Landraces and heirloom

That’s an interesting map, but a little inaccurate to my knowledge. For instance, there was hemp AND weed growing in the US very early on after European colonization. George Washington grew both, and is quoted as saying that he pulled the males too late and got seeds( that part may have been Jefferson) That’s not hemp he is talking about. The ancient Egyptians grew it as well. In South America and Mexico it was there almost immediately after the Spanish arrived, and was probably there before. Peruvian mummies had resin INSIDE their lungs upon autopsy. Pre- colombian mummies. It’s possible they only traded for hash, but I doubt it. What stoner culture would be happy just buying it? If it wasn’t buds being traded, seeds are/were found in lower quality hash too, so it seems like it would have been a matter of time before plants popped up, intentionally or not. If not, Slaves had definitely brought weed to south America and Mexico during the 1500’s. Mexican Natives dancing around fires of “hemp” and getting rowdy were mentioned by the early Spanish, maybe even one of the conquistadors. ( can’t remember)
I won’t go so far as to say weed was widespread before the map dates, but it was there, and there is proof in my opinion. Pollen won’t travel that far in most cases, so if the weed was in isolated places only, pollen would be easy to miss in a soil sample. You would have to test soil every few miles to have a reasonable expectation of finding everywhere it grew. I’m still going to be looking that map over. It’s a useful guide, but not perfect. Thanks.

6 Likes

I thought i have to inform People that the Pointers might be not perfect, but cause its to tyrening to inform that didnt. The map is basically showing first KNOWN Samples of Cannabis Pollen. Thats why i have written KNOWN already in fat letters before. What they did hidden in Pyramids is, probably remains a mistery to me :confused:

4 Likes

Money. It clouds their judgement. Arjan’s love of one green was replaced by another green. I doubt he even thinks about the plant in terms of preservation. I really did like Franco though. He was made from a different mold. I hope Arjan continues to go on strain Hunting Expeditions, and I hope he gets “skunked” every time.

7 Likes

I did get a better vibe from franko but there is one episode of strain hunters I just recalled where he is holding some multi colored seeds claiming they came from the plant like that when they are clearly commercially treated seed with a coating on them. Those shows expose alot if you watch and listen closely.

6 Likes

That’s messed up. I assume to show the natives how “special” the new seed is.

4 Likes

There was a very good article about how they bring in lost Traits into todays Potatoes, wich have a very hard Time sufviving the heightend Temperatures today.

It holds good Information about if the Diversity of even Wild Potatoeas is needed , and how they breed it into. They mentioned selecting 100000s Phenos, to keep up with the remaining todays Potatoe-Landraces power

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019…tential-potato

5 Likes

I figured you knew. I was pointing that out for anyone that didn’t know better. Did you happen to read about how many samples they collected and in what regions? It’s an excellent idea, I just hope they continue to sample more and more.

2 Likes

Cant recall how many Samples. Not even shure if it was the Pollencollecting-map, but one exits, i think was this, ill look it up again, wait

2 Likes

Great article. Breeding potatoes is similar to breeding marijuana. These few sentences sum up why less potent landraces and ibls are desirable to keep around…

2 Likes

Great article.

Patient breeders using traditional methods can nevertheless achieve impressive results. In 2017, for example, CIP released four new varieties in Kenya, the result of crosses from established breeding lines. In field trials, the new potato plants maintained yields with 20% less rainfall and temperatures higher by 3°C.

Such success shows there is still genetic diversity to be tapped in existing breeding lines. But researchers fear that gene pool may not be deep enough to adapt the potato to future climates or enable other improvements. Wild potatoes, however, hold valuable, untapped genetic diversity.

5 Likes

The end of that screenshot is wicked interesting;

Potato breeders doubted the approach was possible for tubers. “I was trained to believe that potatoes can’t be inbred,” says Shelley Jansky, a potato breeder with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Madison. One big obstacle is that many potato species cannot fertilize themselves. In 1998, researchers discovered a gene that somehow allows one wild species of potato to self-fertilize. When that gene is bred into other species, it lets them self-fertilize as well. But the resulting plants are frail and produce puny tubers.

Not all breeding is beneficial. We need to test our progeny

10 Likes

its even worse in Canada. the sale of legal weed is sold in a government stores like their liquor and is taxed at 30%! they also heavily regulate you growing your own. I’ve tasted their stuff from these stores in nova scotia and its worse than the shit weed we got back in the day. dry tasteless and $35 a gram for sativa! government run anything sucks even worse than capitalism. at least here you still have a choice and free to grow your own till your hearts content. at least here in Maine. the fines and strict regulation up there is almost totalitarian! if your caught selling weed without a license the fine there is $5000 and a year in jail! thats worse than what it was before legalization which was just $300 if caught with under a oz. my stepson lives in Halifax.

6 Likes

Has a list been started yet on what people are planning to run in the Mexican run? I don’t think I will be quite ready by Christmas but have also wanted to do a Mexican run.

4 Likes

I completely agree. Unfortunately, laws are making it difficult for this to occur. In Washington state for example, every single plant has to have its own name and genetic test. When I was out there it was $75 per test. Assuming that many of the plants are not desirable, you have just spent $75 on a test for a plant you might not be able to sell. It seems to be designed so that the only people that will be able to afford such testing to the extent required for proper breeding will be Corporations. I think there should be a breeders licence available. A certain amount of square feet allowed to be dedicated towards proper breeding.

4 Likes

No list has been made. I’ll start the thread at the end of this month. I’ll need help making it a Wiki or however you say that. Similar to a preservation run, where people can edit the first post and add things in. I wish one of you guys was my neighbor and you could just show me all this stuff I need to learn. I still can’t do a damn link, although I have figured out screenshot at least.
I’ll be growing oaxacan, and maybe one other. . I know Highland Guerrero, Acapulco Gold, Michoacan and some others are being grown.

5 Likes

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that was passing out Nigerian seeds? I just received some in the mail and for the life of me I cannot remember who they came from here on overgrow. Possibly last Green Valley seeds is affiliated? That was the name on the package.

3 Likes

This is a good reason we need to not be content with legalization, and push towards cannabis being regulated like any other produce.

4 Likes

Was it @Enjoi802 ?

3 Likes

what happened to Canada ? it looked so good there for a moment, then…

3 Likes

Yes!! That’s it! I’ll get in touch. Thanks!

4 Likes