Is my FPE good or bad?

Silly question here. I made an FPE with some dandelions from my lawn (No pesticides are used on my lawn :wink:). I pulled my dandelions early in the morning and put my material in a cheese cloth bag. I added some homemade LAB mixed with molasses to water. I let it sit in a bucket for 3 weeks now. When I checked the bucket the other day there seems to be some mold that built up on the top. Is this batch no good now?

2 Likes

Can’t help with your concoction, but just passing by to say dandelions are beyond nutricious.

My grandparents made wine out of it too :grin:

3 Likes

I have a batch going atm and I’ve done alot of ferments. If it gets fuzzy, it’s mold. If it looks yeasty that’s normal, especially since you added LAB serum.

1 Like

At 3 weeks into the ferment, you should have a sweet/sour aroma. If it smells funky, then I would personally toss it and start over. I made some fish emulsion using pureed fresh caught salmon and trout scraps, I had a massive yeast cake on top that looked like mold at first, but got this brain like texture to it and that was normal. I also added LABS, no sugar. It took 2 months to finish and stunk to high hell at first, but went sweet/sour for the finish and clarified. Had a clear separation of liquid from solids.

1 Like

Yea it def has a sweet/sour smell to it. But that film on the top threw me off. Does pH determine when the ferment is ready? Or should you be going by the look/smell?

1 Like

Wow those are some scary looking pictures as I don’t know anything about what you are doing. Best of luck with your science experiments :test_tube:. I myself would be scared to pour that on my plant 🪴 just to apprehensive to do that.:peace_symbol:

A complete ferment will achieve a final pH of 3 or 4.