Landraces and heirloom

Yup. These hills hold secrets😁

3 Likes

DNA testing shows that American cannabis is one of the 2 oldest gene pools in the world. Baffling.

4 Likes

I worked for a glass blower that’s friends with the son of the man that made Sour Diesel in Albany. He said the story got screwed up and that it was a sensi star crossed to Chemdawg, Which is rumored to have been made in my area. He said he could get me the original
Another little known story is that a man from my childhood town moved out to California years ago and completely changed the growing scene out there with his genetics. I don’t know whether that’s true or not but I do believe he is the maker of the Grape Ape. The skunk or high times article I was reading only showed an outline of his shadow but I I think I know who he is…I swear if its who I’m thinking of he lived only about a 1/2 mile up the road from me. He was a shorter guy With a large Adams Apple and he was really good at basketball. Used to play ball with him in a barn About 30 minutes from here when i was a kid.

6 Likes

Thats amazing.

I see Hawaiian in Diesel/SourDiesel so thats why I bought into the story of Chem91 x NL/Hawaiian.
But Ive also wondered if Dog Bud was Hawaiian x Skunk made in connection between Rogue River Valley and Hawaii.

4 Likes

There’s so many claims to how Sour Diesel was made. I don’t even doubt that different people had the same set of genetics that made The Strain to begin with and that there were multiple versions or maybe even are multiple versions. Good strains never leave this area.

2 Likes

My parents and their friends told me how their friends were getting huge shipments of connoisseur weed out of NYC ports that then went to Westchester NY for dissemination among small circles.
Talking to others from back then, they’ve also stated that after touring the country with the Dead, that NY was the source of the best.

When I was in college in Syracuse, I had friends in the mob and I still remember their weed as some of the best ever. That 93/94 cut of Blueberry is what made me into a connoisseur, I liked her more than the chems. And we also got this stuff we simply called pepper weed, which looking back was likely a Jack Herer x African.
Most of the weed we were getting was from Catskills.

3 Likes

Wow. For us Americans, 100 years is a hell of a long time. I bet some interesting strains have come out of the woodwork with legalization (or at least with changing attitudes). I can’t wait to see what some people have been cultivating/breeding in secret for decades. The next few years are going to be a very interesting time for aficionados.

3 Likes

Yeah, ive concluded that at the very least the one set of parents made a batch, or batches, of seeds that several camps got and then they sprouted their own but called their cuts pretty much the same thing.

Like how many Dead fans from the 90s and early 2000s mention how they found the same weed in the lot in different states.
Makes me wonder how many people other than Greg and Weasel got Dog bud in the lot and then sprouted their own beans.

The only thing we know for certain - the parents are older than the stories several people made to try and monopolize the market.
JJ’s attitude and adherence to his story is a perfect example of how New Yorkers are greedy hoarders.

1 Like

No mention of Canada having some top shelf weed from back in the 70’s .

I know we imported a shit ton of hash back in the day . And BC was the pot capital of Canada back then.

3 Likes

The highest I’ve probably ever been was on the porch of a farmhouse outside Ithaca with a bunch of people who had been around there since the 70’s. My ex’s parents moved back when they retired and used to do a big Christmas gathering with all the old friends and they’d bring their best stuff from their grows or old plugs in the hills to smoke all night on the wraparound porch as we watched the guinea fowl in the big oak tree, I’ve never been as stumblingly, joyously booted as I was off of the old genetics they’d pack into a tiny little pipe.

3 Likes

When i was 19, a mini bowl of my pot stoned a circle of 12 people😁. The mini metal pipe( half size) went around 5 times somehow.

6 Likes

I personally think Sour Diesel is a strain/cut/pheno, whatever it really is, is an end-result of its held environment. It’s a really great example of how environment, or, growing region, can impact the outcome.

Even of it did originate in Cali, whether it actually has Chemdog in it or not, all of that ultimately doesn’t matter. … what DOES matter, is how its environment has impacted its quality. Had it stayed in Cali, we might just simply have yet another version of Skunk.

I was told that the USA had a pharmaceutical project starting around 1830 to breed cannabis.
It was a huge project that spanned from Appalachia (NY) all the way down to Yucatan Mexico (at what date it went south I dont know).
The US collected seeds from around the world and commissioned farmers to breed them.
This project ended in 1937, at which point many farmers kept their seeds and went rogue. This is why places like Kentucky and Virginia have amazing genetics that nobody can trace back its lineage.

So thats 190 years that gringos were breeding in USA.

As far as Natives, Ive heard the Lakota say their oral tradition traces as far back as 60,000 years. Now, if you were to suspect of that number and think maybe “seasons” and “years” got lost in translation, thats still 15,000 years - more than triple that of what Smithsonian tries to deceive us with as history.

7 Likes

Dog comes from Rogue River Valley, southwest Oregon.
People say NorCal just so people dont make an exodus to a well kept secret that is Jackson county.

And Sour D was definitely made in Catskills NY.

But you’re right about how some cuts are extremely adaptive to their environment and change phenotypes very quickly. For example, in Colorado, it loses its fuel funk.
It does best in Humboldt and NY where there is fog and cold nights in Fall and 3,000 ft elevation or less.

5 Likes

B.C. Bud has quite a reputation here in the States, and around the world, no doubt.

5 Likes

No doubt. Their genetics offered better options for East coast growers.

1 Like

That makes sense. Most of the weed grown in Canada is indoor, as is weed grown on the (densely populated) East Coast. Whereas, California became a hotspot at least partly because of the climate (please correct me if I’m wrong).

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Nice flavors.

1 Like

OH MAN, how could I forget about BC Bud. We paid a premium for that back in hi school

1 Like

I swear to God, dude, I didn’t know how bad weed got until I moved off the I-90 corridor and stopped getting upstate grown or border bale weed from Canada, and started getting brick in Philly. Until then, like you said, Beasters was as low as it went, and everyone hated it, those green nugs dripping in crystals that gave you an hour long high and a headache. We would get that Blueberry cut from the Catskills and Diesels from Albany, and a ton of local outdoor and greenhouse stuff that was just bog standard good 90’s genetics like Great White Shark, Northern Lights, Freezeland, and “Vermont Purple skunk”.

3 Likes