Landraces and heirloom

I don’t understand what are y’all talking about? If you don’t mind me asking?

@Upstate , thanks

1 Like

Your right, there quite afew Nepalese people who smoke the flower I know if some personally who grow it for flower, and there are some types there that can be very potent. I doubt that plant funky horse put up in the picture would even survive in the open there.

1 Like

Referring to @NIGHTMARE’s post above…selecting landraces with favorable traits. Is getting rid of hermaphrodites, weak plants, less potent plants…

2 Likes

Oh ok youve got a killer herm, I take it so good that youve been working on it for 4years now? Please do tell :slight_smile: @upstate thanks

I’m by no means trying to insinuate I know anything about breeding beyond that yellow stuff that comes from the tall skinny plants and makes seeds in the middle of the night while Barry White plays in the background. (this is called the pre Level 1 breeder).

That being said, all serious breeding for the long term requires growing large numbers of plants to grow all at once and find the best ones from that whole batch.

Then you start over with a more select bunch of plants and then you learn more, and maybe set a certain number aside to do a more targeted project with a couple of plants that are both what you want, and go from there, again.

So, imagine growing sativa to try the same thing, looking for the best male and female to create your imagined desired strain… with a flowering time of 12-20 weeks, this can take years. Lots of work and plenty of room to fail.

All I know is it makes me want to be in my 20’s again and make my career in breeding cannabis. For me, at my age, I try and pick a winner for a pollen chuck to make a cheap f1 for fun. Maybe it will fall into some other work down the road. Damn, I’m buzzed. Well done, self. I’ll just ease back out of here…

14 Likes

Day 87 of flower on the Ace of Haze

19 Likes

No, just saying I’ve been growing landraces only for 4 years, and it’s a lot of work eliminating poor traits.
I run small batches of plants and pick my keepers each time. After several batches I combine all my keepers.
The only plant I’m using that is not completely stable, is Old Silversides, which will make a few male flowers if different lighting is used…outdoors, then hps, then metal halide, back outdoors, then I forget an entire daylight cycle, or the light cycle is extended…
So far the offspring made with other Strains seem stable, but I always keep these seeds separate, and I breed parallel lines with all the best stable plants. It’s more of an experiment.
From what I understand, the offspring can and should be regular m/f

11 Likes

I actually prefer to use smaller numbers so I can smoke all the plants. How do you pick the best of 1,000? Or even 100? There isn’t enough time to properly judge ( smoke)all of them, smoking each one separately. I like to smoke the best prospects lots of times to make sure tolerance buildup isn’t a hidden quality of the cannabis.
I grew hundreds of my own strain out in Washington, and I don’t feel like I found anything better than what I would have found growing out 10( female) plants… Or if there was something better, the difference was so miniscule it wasn’t even noticeable.

12 Likes

Agreed. Both small and large populations yield satisfactory results. DJ Short has several legendary cultivars that were started with a small population grow in an RV trailer. Many of the “bag seed” classics come from accidents in small to medium sized grow operations. Then, at the other end of the spectrum you have the farmers of Afghanistan/Balochistan/Pakistan with hundreds of plants. They cull the weak and disease ridden plants without hesitation. There is no one way to do it, simply different methods. Grow that shit, dry that shit…smoke it. :evergreen_tree: :wind_face: :fire: wu-tang

13 Likes

This is what I’ve been trying to figure out if it’s possible? Ok so here it goes (oh and I’m going to try it because no one has been able to give me an answer so I think it might be possible) is if I pop beans from said plant without a cross and out of 20 beans 2 are morphilogically different, if I put them together will they f1 then f2? That’s the question of the day :slight_smile: @GMan

1 Like

Sheberghan balkh. And Odisha valley getting going. The sheberghan are the wider leaf.

One of the Odisha is having problems

11 Likes

F1 just means the first filial generation. Two different strains being crossed gives you f1; F2 just means the seeds made by an f1 male and f1 female…so regardless of if they are “morphologically different” the offspring of two seeds of the same strain is called the f2 generation.
So “will they f1 then f2?” Well you can’t make an f1 from 2 seeds of the same strain, but f2? Yeah, that just means they make seeds. Basic breeding terminology

7 Likes

Not what I meant I’m driving I’ll give better explanation thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok so to make a true f1 hybrid you have to cross 2completely different plants indica x sativa right, the more they are different the more diversity you will find in the f2 gen , know what I’m asking is if I could get the f2 diversity or at least some of it to express by crossing 2 morphilogically different plants from the same population? If I can get them to express some diversity? I hope that makes sense @GMan , or anyone else that might have an answer :slight_smile: thanks

3 Likes

A true F1 is a combo of two distinct IBLs, doesn’t matter NLD or BLD. These F1’s will often be fairly uniform. If you are crossing two plants that are not stable (hybrid) then the progeny will often times express more diversity.

7 Likes

Not right, no. Just 2 strains, from unrelated lines. Sat/Ind doesn’t matter. So two sativas or two indicas still cross to make an f1 hybrid. “Hybrid” in this context meaning a hybrid of each parent utilized.

The F2 generation will, for most projects, be the most diverse line. It doesn’t matter if you choose morphologically different parents or not.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s written in stone anywhere :wink: Putting aside the fact that IBL is a vague term on its own, the F(x) notation is just shorthand for filial generation number X. It’s just a generic way of comparing a kid to an arbitrary ancestor of your choosing. It has no bearing on the genetic stability of the two original parent lines.

At least, that was the impression I got reading Allard

6 Likes

Agreed. Even crossing a Super Silver Kush Diesel Cookie Monster with a OG Chem Fatso 99 would still be an f1, and the next gen would still be f2

4 Likes

@Upstate seems like someone here is looking for Transkei strain… I did have it, but someone els on OG has the seeds, I can’t remember who exactly. But I hope they grow it and make more.

2 Likes

Alright now we are getting to the meat of it :slight_smile: ok so two separate lines but what I’m asking is could it get the effect of a f2 like the opening up of the genetics/ diversity within a population? By choosing to morphilogically different plants therefore causing the diverse expression of following filial generation? I wanna say it is, but I’m probably just reaching I hope I’m not waisting anyone’s time

2 Likes