I don't understand the hostility... did I do something wrong?

Maybe if there had been people like @DannyTerpintine and @DougDawson around when these older (complaining) members were new, they wouldn’t be complaining now?

3 Likes

Its like the old saying, when someone hates the restaurant they tell ten people but if they like it they might tell one. You are only hearing the negative voices @DannyTerpintine so it’s time for me to say…I appreciate you, in a multitude of ways but I’ll leave it at that. Let’s all reverse the trend tell People, businesses, relatives the good things and don’t mention the bad :sun_with_face: over grow the positivity

9 Likes

I think you’re a very rational guy, you always talk really well and think of all parts before acting, you sure took a lot of time to make all these runs possible.I’m grateful for that.

I really don’t mind auctions, quite the opposite, I think you did it right and maybe you did it better than many would, selling packs much cheaper than you should.

1 Like

I said it in another thread, but I’ll say it again…

Some people almost always have bad things to say about others.

The reason I feel welcome on OG is because of people like you @DannyTerpintine @DougDawson and my friends @Berserker7205 @wherethefriesat

You welcomed me in and were kind to me. If people have bad things to say about your kindness, I truly believe the problem rests with them. I have heard nothing but good things about you @DannyTerpintine and the same goes for @DougDawson

I think there are some people who will always resent how others get good deals or win giveaways. They spend thousands of dollars on genetics or had to do it the old school way and make friends the hard way and don’t like that it’s easier now in 2021 and that people are being generous instead of selfish.

I know personally I’ve made a lot of friends and gotten amazing luck with how many seeds I’ve gotten for cheap in giveaways, trades, or just because I was kind and genuine with people… but if I tell others how much I’ve gotten for free, some of them will seem like they resent how lucky and successful I am.

8 Likes

They did though… enough of them complained, that things around here had to change. Joe’s hand was forced, and I don’t blame him one bit. It just really sucks that others won’t have the opportunity to get help if needed… But that wasn’t enough and they’re still going at it with me, in current non related threads.

3 Likes
2 Likes

that’s it?! New members are getting freebie packs and that’s the issue? As an individual you can easily vet a member in about 10 seconds before you send a pack or declare them a winner. If they’re newer than 3 months, or all their posts are shilling for free packs you are not obligated to give them anything? I fail to see why this is such a big deal?

9 Likes

No, you have to read more…lol

4 Likes

lololol… alrighty. brb :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s complicated.

I think there’s an illusion that OG was once “pure” and that $$$ is corrupting it.

There’s a lot of new stuff like dibs happening that changes the vibe.

But, whatever I believe, it doesn’t justify rudeness.

All the best.

12 Likes

People are salty. How dare there be cool and awesome things on overgrow that could attract more people to possibly contribute and give back.

I hopped on here cause I was told it’s a great way to meet new people. I try to contribute and give back. I wouldn’t be sticking around as much if it wasn’t for trades, seed runs, and giveaways. They make me feel like it’s worth sticking around and getting to know people better and that I should give back when I can.

4 Likes

I’ve pretty much tried to stay out of it. But in the one year I’ve been on this new OG (just reached the first anniversary :crazy_face:), I have noticed a bit of a shift in the last six months or so. Maybe it started with the group buys that failed to even launch due to no organization, the one that seemed to have hit a brick wall and the fires just getting put out, then seeing the site going from gifting and trading to taking steps towards a Craigslist of home chucked beans for sale. The two joti buys went smoothly, as did the first one that was done for BOG seeds. But once money is involved, server getting a cut or not, it attracts the wrong attention and sends the wrong message

Put it this way,
If I had Just joined this month, I’d think it would be normal for people to be offering seeds up for sale. With the elites I have at my disposal, I could give any f1 chucker “breeder” a run for their money all from This free forum.

15 Likes

This was pretty much covered completely in that “Environment here has changed” thread from last week. From what I gathered, people’s problems with auctions on OG have to do with this site becoming a sorta “seeds for sale” site, which is the total opposite of the “overgrow ethos.” Even if it’s an auction, done to benefit someone in need, it’s still money changing hands. I’m fairly certain that there are tons of other places to do that online.

Having said that, I’m assuming you cleared your auction with one of the moderators or whatever first, so if they okayed it, then anybody who has an issue with it should take it up with them, not you. Still, I despise auctions, no matter the reason for them. I won’t participate in them, even if it’s to benefit somebody who genuinely needs help. Like I said, there’s plenty of other places to do that.

7 Likes

Exactly. Thank you.

1 Like

I said that… I could have easily went to an auction site. But I wanted to give the oger’s an oppertunity to get packs they would not have otherwise found or been able to get their hands on.

Joe himself okayed my auction. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Yeah, the dibs thing grosses me out. I put the onus on both the people doing those ridiculous weekly giveaway things and the people lining up for them. Act like you’ve been here before.

1 Like

Right. Like I said, if it was okayed by Lemonade, then that’s on him. Maybe that’s what he’s shooting for, for OG to become one of those kinds of sites. I really don’t know. But if it does become a sort of “vending site,” I’m out. Also, if people give you shit for your auctions, tell them to take it up with Joe. Still, just from my personal point of view, I’d prefer it if money weren’t involved on this site specifically. Like I said, money changing hands, no matter how noble the cause, is the antithesis of the OG ethos.

3 Likes

But you can see the message that sends. Believe me, my family needs to raise lots of money for a full set of teeth implants for mama, but am I going to start selling my own crossing of NorCal Dosido x purple punch for $50-100 a pack of 15 to the community? Slurricane goes for $200 a pack of 10 BTW

5 Likes

I’ve been here three or four months.

I think I’ve seen someone offering home chucked seeds for sale once, and that got shut down right quick.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. LOL I mean I literally just joined a month ago. And thats not what I think this forum is about. Sure I saw a lot of greedy people who I don’t see posting otherwise doing the dibs thing on the free beans thread, and I won a pack of beans from @HaRdRoC 's server auction, but I also have a bit of self respect, and respect for others. This isn’t my first forum, and etiquette by some new members (and some old at times!) is lacking, but thats on the individual, not the forum; Those who contribute, share and help grow the community (no pun intended) are the backbone of that community, whether sharing seeds, knowledge or just encouragement.

Someone said the other day, the real loser is the guy who comes just for the free beans and ignores the wealth of information and camaradarie we have here.

So thats how I see it. The site is not the craigslist of home-chucked beans, unless you want to see it as such. I see it as tons of information, some old school growers whos brains I wanna pick, and hey, if I’m lucky I can probably get some good beans from new friends I make.

7 Likes