LED lighting compared to 1000 watt MH

Has anybody heard of the kingcob and if you have what is your exsperience with LED I just purchased a kingcob480 watts LED lighting

1 Like

do you know what type of COBs are used, and is that 480 true watts from the wall?? there are so many different types and bins for LEDs. I think 480w of COB will probably perform more similar to 750w HID but i’m sure other members who know more will chime in with the actual numbers for efficiency etc

do you know the PPF/PPFD or PAR output of your light?

http://growace.com/grow-light/led-grow-lights/full-spectrum/king-cob-480-watt-professional-series-high-coverage-cob-led-grow-light.html#product_tabs_description_tabbed

here’s the lamp. i can’t find what type of diodes are used or the light output, maybe i’m not on the manufacturers page. but i’m guessing if they were top bin crees or veros they would be advertising it. i think $999 is fairly expensive for that light. i know cirrus has a 1000w driverless COB lamp for $999

1 Like

i used a mars hydro 400w light that worked well cheap 2 3 leds burnt out after 4 grows only cost me 200 off ebay

1 Like

72 ultra-efficient 6w LEDs, but wtf is “ultra-efficient” in their opinion. Does seem well built, guess you’re gunna have to run em and see how they perform.

What worries me is they’re leaving out recommended distance from plants, light output in any measurable form, expected lifespan of the cobs…

this is what I found on the king cob legal Canada thanks for replying so quick It’s def prob not one of my smarter purchases lol will post pics of the light when it arrives

1 Like

A single COB LED chip pulling 600W is a terrible idea! Half the advantage of LED lighting is their superior light distribution, which helps to eliminate hot spots and dark corners.

Ok maybe I’m not grasping the concept. I’ll look forward to seeing the unit when you get it.

Oh and I got this light off oof growace

1 Like

The info you need is:
Light output, preferably in PPF but lumens would be better than nothing.
Life expectancy of each diode, and at what age can you expect it to perform at 95%, 90% etc.

The price is decent if it turns out to be a good light, but it might be too new to find that information. Get a journal started and let’s see what it can do

That’s what I plan to do I will def be the guini pig and let everybody know I’m still learning tons of of new stuff everyday learning is power .

5 Likes

I have Darkstar,white widow , afgan kush chocolate skunk and so far I like the darkstar grow the best it’s about 10 weeks flowering and the buds get really dense heck who am I kidding love them all

1 Like

Ooh! The YouTube video has a three second clip of:

Spectrum

And light levels at an unspecified distance.(360w / 480w?)

For continuity, this is also from growace.

So I guess using these two specific readings, you could compare the quoted ppfd from growace of the kingcob at who knows how high, and their yieldlab 1000W HPS at 24".
Next I’ll get you some readings from higher quality HPS setups

1 Like

I’m currently running a 1000 watt raptor I love it it works great . I don’t need much to get rid of the heat in the winter however In the summer time it takes a lot of cool air to get it to the temp I want it too I live in a trailer and am growing in a 60 x60 x80 grow tent and also have a friend who is using the king cobwith great results. hey I got 60 days if I don’t like the light I’ll ship it back and get something else

1 Like

it’s 72 cobs pulling 6w each.

@Perndog it sounds like it’s a decent lamp for sure, with 72 cobs driven so low you should get decent efficiency and coverage/penetration. i don’t think 480w of even the highest efficiency LEDs can truly replace a 1000w HID though.

1 Like

we shall test her out when the light gets here I mean for the money I should get dinner and a free cab ride home lol all jokes aside when I get the light I’ll test it out and post whatever results are

do you have a PAR meter ? what tests do you mean

480W of the very highest efficiency LED so most certainly could replace a thousand watt HPS. To do it you’d need to run 100W chips as low as 16W each, you’d need something like 60 of them at prices around $25 each, plus drivers etc. So it would be an extremely expensive light and the efficiency payback would be very long.

But it remains possible with current tech- and the price is half of what it was to do the same thing 3 years ago, so there’s no doubt in my mind that the future of lighting lies in this direction.

2 Likes

60*16 = 960w so maybe i’m not understanding what you’re saying, you’d either have to run them at 8 watts or only use 30

1 Like

I’m skeptical of their claims without data to support. Do they have a YouTube video? After 6 mo. wading through the hype/BS, I’ll be getting a Lush Lighting Dominator 2X LED tomorrow (2X the KingCOB price). 70K Lumens / 900 PAR at 24" below the lamp. Lush claims 1000HPS replacement. If it’s equal/better than a 800HPS, I’ll be happy. I’ll compare it to my last grow (same strain) and post any LED vs 600HPS gains.

@Yooper63 They are sold by GrowAce and they have a YouTube channel under that name with two or three, 3-minute videos. While they appear to be well built lights, they don’t clearly state any real information besides the two seconds of a ppfd map

@Ttystikk that’s true when comparing top of the line LEDs with bottom of the barrel, street light HPS. The DE Gavitas are pretty fucking efficient though, you’d be hard pressed to match it with half it’s wattage in LEDs. To be fair though, when you consider the price of top of the line HPS fixtures, it’s really not much cheaper than LEDs

1 Like

@Worcestershire_Farms the current state of the art of LED makes what I’m talking about possible, even for DE HPS. DE isn’t THAT much more efficient than the old school single ended variety. It’s the very same basic tech with a few tweaks so that initial lumen efficiency can creep up towards 42%. It then spends the rest of the life of the lamp (and reflector!) deteriorating. Over the lifetime of each lamp, it’s even more clear.

It is also misleading to consider only the watts driving the light fixture; few grows run these lamps in the absence of HVAC, which can easily use more power than the lights themselves! The reduction of HVAC energy use with high efficiency LED lighting can and in fact often does reduce overall energy consumption by half or more.

1 Like