I dont like to smoke - what do you recommend?

Wow! Lots to processā€¦Im gonna have more questions soon as I finish Googling all the new terms I dont knowā€¦

Thanks all!!

1 Like

supositories work awsome

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have been reading like crazy and its all still mostly a jumble in my mind at the moment, but I have decided to try the RSO thing using 2 oz of bud from a local dispensary. I found some EverClear locally that wont break the the bank for this test, so thats a start.

A couple of questions. With this stuff being so potent, I am concerned about accurate dosing of such small amounts.

What do you guys think about diluting the final product with something like Coconut Oil before placing it in capsules? It would be much easier to make consistent, uniformly sized doses if I have larger quantities to put in the capsules than the 1/3 or a grain of rice I have seen recommended for a dose. I just cant see me getting exactly 1/3 of a tiny drop of this stuff into the capsules with any consistency.

Next question is, will regular empty pill capsules you get at the vitamin store work, or do I need some special type to prevent the capsules from melting or dissolving too soon?

I would like to try a quality vape machine, but they are out of my budget range. The cheapo one I tried didnt really vaporize with any temp control. It was on (red hot burner) or off and the ā€œvaporā€ was as scalding as regular smoke.

1 Like

Another thing Im not clear on with the RSO process - decarboxylation. Do I need to decarb the buds before processing with the EverClear or is that done when boiling off the alcohol? Will decarboxylation work at 200 deg or so you get from a double boiler?

I dont have a rice cooker that most recommend, so I was planning to use a double boiler to get rid of most of the booze, and then a heating plate on low to finish it off.

Thanks again!!

If it is combined with the coconut oil, this should actually increase its bio-availability (check out soy lecithin powder) this stuff is great at getting oil to mix with non-oils (edible emulsifier).

Should be fine!

I donā€™t know much about RSO, never made it. 1 small drop under the tongue is all you would ever need, from what I hear.

There are RSO recipes here, be sure to read up on them.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ha! Ha! No pictures please. Ha! Ha! :grin:

On a serious note it is a good way to take large doses for cancer treatment.

1 Like

No pre-decarboxylation needed.
But remember alcohol vapor is mega-flamable, and it STINKS :nose: like boiling hashish.
Dont blow yourself up (you wouldnt be the first or last to do so) :fire: :fireworks: :police_car: :ambulance:

1 Like

I would, personally, decarb before hand. Put it in the oven, uncovered, at 250Ā°F for 40 minutes. This also helps dry out the bud and makes a cleaner extraction. Also check the proof of your alcohol, Everclear is sold both as 40% and 95% alcohol. You can use either, but again you will get a cleaner extraction with the 95% because it has less water in it.

The alcohol evaporates at 170Ā°F and is not hot enough for decarboxylation. Once the alcohol evaporates, it will jump to around 210Ā°F until the water is gone. If using a double boiler, it wonā€™t get much hotter than that. It would take between 1-2 hours at that temperature. Of course you can decarb after, but I find it easier to decarb bud than oil.

Just my two pennies. Feel free to ask any questions here. Iā€™ll be happy to help you with this process.

3 Likes

I just scored some old bud my bro remembered he had in the back of his closet. He thinks it might be a year old or maybe 2 yearsā€¦ he smokes a LOT :slight_smile:

Its very dry, but still has pretty strong odor and no signs of mold. He cant remember the last time he smoked any, but he said it gave him a good hi. He doesnt use it often because it was harsh to smoke.

Would it hurt to add this stuff to the fresh bud I just bought when doing the RSO thing?

2 Likes

No mold or anything Iā€™d think itā€™d be okā€¦ old bud supposedly has delta 8 THC which is allegedly a milder more tolerable high for someā€¦ itā€™s worth a google. Though it is probably converted into 11 hydroxy in the body just like delta9 when eaten.

2 Likes

You lost me with the chemistry, but thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

Yes, I would definitely use it. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Ok, its going in the mix :slight_smile:

Another question just occurred to me. Do I need to cure the plants Im growing if I dont intend to smoke - just go straight to RSO?

1 Like

correct, (if dry)ā€¦

2 Likes

No curing is good. That will save me some time at the end of the grow. :+1:

Ok, I did the decarbing at 250 deg, and just finished the soaking and filtering. I did a 3 step wash.

I crammed all of it into a 1 qt mason jar, and packed it in pretty tight, crushing and busting up chunks as I went. Then I did a first wash with about 1/2 full of the 190 EverClear for 3 minutes and drained that off through a coffee filter. Then I did a second wash for about 5 minutes and then a third for 10 minutes. The first two washes came out very brown/amber colored and dark. The third was much lighter, so I hope I got most of the good stuff out. Then I ran the liquid through another coffee filter cycle and its in jars now.

Tomorrow I plan to do the boil off - outside in the open air with a fan and a hot plate.

I just realized I now have just under 1.5 liters of Green Dragon tincture! I saved some of the tincture aside to try as is. Im going to try some of that later tonight in some tea.

4 Likes

I am surprised there was much left after this first run. Hmm.

The buds all turned a bit brown during decarbing, plus those old buds were really really dry and parts of it crumbled into powder almost. Im thinking the initial dark coloration may have been largely from that browning and crumbled stuff? The first coffee filter had a layer of brown mud looking stuff in it.

That brings up another question I had while reading up on the RSO and Green Dragon techniques. The suggested soak times vary wildly from one ā€˜how toā€™ to the next. I saw soak times from 2-3 minutes (repeated two or three times) on the RSO pages, up to several weeks!

Im assuming this is largely due to human nature - most people NOT being very scientific or precise when doing ā€˜testingā€™ and reporting of results. I wonder how much partaking of the end product has to do with that as well :slight_smile:

Maybe, but any oils in the product should have been dissolved in the first few seconds of contact with everclear.

That goes along with what I read about the RSO technique. The first wash is supposed to get something like 80% of the oils out and the second, third, etc to try try to get the last 20% or so

It just occurred to me that one thing I did NOT do per the instructions, was to fill the container to the top with EverClear. I only filled it up 1/2 way, then rotated and shook it up for the whole time is was soaking. So my first two washes would have been equal to one time filling it to the top.

Donā€™t know, never been where you are now.