Just got a 4X4 grow tent. Should I set up a veg/clone room too?

This is probably where the sweet spot will be for me. I just want to be self sufficient and somewhat energy conscious while staying medicated to my heart’s desire.:smile:

SkyDog

1 Like

This is something that I want to try soon. I am thinking about mounting some rails to the slope so I can slide the lights back and down or up and forward based on current needs. Those fluence lights that @99PerCent mentioned look very interesting too.

I am quickly finding that there are many ways to skin this cat and there are a lot of knowledgeable horticulturists at OG. First time I popped some beans 30+ years ago, the internet had very little to offer. How times have changed.

SkyDog

4 Likes

all depends on your wants needs and budget. you could use screw in CFLs/LEDs for clones/seedlings and even veg, t5 fluoros, 250w MH, LED etc. you could make practically anything work, just make sure you have quality light for flower.

3 Likes

I’m just getting started so I have a lot to learn. I have a 600W MH/HPS air cooled light for flowering but didn’t want to run it for clone and veg so the info I have gathered here will definitely help to get me to where I want to be. Gonna have to take some small steps before I go full blown. Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

…my first thought: is this your Kingdom, or are there other folks there?..i.e if you don’t need stealth or odor control, then the price tag drops considerably. slab floor might be cold(dunno your climate). since it’s under the stairs, please do not start a fire. :sleeping::fire: that could suck.

in other words, is a tent even required?..

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

1 Like

All mine. Just me and the Wifey. At her request, I will require stealth. (Ok, honey…) I already have a covert 6" Carbon Filter and a plan for venting the air. She even wants me to build a room to contain everything. She’s planning shelving and countertop space. :+1: Basement runs about 68 degrees most of the year. I am probably overthinking, overspending, overbuilding, etc, but in a few years I will be retiring and I will want to be over medicated…

4 Likes

Haha, that sounds familiar. We have a beautiful greenhouse area yet I’'m relegated, for the most part, to the basement :persevere: I 100% understand her concerns and, despite the desire to visit the sunshine, I agree with them.

2 Likes

LOL…Someone needs to keep us in check with reality…

2 Likes

I just found out that my digital ballast will allow me to run my 600W HPS/MH bulbs at 50% and 75% as well as full power.

Does anyone here know if that will affect my bulb life negatively? I’m thinking 50% power might be great for veg since the plants are young and not as strong.

2 Likes

according to hortilux, dimming it will only change the spectrum. overdriving it will negatively affect bulb life though

Will I hurt my 1000W HPS if I dim it down to 50 percent or any percentages even turbo?

• We do not recommend dimming HID lamps in general. Dimming your HID lamps effectively changes the spectral quality coming from the grow lamp which in turn affect the quality of your plant growth.
  • As you dim your light, you are reducing the heat inside the internal arc tube. This heat is critical allowing the chemistry to mix properly with the electrical arc which produces the spectrum required for plant growth.
  • You will have better quality plant growth from a 600W light running at 100% than you will from a 1000W light being dimmed down.
  • Overdriving your grow lights is not recommended because you run the risk of shortening the life of the lamp, burning off the internal chemistry much faster and you could possible blow up the lamp.
3 Likes