Where would you start with a test breeding project?

Hey all, I must say, the types, cuts and strains are the most difficult part of being a new grower.

(I need some help choosing some seeds to pop. Skip to the last two paragraphs if you’re not a backstory kinda person :joy:)

Making the learning curve worse, I didn’t start smoking regularly and appreciating it until the last few years and would only read about strains when I’d get them.

I feel like I have a decent landscape of autos, and even feminized seeds… However, I’m overwhelmed when I try to keep up with a lot of strains and breeders and different cuts here… I picked up some seeds from someone getting out of growing. I know there is some solid stuff in there. My goal is to find a few winners to cross and find one to work into a full auto reg, just to understand the process and hopefully have something as a basis for crossing with other autos or fast photos. The genetics of all of this is very exciting to me if you can’t tell, but there’s so much history and vernacular to learn. It took me a week to figure out what MAC was lol

I come from a background in food and wine and have been lucky enough to meet and work with some of the top chefs, coffee roasters, and wineries in the world. My nose and pallet are usually pretty good, so hopefully I’ll find some good combos. All that said, I have all these seeds and don’t know where to begin. I’d like one that’s a strong fruit component, berry forward, another that’s more citrus, tropical, floral, spice, and one that’s pine forward. I tend to like sweeter strains, but I also wouldn’t mind working with something super skunky and gassy to understand it better and try one I grow for the first time.

Can anyone help me narrow these down, or offer up a trade that you you think is great for something that might serve as a good base genetics for my goals. For those of you that know these better than I do, any guidance is appreciated! Where would you start?

Spirit Train f2 OG
Lavender Frosting f2 * OG
Sour Bluetooth x Bodega Bubblegum (regs?) OG
Face Off OG Bx2 x Blueberry Bx2 Baked Beanz
GG4 x Monster Cookies Greentpoint
Dodo Fyah Baked Beanz
Grand Daddy Purples F2 Baked Beanz
GG4 x zkittles x Blueberry cookies Baked Beanz
GG4 x Flaming Cookie Baked Beanz
Poison Ivy x Dosidos Baked Beanz
Lucky Charms IX Baked Beanz
Tropicana Poison OG
Orange Grove OG
Black Snow OG
Cherry Brandy Auto OG
Euttieria OG
Low Ryders OG
Blue Cookies OG
PPP x Frankenstein
Cherry Cobbler (?)

9 Likes

Is a nice start
Good Strains
Do you have space to all?

1 Like

@BERZERK I’m going to start when two maybe three photos regs. Plan is to pop half of what I have of each and narrow it down to however many great plants I have

1 Like

Euttieria OG
Grand Daddy Purples F2 Baked Beanz
Sour Bluetooth x Bodega Bubblegum (regs?) OG
Poison Ivy x Dosidos Baked Beanz
Orange Grove OG
Or
Another set

1 Like

Also, being newer to this, if there’s a type of plant that you think will help me learn the most, I’m open to that too. Getting to understand white widow in the last year and seeing all the different phenotypes, and loving that strain is what led me here… Also, is there a widely popular cross or similar strain or cut of it should try?

1 Like

You have a very nice set of seeds to start you off with. I think for the strain with a strong berry component I would go with either Face Off OG Bx2 x Blueberry Bx2 Baked Beanz or GG4 x zkittles x Blueberry cookies Baked Beanz and the Orange Grove OG will do the citrus part well.

1 Like

All plants will teach you something, just have to be willing to hear what they want to share.

As for seeds to start just jump in pick ones that interest you as until you grow and try them you won’t know if they pair well with your preferences or not, even if currently undefined.

8 Likes

Hey man. think about that A lot of good strains. that of @darkillusion says are nice too
I recomendo the book The Breeders Bible to you learn how do the best cross. and what is what

1 Like

Awesome, that’s why I picked the orange grove up. In hopes it would fit that bill. I was eyeing up the face off x blueberry as well since I’m running some auto blueberry regs as well as some berry forward Mephisto strains.

1 Like

I’ll pick it up tonight, thanks!

1 Like

If your willing to spend a few dollars ethos seeds has orange kush cake. I just finished that 2 months ago and it tastes like an orange.

2 Likes

Sells on amazon
Good Book
You ll do a amazing work with that knowledge
Good lucky bud

1 Like

I know man, that’s why I’m hooked! What do you think of (faceoff og x blueberry) x trizzlers? :joy:

2 Likes

If they work for you and pair well for your tastes then sure.

3 Likes

good combination

1 Like

Are there any unwritten breeder rules I should know about, like “never cross an Afghani with an African land race”? :joy:

Keep landrace strains as pure as you can. Yes you can do some crossbreeding but try and keep them pure.

1 Like

I was on the hunt for a really strong orange forward strain and read about that one, good to have some feedback, thanks!

1 Like

Only downside I found with OKC is the buds while they are dense for a kush, I just wish they could be denser.

1 Like

I will get there soon enough, I’m going to try to piggy back and then build off someone else’s hard work and hopefully create something I and others like. The next 6 months will be fun, then I’ll get more serious about preservation, rarities, and purer strains

1 Like