Landraces and heirloom

That would be great news! People from all countries need to protect their heritage. Americans too. Imagine losing haze.

4 Likes

@GMan

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7705488&postcount=4

3 Likes

This is a post I made 10 days ago. They did not go to Malawi. They got their seeds from somebody on Instagram, that also has other African landraces. Still legit seeds, straight from Malawi. Sorry for the mistake.

4 Likes

I don’t know how I feel about the landrace team anymore. I saw them getting some flack awhile ago on IG by irrazinig saying that their Balochistan they had for sale hadn’t even left the farmers possession yet. I don’t know if this was just an argument to discredit competition or it was true though.

Their prices went up significantly when they started getting new product(40 a pack to over 100) and they have added a crap load of new strains as of only this year. Also their Pakistan 1975 looks very similar to aunt of farouk, I would be surprised if they weren’t at least related if not the same thing. I mentioned this on IG and the reply I got was the 1975 is older, which didn’t make sense to me because aunt of farouk is also from the 70’s.

I hope some more information or grows on their stuff gets posted as I have a pack or 2 of their Colombian black that I was planning on eventually running.

6 Likes

I think the landrace team gets their seeds from all sources. @TheCrueltyDesk showed me a site on IG. They are a source of their African genetics, including their Malawi. I saw the controversy over Balochistan as well, but they showed evidence they got the seeds direct from the same collector/ farmer the Indian landrace Exchange got theirs from. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of their stuff was reproductions, too , but I dont know that’s a fact. I just wouldn’t be surprised. It’s possible they just look to collect seeds in areas they know other collectors have been to, in search of the same, or similar genetics. When I was in touch with them, they asked if I had any Mexican landrace’s. So they are looking for private donors to get their seed stock from as well. And they take the time to grow them out and make sure they haven’t been contaminated . I just received an order from them today. And while I was thinking that the price is high, I wasted alot of money so far on " landraces". So if it’s the real deal, the pricetag is justified, though admittedly high. If they are dishonest, I’ll find out. I got congo black from them, and congo from RSC. it will take some time, but maybe next summer I’ll run a side by side.

10 Likes

Today I ordered Ethiopian Amhara seeds from TLT. It was a tossup between them and ACE. Ace offers twice as many seeds for the same price but the description says its ‘reproduced over three generations’, which is fine but the TLT variety is sourced from Sheshamane, the rasta camp in Ethiopia. You can see this in one of the videos of that trip when they sourced them (on their IG page). So I went with TLT in the end as it seems pretty authentic. I also have a good friend in my town who has ordered seeds from them in the past and has had great success with a few of their landrace varieties and they definitely seem authentic. I’ll report on the Ethiopian after I grow them next season.

7 Likes

@Puddha you might also check out Exotic_Alchemy on IG. They have a Jamaican Landrace too.

5 Likes

I have a suspicion their congo is the same as the congo stock i have that i got from beno on ig. Youre correct on the whole balochistan thing, i believe that was just seed game nonsense and the indian landrace exchange just tried to throw the landrace team under the bus because he was competition. I saw the balochistan dude posting about sending the landrace team stock on his own page before all that hoopla. I believe he has gone places himself to get seeds but mostly he is a bank thats selling as a 3rd party. His colombians are legit and the same source as where cbg and ace got theirs it seems i believe the colombian black has something else in it but that happened in colombia not due to him, and tbh i believe the mango biche maybe a hybrid of colombian lines

3 Likes

Exotic alchemy is a good dude, im aware of the dude he got his lambsbread from, pretty sure i saw it once and it seems like a more modern Jamaican so i wouldnt expect something like the usc’s lambsbread from the 60’s. His colombian gold is from british hempire stock, his Highland thai is actually a “black thai” out of oregon via landrace legacy who is a solid dude

8 Likes

I really need to get one of their iranian lines i forget which one it was right now but it looked god damn amazing when i saw it grown out

4 Likes

I think you’ll be happy with your choice, though Ace seeds Ethiopian looks good too. As I’m sure you know, The Landrace Team version will give much more opportunity to pheno hunt, as they are unworked.
As I sit here, drinking my coffee, I Ponder the American phrase “unworked” regarding landraces. Imagine mentioning that to the Ethiopian Farmers that have been growing this variety for centuries perhaps. Possibly back to King Solomon. Doing things the old school way, with slow steady progression, keeping a gene pool happy, healthy and vast at the same time for many generations. I’m going to stop using the phrase unworked, and give indigenous farmers their due. Anyone who’s had wild weed will know the difference. It’s complete crap compared to what these Farmers have done.( with exceptions) From now on I’ll say unworked by westerners…

13 Likes

Aunt of faruk is from the 70’s? Im unaware of that story, all the info ive ever seen of it was just a pakistani dude the derg corra dudes knew went n collected seeds from his family’s house there. No date was ever mentioned

3 Likes

Hi! I was replying at the same time as you. I remember the same story. It was farouks aunts house. I dont remember a date, i seem to remember them saying that they had always grown these plants.

3 Likes

We almost lost skunk #1 but we can thank our old friends the british for saving that (csi has a cheese s1 and kalimans cheese no 1) northern lights no1 and 2 may as well be almost gone, big bud is basically gone. We lost a lot of our heritage strains tbh

3 Likes

Those Iranians are looking good! Very oldschool look to them. Like an untapped Afghanistan. I’m waiting for them to release a few more lines before I decide what to get. Their kermanshah looked nice

4 Likes

That’s what makes the crew here it overgrow so important. We must preserve our and others heritage for the future. You cannot know where you are going if you dont know where you came from.
I’ve been looking for a Caspian Sea region sativa called “One Puff”. Grows on the wet North Slope of the Elbruz mts in Iran in a Mediterranean type climate. But I’m also interested in the others.

3 Likes

I didnt know about almost losing Skunk#1! Nothern Lights! That’s about as American as Haze. That would have been a shame to lose those! Thanks, Brits! Look at the comeback skunk strains are making now. Old weed is like old music. A song that was good when you grew up, is still good when you’re older. Good weed is timeless. Just need to drive that point home with the kids. They’d like it if they tried it.

4 Likes

Good one! Thanks!

1 Like

Is that the Congo red?

1 Like

Have access to Exodus Cheese (UK) from neighbor, just going into flower so I’ll have to re-veg cuts, gonna fill the cloner today.

16 Likes