Let’s discuss lights

Don’t buy a TSL. I’ve had mine for almost 5 years. It has served me well. But it’s dated and at that price point I think you can do better.

1 Like

I think it comes down to spectrum of light and quality and intensity of that spectrum. Something to consider is the type of lights and the environments in the creation and development of the varieties you’re seeking to grow. For example, a breeder making seeds with an HID lighting setup compared to a breeder making seeds with an LED setup. Observable expressions may vary if the spectrum of lighting and it’s intensity is changed. Just a couple random thoughts.
Much love

2 Likes

+1 on all the above :arrow_heading_up:

The current ‘rule of thumb’ is 20W/ sqr. ft. Personally I think this is on the high side.
You definitely want dimming capability, sometimes it is a multi-position switch, more often it is a linear pot. (I prefer the pot).
One ‘piece of kit’ that is quite useful is a light meter either Lux (cheap) or PAR (all of the cool kids).

Cheers
G

7 Likes

I have used many LED lights from a few manufacturers. What size space are you trying to light, and do you have a budget in mind?

3 Likes

Have you experienced issues with too much wattage? I used to be a believer in 600w HIDs and spread them out then I put 1000w in the same space and never looked back.

First time using LEDs now and mine is 35w/ft, which I think is what I saw @HolyAngel running. Curious at what level you may have noticed issues.

4 Likes

i know bunch of grows that list their lights/diodes.

theres some info below but in general, just look for a LM301h (or b) diodes (Samsung). Theres chinese, theres american made. theres debate. all work fine. HLG, Meiju, Atreum, AC Infinity, Vipar, etc etc.

6 Likes

I personally like the 100w quantum boards which comes in a bunch of manufacturers and many of which u can get for about 50 bucks or less. Noticed the 200 watt average 150bucks and basically just 2 of the 100 watt stuck together, same with the 400w huge price jump and just 4 together so really like the preference of the 100 w cuz I never have to care about a dimmer switch and allows me to have a more even canopy of light just adding another one or more if the grow space calls for it, also no fans on board for extra power noise

3 Likes

Since the discussion Is on :fire:,
What would you suggest for a 2x2x2 box?
I think 50 Watts are overkill quantum led

Oh hell yes! :laughing: :vulcan_salute:
Very easy to do with the new LEDs… It’s why I recommend a dimmer and a light meter.

I built my own light. Designed for a max of 650W (came in at 666W… seemed appropriate). I diddled about with the height and intensity until I figured it out. didn’t cook the plants too badly.

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Got just the thing for a 2x2, 90 watt at the wall and currently 50 bucks minus a 15% coupon, have had mine for 2 years now

1 Like

Wouldn’t be overkill for only 2 feet of Total h and One only auto?
@AzSeaindooin420

1 Like

I don’t think so, it’s a thin board too so should be able to get hooked right to the top of ur tent, anything less and I think u would be shooting yield in the foot

Just find an auto that takes lst well and manifold the canopy

1 Like

no harm in not turning it up to 100% in early flower i suppose, thank you for the info.

for reference its the vipar ks3000, i have no results to show for it yet, for those interested @OldUncleBen has the ks5000 if you want to check out some grows with it here.

thanks again.

4 Likes

I run 100w in my 2x2 but it’s taller than yours.

2 Likes

I see,Better find a 100 watter dimmable

2 Likes

There’s a guy here called notjosh I think who has a bunch of 18w panels hooked into a controller and can adjust wattage/board position very easily.

I don’t know much about it but it’s a cool option.

3 Likes

Well its a microgrow project for a friend,we are using a propagation tent so its very Little

josh is using this companys stuff: http://supergreenlab.com/
its designed for micro grow projects in whatever cabinet, dresser, (hes doing a fridge and a cabinet), that you want.
hes goes into a lot of detail in his thread:
The Not Fridge - nothing to see here 👀

2 Likes

This is not my picture but you get the idea:

3 Likes

i have a 100W non-dimmable light and my god i wish someone would pay me what i spent on it and take it away, ill never use it. get better results (in veg) with a few 22W 5000k bulbs i bought at the grocery store and an E26 socket costs about $2.

1 Like