Looking to build led lights

Never used led before and currently running 1000w hps in a 4x4x80" tent. Lets say keeping temps manageable is not easy lol. What are some good resources for parts and info to build say a 1000w led? Just bought the hps so I’ll be using it for a while to get my money out of it at least. Been more than a decade since I’ve grown so a lot is very very new to me, Hell last time I grew fem seeds were just coming out and autos weren’t a thing then lol

5 Likes

Most of us end up choosing these. You’d be hard-pressed to find a higher quality or a cheaper price.
https://solstrip.com/en/

4 Likes

Another reasonably priced option would be quantum boards. Be sure to do some research first though. You wouldn’t replace a 1k watt hps with 1k watts of LED. For one, they’re spread out a lot more so you dont have as much loss of light at the edges. You also dont typically guage LED by watts, but by PPFD. You can use a very generic rule of 30-40w per sq ft., but due to the difference in lights it’s not a very good measure.

2 Likes

For a 4x4 I’d get a 16 cobs cree array. I built one for my 3x3 tent but its overpowered for it, they’re better suited for a 4x4. Quantum boards and sol strips are both good option too. I have lights made from both. One light for my 2.5x2.5 tent using solstrips and the other for my 2.5x5 tent using a mix of quantum boards and extra citizen cobs from when I switched from them to the cree array.

2 Likes

These guys make the Chilled LEDs and also provide some great info on how to make DIY LEDs.

hope you find it useful.

stay lifted!

2 Likes

I have 4 qb 120’s and 4 132’s. It’s around 500-550 watts. It’s in a 5x5. It cost me 400 plus a little for aluminum angle. You can buy cheaper drivers that run cooler actually, they’re just not wet location approved but I mounted mine outside the tent anyways.

3 Likes