LED (HLG) vs HPS - Grand Master Level

I’m not sure. At a guess I’d say it’s because of the bin eating if the chips they’re using. Email them and ask; one thing they pride themselves on is that they use the best chips and put their lights through sphere and goniometer testing to validate their designs.

1 Like

do you mean 2a? 2000ma? i use the qb304 and 120v ~1400ma. it says 2.45mmol/joule. can also use the qb288 at lower voltage higher current. i don’t think they measure mmol/watt :confused:

i use HLG because they have great QA and provide the independent test results for their boards. they also voltage match boards etc if ordering multiple so they run as efficient and long as possible.

i’m not super excited that GML became a partner of HLG, he is now controlling the canadian market for HLG products, kind of removed his impartiality and created conflict of interest for doing an unbiased side by side… but the stats speak for themselves (par numbers etc)

finally flipped em to flower in the later episodes, this is where it’ll really start to get interesting
i haven’t watched them yet, but i wonder if he’ll be re-doing the PAR tests after he switches out all his MH bulbs for HPS

1 Like

in episode 23 he pulls out the PAR meter again to compare the LEDs against the HPS bulbs now that he’s in flower. i have to say the PAR results for those HLG 550 fixtures is not very impressive, maybe they just need to be lowered a bit. i guess light placement is one of the benefits of having a PAR meter. he was having trouble recording and measuring PAR alone so he will be doing it again in near future with someone to help

2 Likes

There should not be a problem with PAR with those lights. The plants look good, that’s always a good sign.

1 Like

Do you have a PAR meter yourself? I´ve looked into it, but got scared with the prices, for something I would only likely use a couple of times when setting my rooms. But on the other hand it would be nice to see how much light “feed” I´m giving the girls.

3 Likes

yes they are extremely expensive… i’ve heard when using white light LEDs you can use a basic LUX meter to get an approximation of output but it’s not exact or anything, just to compare maybe the center to the edges and stuff like that just to ensure even coverage but i’m not sure.

i’d love to borrow one from a hydro store or a friend or something to find out how much PAR my fixture is outputting. it’s about 50% more wattage than the HLG 550 fixtures used in the videos above.

1 Like

Episode 24

Episode 25

Episode 26

Episode 27

Episode 28

Episode 29

Episode 30

Episode 31

3 Likes

So when does it seem likely we will get the final numbers?

sorry he usually releases a few videos a week and i intended to post them as they came but ive been slacking on my weedtube consumption, i think he’s probably nearly finished the series

HLG is giving away one more 550 on friday

winners were pieeyed piper and zippy pinhead

they are giving away five 65w fixtures next friday! make sure to follow the instructions in video for your chance to win!

3 Likes

That has been a very interesting series of videos. Thanks for posting them!!!

Im not sure what conclusions you can honestly draw though - he/his people made soooooo many big mistakes in both grow rooms that its hard to tell what or how much of a factor the lights actually played in the final results.

I enjoyed watching them a lot.

i haven’t really watched the most recent ones yet, do they have any final numbers? even if each room yields the exact same his GPW will be almost 2x as much in the LED room. here’s the chop down episode

I saw they weighed freshly cut whole plants and found the LED side slightly heavier.

I will be interested to see the dry, trimmed numbers. Also any quality differences.

EDIT : personally, I am space restricted more than power restricted. I can afford the power I need for the space I have with HPS but what I cannot do is swap the HPS for something that will produce less yield per sq/ft per week.

1 Like

yeah after watching the chop down video it seems they yield fairly similar. although who knows how much of the weight is stock etc vs flower. but even if they yield the exact same amount, he’s still getting double the grams per watt so cost savings is huge when running 8kw vs 15kw

i can assure you HPS does not yield more per sqf unless they are cheap amazon LEDs. it should yield about the same if running max lumens just with lower consumption

1 Like

idk why he grows those plants so friggin tall then has no flowers on the bottom half of the plant… wouldn’t it be more efficient to flower earlier and lollipop less? i’m only on my 2nd crop though so i still need to figure all that stuff out, i think i veg too long and mine aren’t near as tall as his i don’t think

1 Like