€™ll also be making one with steam beer which is brewed with wild yeast in open rooftop vats made of copper.
Iā€™ll be a making variation which will have the beer as well as cultured whey to inoculate it with some beneficial bacteria as well. I might even make a really experimental one that has Japanese koji rice cultures, just to see what happens.

2 Likes

Mini brioche loaves (not a sourdough) layered with butter and honey for the morning attitude adjustment:

7 Likes

Iā€™m finally doing my sourdough starter this morning. Iā€™m going to try the method in the BBA book. He uses pineapple juice in place of water the first two days to counter a bacteria that fools people into thinking itā€™s wild yeast since it produces high CO2. Itā€™s not needed really they say as it only occurs in 30-40% of people doing it. I think itā€™s on page 229.

Those rolls/loaves look and sound great!

4 Likes

Hey, whats wrong with pizza? I make pizza everyday. I just thank god we had what yeast we had when this shit went downā€¦

3 Likes

Royal Canadian Armoured Corps breakfastā€¦
Cold Pizza and warm beer!

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Nothing wrong. Delicious!

1 Like

Love it!

7 Likes

Is that yours? Alright, you do know that youā€™ll need to show us how you made that masterpiece!

Easy moneyā€¦ its all in the water.

2 Likes

These are pretty good tooā€¦

3 Likes

Upstate new york tap water, sugar, salt, little yeast, and some olive oil. Presto you got dough.

3 Likes

Shit, now im hungry.:grimacing:

2 Likes

Yes, now youā€™ve done it. Will need to start thinking about a dough.

I have to find some good pepperoni. Would you have a suggestion for a good store available brand?

3 Likes

You must own or work with a pizzeria. Man, I love calzones, too. Thatā€™s a beautiful pizza. Iā€™m having some thin crust from someone else just now. I hope to start the process of building a Horno stove out back. My neighbor has one and is a master adobe builder. Heā€™s 82ā€¦ and a hoot. I got the forms from him for making my own brick. Heā€™ll show me how to do it once Iā€™m ready.

They make a good pizza oven.

3 Likes

Really any pepperoni is good. Its the cheese thats important. We use Grande cheese 50/50 whole/skim mozz mix grated by hand.

2 Likes

No, im just the kitchen manager. I dont own the place. But I will tell you the trick. Watch a bunch of youtube videos and make your own method. Its not in the method, itā€™s the end result. The main idea is to make the dough as even in thickness all the way across until about an inch before the crust. With 12 ounces of dough you can do a really nice 14 inch. We even stretch 21 ounces out to 20 inch pies. For a beginner i would suggest 12 ounces stretch out to about 12 inches. Doesnt tak as much finesse.

5 Likes

I just fed my seed culture for making my barm. Day 2.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve out of likes for 11 hours, with 6 left to go, but I wanted to say :thumbsup: on the pictures, you guys produce some beautiful loaves.

SAF instant is available on Amazon, with Prime delivery by tomorrow.

4 Likes

Good lookin out tarzan, i was able to scoop a few of these for the pizza shop. Just in caseā€¦

4 Likes