Landraces and heirloom

She just got hit by five inches of rain over the weekend…as did the Turkish

8 Likes

What a beast

1 Like

Try Tuna Kush, perfume terps not that uncommon. Same with some of the Balochistan varieties.

2 Likes

That Lolab/Sudan cross :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve actually been looking for this strain for awhile. Smoked this some years ago and the terp profile was very unique; a floral/perfume/spice/incense/sweet flavor and smell to it. How do y’all feel about this one for a group buy and Repro? I’d normally just shell out the money myself but I got car payments to keep up with right now. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Tuna is supposed to come from Yarkhun genetics from what I could find when I dug in a while ago:

3 Likes

Thai - Dan Chang

21 Likes

This is Frank Meijer in 1915, germplasm collector for the USDA between hashplants from Xinjiang China.In the 19th century and 20th century till 1935, Xinjiang was a big supplier of hashish to India.

21 Likes

Interesting that in Xinjiang, thats left of Kasachstan, they had those Broadleaves aswell.

Afghanistan Pakistan is one of the fewer places where the Leaves were that Fat.
When you look at Russian or any kind of northern Ruderalis the Leaves are often quiet thin or middle thing.
So, do the Fat leaves actually come from humans selection?
And if so, why did those Xiniang plants have fat leaves, when this Region had very few Cannbis-consumtion? Isnt that a special find to reason what was the cause of Fat leaves.
Either those Xinang are of Afghani Anchestry or Fat leaves are an adaptive natural Trait.

Just thinking loud.

(i just re-read, that you say they supplied hashish. Never heard of that before, interesting!)

5 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. There’s been a lol of speculation that the plants historically were more narrow leaf indica varieties in SW China. But that picture clearly shows otherwise

3 Likes

What a cool guy! I just looked him up and I need to read a book about him. The namesake of the Meyer lemon, and also the guy who brought soybeans to the US as we know them now. Awesome post @mexcurandero420 !!

5 Likes

This is pretty interesting because I just found this comment about Thai stick growing in Isan Thailand and also Laos, positing Chinese horticultural techniques. Maybe genetics were exchanged as well, in one direction or both? The quote is from the author of a well-regarded book on Thai cannabis smuggling, from an interview with a Cambodian VOA journalist.

7 Likes

Lol @District_Flora I apologize, forgot that you and Upstate were who I was conversing with in that thread

1 Like

Wow, I have lolab valley acdc f2 from hoku, I wonder how it stacks up compared too the non crossed version of lolab :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Photo was taken in Nevada, where the plants were grown.

1 Like

Oooh I’m gonna have to go down that rabbit hole sometime, I love researching these early importations of cannabis and hemp to the US, the Braceros are a particular interest and the USDA germ plasm collecting sounds like it’ll be a new one!

On Xinjiang, I wanted to drop these screenshots from a paper that’s a really good read by a living scholar who’s from Kansas:

Warf, Barney- High Points A Historical Geography of Cannabis .pdf (237.3 KB)

9 Likes

Lool no worries at all, I had forgotten about that little background about the Tuna. I thought it was the most feasible theory about its background, growing them out, the experience screamed “landrace!”

3 Likes

Could very well be. Or vice versa. Xinxiang was the world’s largest hash producer until forced to flee West thru the passes into Afghanistan and Pakistan among other places during the 1930’s. I know I’d bring my favorite seeds along with me if i was a hash farmer forced to flee. I bet the gene pools on either side of the Himalayan passes were quite closely related somewhere back in time. I noticed that short Indica pheno too. Too bad we don’t have access to Western Chinese genetics. An unexplored indica genepool likely still exists there in remote villages.

5 Likes

Just wanted to post a few pics of my best friends first plant she’s grown. It is some type of 30+ year old heirloom sativa kept by some older farmer friend that passed away 3 years ago. His nephew still grows it on the farm, here in Virginia, and gave her 2 plants this spring. One was male and the other a girl. She didn’t pull the male until it was flowering pretty good so we’ve got some seeds. I’m going to ask the farmer if he’s got any more info on it when I talk to him

28 Likes

Anymore info from where the genetics came from?

3 Likes