Lighting Information (PAR, PPFD, umol/s, DIL)

Holy crap this thread has been here this whole time!? @Dewb Great find, and @cannabissequoia thank you for digging it up. You’re on fire tonight!

This.

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t measure. My budget is probably more frugal than yours…and I just have a small grow for myself and a few others.
I’ve been trying to share any and all info I come across in my quest for knowledge and accomplishment of my goal.

3 Likes

Agree. @Dewb, great OP along with the very good follow-ups. It’s funny how much information is already lurking here. Instead, we regurgitate portions of the same things in other threads. Need to figure out a way to better promote these informative threads.

2 Likes

i use a smartphone lux meter app just to get an idea. i got about 60k lux across my canopy.

edit: just found this on growweedeasy, it says measuring lux works well for everything except LED but i think they mean blurple LEDs, i’m using white light LEDs and i ended up right at the top end of optimal coincidentally so it may or may not be accurate

15,000 lux – sparse or “stretchy” growth – plant isn’t getting enough light
15,000 – 50,000 lux – good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth
45,000 – 65,000 lux – optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage
70,000 – 85,000 lux – a lot of light, some strains do okay at this light level, but some plants lose their top leaves early under this light intensity, especially plants that are not resistant to heat/light (like many indicas)
85,000 lux – at this light intensity, you’ve hit the plant’s “saturation point” which means your plant can’t use all the light (be careful of light bleaching!)

2 Likes

Another app. Installed on my android. Free beta version.

Anyone have experience with this app?